Jump to content

The Book of Boba Fett (Spoilers allowed for all aired episodes)


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

Even though Holko is my mortal enemy on this forum, I'll have to agree for once. This is a great show -- the second episode was amazing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Huge mistake to make the hutts CG though.  Bad call.


I would have much preferred puppetry, though the Hutts looked fine. I assume it was cost prohibitive to do puppets, or a logistical impossibility - either because of having two on one dais (thus requiring mixing live action with CGI, which would likely have ruined the illusion) or because of COVID restrictions - three people were holed up inside of Jabba after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Bob Fett

I actually think there should be more characters named Bob in Star Wars. 

 

Meet Bob the Stormtrooper: just a normal guy who works in an desk job in the Empire who likes to chill out with a few beers and his friends Bill and Steve from the warehouse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dean Cundey's still alive and working!?  Wow!

 

 

He's probably responsible for the look of as many of my childhood favorite movies as anyone else

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spoiler
3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Was anyone else slightly distracted by the actor playing the mayor's receptionist looking a lot like Pedro Pascal?

 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2112040/?ref_=tt_cl_t_9

Galen Howard PicturePedro Pascal - IMDb

Kinda sounded vaguely similar to him as well IMHO....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enjoyed the second episode. 
 

I think the reason for the story structure is the past and present storylines will connect. The most obvious choice is that the Pikes are the ones who hired the assassins to reclaim their spice routes and get access to scummy smugglers who can transport it for them.  Seems like there’s going to be a strong connection to Solo, or perhaps the upcoming Lando show. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That second episode was actually...good? Especially the action, what a massive step up from the previous episode. I noticed there's a new director, Steph Green, and people are talking about who I think is a cinematographer, Dean Cundey, both of which did a great job. This episode felt a lot more polished and cinematic, with some genuinely thrilling sequences. Boba's acting differently enough to Din Djarin now that I'm no longer concerned about this not being able to separate itself from The Mandalorian.

Nothing egregiously dumb comes to mind unlike the last episode, and I was very pleased to see enemies actually using their guns in addition to melee options, and also not jarringly missing with those guns. Compare the train sequence in this episode to the Mandalorian S2 episode with Bill Burr and it's night and day. A lizard that crawls inside your brain and guides you to trees is...weird but I think I can just suspend my disbelief because it's in service of a nice creative sequence in which Fett reaches another milestone in his new Tusken life which is to have his own Gaffi stick made. I can infer that trees on Tattooine are probably extremely rare, and these lizards have the ability to find them, perhaps through some kind of psychic or even force connection to the user, so these would probably be a part of Tusken initiation rituals where members forge their own weapon. I like the world-building on the Tuskens, and the scene where they try and learn to use speeder bikes was genuinely funny, I was getting some major Ewok vibes.

Was not expecting Jabba's cousins to rock up, and I like that there's a clear antagonist with lots of influence in the modern day now. CGI was serviceable, they definitely looked and talked like Hutts. Pleasantly surprised to see Black Krrsantan from the comics under their employ, if that's setting up a future duel between him and Boba then I am down for it. Lots of history with those two, and seeing a more aggressive and ruthless Wookiee is nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The really ridiculous assassins from the first episode were now in the second episode called "legendary".

These are the little things that make such shows for me implausible and silly.

 

The action in the second episode was better, the score worse.

Still didn't warm up with the show.

The nicest thing for me so far are really the old references like places, sound effects. But that doesn't compensate the flaws in the story and the staging.

 

But I like this super fighter tusken guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The really ridiculous assassins from the first episode were now in the second episode called "legendary".

These are the little things that make such shows for me implausible and silly.

Huh?

Also curious, because I might've missed something, but what did you think were the flaws in the story and the staging for this episode?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Huh?

Also curious, because I might've missed something, but what did you think were the flaws in the story and the staging for this episode?

For example exactly the topic you quoted. If you want to introduce a legendary team of assassins then stage them as legendary and not as a group of idiots in the street, that run away at the first little sign of resistance by the undernumbered victims.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

For example exactly the topic you quoted. If you want to introduce a legendary team of assassins then stage them as legendary and not as a group of idiots in the street, that run away at the first little sign of resistance by the undernumbered victims.

 

They're legendary for their cowardness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

For example exactly the topic you quoted. If you want to introduce a legendary team of assassins then stage them as legendary and not as a group of idiots in the street, that run away at the first little sign of resistance by the undernumbered victims.

Doesn't Fennec Shand pretty much say that they're over-hyped? Either way I'm pretty sure they were hired by The Twins which means that despite believing that he was going to be eaten alive by a Rancor, he still gave false information. As far as the customer discretion side of things go, I'd say that's pretty legendary.

I'm not sure if they were meant to look clumsy and stupid in Episode 1, I think that was just a consequence of the poor staging, directing and action choreography.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is not just an issue of this show. This reminds me of Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, were there was this genetically opimized super dangerous dino which wasn't able to catch a little child running from him in a straight aisle. But everyone in the movie told me, the audience, that this was super dangerous. 

It is this weird "don't show, just tell" way of storytelling that gets more and more used in such kind of movies, tv shows whatsoever. And the Book of Boba Fett is no exception here.

 

And yes, Fennec Shand says they are over-hyped. But she didn't say, it is just a bunch of over-armed jerks.

 

What I also don't like how the fight in the first episode or the discussion with the Huts in the second one take place in the open street and nobody seems to take notice. That was pretty well done in Rogue One where the terrorist attack on the cyber tank takes place in the street of Jedda and panic breaks loose, civilians flee, children get lost. That was credible. Not that all the extras due to missing instructions continue walking along or just watching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

This reminds me of Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, were there was this genetically opimized super dangerous dino which wasn't able to catch a little child running from him in a straight aisle. But everyone in the movie told me, the audience, that this was super dangerous. 

It is this weird "don't show, just tell" way of storytelling that gets more and more used in such kind of movies, tv shows whatsoever.

 

Sounds like you're describing Stormtroopers, all the way back to the original film.

 

"Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise" -Ben Kenobi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

 

Sounds like you're describing Stormtroopers, all the way back to the original film.

 

"Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise" -Ben Kenobi

I knew that somebody would bring that up. :)

 

Despite of this issue Star Wars was way ahead of its time in 1977. In 2022 with all the possibilities in filmmaking there is no excuse for such flaws. My oppinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

 

What I also don't like how the fight in the first episode or the discussion with the Huts in the second one take place in the open street and nobody seems to take notice. That was pretty well done in Rogue One where the terrorist attack on the cyber tank takes place in the street of Jedda and panic breaks loose, civilians flee, children get lost. That was credible. Not that all the extras due to missing instructions continue walking along or just watching. 

Well, it is common knowledge that in Mos Espa illegal trade, gambling and slavery are flourishing! Street fights are probably the most normal thing for the Espians:bash:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked the first two episodes so far, but... Watching him in a Dances With Wolves-like plot with the Tuskens was not what I was expecting from a Boba Fett show.

 

That said, the action scene at the train was pretty good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Watching him in a Dances With Wolves-like plot with the Tuskens was not what I was expecting

 

They said the same thing about Kevin Costner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched it last night. I had a fun time with this episode. The really should have just released these first two at the same time. I dig the connection to Solo with the species that drive the Spice smuggling train (dont know what they’re called).  
 

I’ve really appreciated how in both Mando and this show they haven’t tried to keep the different eras of Star Wars separate. You can have pit droids from episode 1 right along side species from a spin off movie like Solo right next to stuff from the OT. 
 

Also that Gladiator Wookiee is supposed to be a big deal. Looks cool.

image.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Book Of Boba Fett 1x02 The Tribes of Tatooine

 

Wowzers, this was sooooooo much better than episode 1!  It was genuinely a really good episode of Star Wars television.  And proof positive why I never judge any new TV show from its first episode only, you always gotta watch at least two.


Both storylines got interesting this week.  I really liked some Hutt cousins showing up wanting to take the throne, though am unclear how they waited 5 years after Jabba's death to do so.  I loved that they had a bad-ass looking Wookiee with them!  I'm a bit confused about the assassins plot, did the mayor hire them or not?

 

The flashback storyline was also really good!  They really made Boba being trained by the Tuskens, and then training them to take over the train, really interesting and worthwhile.  The speederbike lessons were pretty funny, and it was pretty cool when it was all over that he got to make his of gaffi stick.  When they first sent a lizard inside him, I thought it was going to be like a Babelfish / HHGTTG thing and from that point on we'd hear the Tusken language translated..... but what it was instead was kinda cool, if a little confusing.  It basically just led him to a tree (A tree? In the desert) and that's it? Or did it do more to him that will be revealed over the season?


The music was incredible the entire time.  The OST album can't drop soon enough!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

I’ve really appreciated how in both Mando and this show they haven’t tried to keep the different eras of Star Wars separate. You can have pit droids from episode 1 right along side species from a spin off movie like Solo right next to stuff from the OT. 

 

Indeed. I will bet $100 that that's all Filoni, even though Favreau is writer and showrunner. Filoni is the real mythology geek here, who loves to tie these things together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We really just don't know much about the dynamic with Favreau and Filoni.  It's all speculation.  I'd certainly be curious to know more from them about how that works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

I really liked some Hutt cousins showing up wanting to take the throne, though am unclear how they waited 5 years after Jabba's death to do so.

 

Boba has mentioned at least once that he is responsible for dispatching the previous Daimo of Jabba's territory: Bib Fortuna, Jabba's Twi'lek majordomo. The guy with the white head tentacles who famously greets R2D2 and C3PO with "die wanna wanga."

 

I speculate that after Jabba was strangled and the Khetenna (sail barge) exploded, Bib escaped. (Along with Max Rebo, it seems.) Bib would've taken over Jabba's empire, and since he was familiar with the Hutt way of doing business, he kept the Hutt Twins satisfied with their payments. 

 

In the preview trailer for TBoBF, we saw Boba, with recovered armor, confront a very fat white Twi'lek on Jabba's throne. We can only speculate on the reasons for a fight, but if he kills Bib and cuts off the Twins, they would be enraged. They would be able to claim the territory based on bloodlines. 

 

Curiosities. 

 

Fennec and Boba discuss needing permission to kill a Hutt. From whom? Leia certainly didn't have permission. Will there be fallout from her action? Probably not at this point, at least not in Boba's story. 

 

Bib Fortuna spoke no English, or just jibberish. That's why they needed a protocol droid, C3PO. 

 

But the Ithorian mayor's Twi'lek majordomo speaks fluent English (Galactic Basic). The Jennifer Beals character in the cantina speaks English. And if we remember the 20+ year old classic video game KotOR, Mission Vao spoke perfect Basic, unlike dozens of other Twi'leks we meet. What was Bib's language impediment? 

 

I also like how this show, like The Mandalorian before it, freely integrates the prequels into the modern story (more so than the JJ sequels, at least so far). We know that Filoni treats the prequels with respect because of his excellent animated series.  Pit droids. Boba used the word Mustafar in an insult, which we see in two movies. It helps blur the lines between the different eras of storytelling and creates incentive to revisit the older material, instead of just ignoring it because it's popular to bash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yea, and I really liked that little 4 legged / 4 armed robot that was controlling the train.  It was so cute using multiple arms to control things, then even more cute when it used 4 legs to crawl away.  I loved it!

 

Oh and also, this time I clearly recognized Matt Berry as the torture droid, I can't believe I didn't recognize him on my own in ep 1!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I really liked some Hutt cousins showing up wanting to take the throne, though am unclear how they waited 5 years after Jabba's death to do so. 

 

They're snails. They don't move very fast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Fennec and Boba discuss needing permission to kill a Hutt. From whom? Leia certainly didn't have permission. Will there be fallout from her action? Probably not at this point, at least not in Boba's story.

 

Leia also wasn't trying to operate in a crime world dominated by the hutts so she wouldn't care about angering them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Boba used the word Mustafar in an insult, which we see in two movies.

3. III, RO, IX.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think as we see more of Boba's experience with the Tuskens, his motive for seizing power on Tatooine will be illuminated.  I expect the two strands to become one strand neatly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Holko said:

3. III, RO, IX.

 

There is no IX. 

 

###

 

The 20 minute documentary on D+ about the formation and staying power of Boba Fett is worth your time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing Mando does better than Boba is the end credits, the music is timed so the theme always changes right when it switches from the concept art to the black&white credits.

 

On BOBF the switchover from concept art to credits happens right in the middle of one of the phrases.  Kinda lame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It blew my mind when I found out she's only two years younger than Morrison.  She's a witch!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So apparently that couple sitting down in the pub or whatever are Camie and Fixer from the ANH deleted scene

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

So apparently that couple sitting down in the pub or whatever are Camie and Fixer from the ANH deleted scene

And it's the same pub too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it not supposed to be the infamous Tosche Station (where one may pick up some power convertors) or is that only speculation I saw?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Is it not supposed to be the infamous Tosche Station (where one may pick up some power convertors) or is that only speculation I saw?

Yes that's the place in the deleted scene which is the place in the episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At least they restrained themselves from throwing in a line about power convertors.  As it is, it's just the right level of fan service easter egg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I literally had no clue it was a reference to anything until the internet told me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wait what, so that's the Tosche station they're at; that pub with the couple and the thugs that Boba beats up?

 

By the way, does anyone have any say about that scene where a homestead is being pillaged and burned? Who's doing the pillaging and is it a reference to something, other than a mirroring of what happened to Luke's homestead in ANH, of course?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wait what, so that's the Tosche station they're at; that pub with the couple and the thugs that Boba beats up?

 

Yea

 

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

By the way, does anyone have any say about that scene where a homestead is being pillaged and burned? Who's doing the pillaging and is it a reference to something, other than a mirroring of what happened to Luke's homestead in ANH, of course?

 

Are you talking about the scene in the first episode, where during the flashback storyline him and the tuskens stumble upon some dudes spray-painting a marking on the outside of a building, and they hide until those guys go away?

 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we're supposed to know what that was all about yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you talking about the scene in the first episode, where during the flashback storyline him and the tuskens stumble upon some dudes spray-painting a marking on the outside of a building, and they hide until those guys go away?

 

Yes, that's the one. You're probably right that it's some seed for future episodes and not a direct reference to anything previous (again, other than the similarity to the Luke homestead pillaging).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It cannot be related to the stormtroopers' burning of the Lars homestead. That occurred in the year 0 BBY (before the Battle of Yavin). 

 

Jabba is killed and Boba Fett falls into the Sarlacc in the year 4 ABY (after the Battle of Yavin). 

 

Even though Darth Maul said Tatooine is sparsely populated, it is obviously a different moisture farm that was burned. It's been too long... Unless the Lars farm was reoccupied. Too convenient. 

 

Jay is right, though, we don't know who is doing the burning or why. I suspect the Tusken, being an opportunistic scavenger, took the captives toward the smoke to see what they could salvage, but found it already occupied. Being outgunned, they withdrew. 

 

That is an abstract theory. 

 

But the scavengers did not appear to be the same group of sand flea people who operated the train. That would imply a lot of different independent groups operating on Tatooine in the absence of Jabba. 

 

Not to mention the Mining Collective we heard about in Mos Pelgo during The Mandalorian. 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I loved that they had a bad-ass looking Wookiee with them!

 

This is Black Krrsantan, a rookie bounty hunter in the employ of Jabba the Hutt and Darth Vader and who first appeared in the comic books in 2015.

 

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/book-of-boba-fett-sees-black-krrsantan-first-appearance-boom-on-ebay/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd guess some of the more tangled cuts are Filoni, sure. But Favreau can hold his own. I'd be willing to attribute "Hey, let's go to Tosche station!" to either / both of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.