The 30 Scariest Horror Movies of All Time according to a study

Edmilson

I like a good horror movie, but they are rare.

After one glance at the list I think, too few classics, too few Korean, Japanese and French movies. Without being an expert in that area, I believe, that some of the best horror movies from the past 20 years, if not even the best, came from these countries.

I've seen seven of those. Of those, The Descent was by far the scariest one for me, mainly because I thought it was very successful in first establishing a very uneasy atmosphere via characters and claustrophobic spelunking, before introducing additional horror and splatter elements. A Quite Place and 28 Days Later were not scary; neither was The Exorcist to me, not in the slightest. Where's stuff like e.g. The Shining, or Polanski's Le locataire and Repulsion? The climax of Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers is much more terrifying than 90% of this list. So is the first half hour of Lynch's Mulholland Dr. , and that's not even a horror film.

I've seen all of them. The list is fairly heavy on new stuff, which is understandable if the empirical data is based on feedback from younger folks. But as Marian alludes to, it needs more great and scary horror movies from the past.

Rob Savage's HOST (not to be confused with Bong Joon Hoo's monster film from 2006) is a fine film (it featured on my top 20 list last year), but nowhere near the scariest film of all time, of course.

Surprised not to see THE GRUDGE there. It's one of the most nervewrecking cinema experiences I've had (the US remake), but then it might have something to do with the fact that I was hung over when I saw it, with nerves on high alert.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

But as Marian alludes to, it needs more great and scary horror movies from the past.

It certainly does, since it claims to list the scariest horror movies of all time (technically, it would have to include the scariest movies of the future as well, but that's a different issue).

It would also be helpful to know, if they are referring to the remakes or the originals when they mention "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" or "The Ring". Probably the remakes.

On the other hand, who cares? This list is bloody irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I'm surprised they didn't collect data about sexual arousal.

I once had sexual arousal, in a cinema, while watching a horror film, but that is another story, for another time :)

I don't know about "horror". It seems to me that the concept of what horror is, has changed as cinema has developed. I don't find THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE to be a horror film, even though it contains many horrific scenes.

If "horror" equals scares, then, undoubtedly, the scariest film I've ever seen, is ALIEN. I saw it on its opening weekend at the Odeon Leicester Square, front row royal circle, in 70mm and 6-track magnetic. I'll never forget it. It did to me what no other film has done, before or since: it made me physically nauseous.

That's it! I'm done with JWfan!

I make what I consider to be pertinent remarks about the nature of cinematic horror, and all you lot can do is to belittle and make fun of me, when I relayed my amorous adventure in a movie theatre. It happened one time. One time, OK?!

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If "horror" equals scares, then, undoubtedly, the scariest film I've ever seen, is ALIEN. I saw it on its opening weekend at the Odeon Leicester Square, front row royal circle, in 70mm and 6-track magnetic. I'll never forget it. It did to me what no other film has done, before or since: it made me physically nauseous.

Exactly the same reaction when I saw it in Ciné Rubens. I knew nothing about Alien and expected a sexy adventurous 'James Bond in space' movie so you can imagine how shocked I was when something bit its way through Kane's chest. Today I no longer view it as just a scary movie but as an almost religious experience, you know, the same way George Lucas and James Cameron describe 2001: ASO.