Jump to content

“The Long Goodbye” Love Theme arrangement for violin


rpvee
 Share

Recommended Posts

Any descriptions of how it sounded? Was this broadcast anywhere or recorded??

 

Were there any other new film arrangements?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Any descriptions of how it sounded? Was this broadcast anywhere or recorded??

 

Were there any other new film arrangements?


An ear more familiar with the original could comment on the sound more than me, but I do believe this concert will be broadcast on the radio. It was the only film piece of the night, though there’ll be two more on Sunday (which I was hoping would be final encores tonight, but there were no encores at all and Williams didn’t appear in the second half).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love theme? Did they call it that? It's basically just that one theme that is used for all kinds of different circumstances. It's not a love theme, really. But cool that they played it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Love theme? Did they call it that? It's basically just that one theme that is used for all kinds of different circumstances. It's not a love theme, really. But cool that they played it.


That’s what Williams himself called it, if I recall correctly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have the new release, only the old coupled with FITZWILLY. There is no 'love theme' denomination there. Which makes sense, since there isn't really any pronounced love story in the film (Marlowe certainly doesn't have one). If anything, the soulful, longing main theme/song is a commentary on the casual acquaintances in the film that end pretty much before they begin.

 

Of course, what people choose to call it is a different story, but 'love theme' is somewhat of a misnomer in regards to the film's story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Isn't "Love Theme" just sometimes a designation given to any beautiful theme used in media, at least back in the day?

 

Yeah. I'm guessing that's what happened here. If you disregard the film and its plot, and just heard the theme on its own, I guess you could say it connoted love of some sort, or a painful break-up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/10/2021 at 6:42 PM, TownerFan said:

I wonder if JW has repurposed the beautiful orchestral arrangement of the song he conducted for Harry Connick jr. during a Pops concert in 2001.

 

Yes, this is one of the most beautiful arrangements I've ever heard. Do you know if Williams did it himself?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sandor said:

 

Yes, this is one of the most beautiful arrangements I've ever heard. Do you know if Williams did it himself?

 

That one was arranged by Sammy Nestico.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha, ha. Well, Williams can call it the "Pink Elephant Theme" for all I care. It still makes very little sense in relation to the movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who cares either way.

 

I think the lyrics even imply it's somewhat a love theme - albeit one of walking away from a lover and the emotional toll that takes on someone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember Williams being interviewed when the fifth installment of the movie series came out.  He gushed over how he finally got to write a love theme for one of them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Clearly this particular arrangement is what JW considers the 'love theme' mode of the melody. Not sure how that makes "very little sense" -- arguably it makes perfect sense!

 

Again, I don't care what Williams calls it. He, or whoever, can call it whatever they want. That still doesn't mean there's any love story in the movie. Flirtation and faint acquaintances at best. For those who don't understand my puzzlement over this denomination, I suggest watching the film for yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

 

The whole point of the theme is that it's malleable. The same notes can convey a 'love theme,' a 'dramatic theme,' a jazzy/blues theme, etc. depending on how Williams presents it.

 

Clearly this particular arrangement is what JW considers the 'love theme' mode of the melody. Not sure how that makes "very little sense" -- arguably it makes perfect sense!

 

The score's only soundtrack release has a track literally called Love Theme from "The Long Goodbye."

But after all a theme is a theme. It is actually the sequence of notes, right. Just because in one track it is fast and has hammering timpanis and string ostinati for action and then it is slow with underlying romantic chords it is not one time the action theme and then the love theme. It is always the same theme.

At least that is how I understand the term "theme".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

That still doesn't mean there's any love story in the movie. Flirtation and faint acquaintances at best. For those who don't understand my puzzlement over this denomination, I suggest watching the film for yourself.

 

I've seen the movie quite recently actually. 

 

Your observation above is irrelevant to the point. I'm not arguing whether or not the film has a love story. This arrangement isn't called Theme For The Love Story From The Long Goodbye.

 

It's just the main theme in a "love theme" mode. One could argue Williams is being ironic with the title, because he's plainly aware the film has only one theme. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's just the main theme in a "love theme" mode. One could argue Williams is being ironic with the title, because he's plainly aware the film has only one theme. 

 

'Love theme mode' is a fairly subjective term, whereas whether or not a film has a love story is a fairly objective observation. But yeah -- he could have named it ironically, of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh I agree there's no real love story in the film. Personally I didn't care for the film at all, but that's another story. 

 

Still, I'd be happy to see Williams tackling random projects like this nowadays. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

The score's only soundtrack release has a track literally called Love Theme from "The Long Goodbye."

 

Only?


Varese put out one version in 2004, and Quartet put out a different version in 2012 (reissued in 2015).  Neither are complete.

 

https://www.discogs.com/release/5005803-Johnny-Williams-Fitzwilly-The-Long-Goodbye

 

https://www.discogs.com/master/915608-John-Williams-The-Long-Goodbye-Original-MGM-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jay said:

 

Only?


Varese put out one version in 2004, and Quartet put out a different version in 2012 (reissued in 2015).  Neither are complete.

 

https://www.discogs.com/release/5005803-Johnny-Williams-Fitzwilly-The-Long-Goodbye

 

https://www.discogs.com/master/915608-John-Williams-The-Long-Goodbye-Original-MGM-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

 

Eh, the first release was just an incomplete selection of tracks appended to another release. Not really a soundtrack in its own right, especially when it was superseded by a greatly expanded standalone album. IMO anyway.

 

Both are incomplete regardless and it would be great to see better elements found and a new release produced by Mike someday! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.