Rare Breed Isolated score?

Groovygoth666

Hello there, long time lurker (like many), I've been looking around and couldn't find anything here but was wondering if anyone was aware that the German Blu-Ray release of The Rare Breed has an isolated score? At least according to this site - http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=51592 and wanted to know if anyone can confirm it does have the isolated score before I go and buy a copy.

Wow ?!

I've never seen this mentioned before! Has this slipped under the radar all this time?

The Rare Breed is one of the few scores JW has reportedly vetoed from being released on soundtrack, so if an isolated score is available in DTS-HD stereo on an overseas Bluray, that's newsworthy indeed.

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow ?!

I've never seen this mentioned before! Has this slipped under the radar all this time?

The Rare Breed is one of the few scores JW has reportedly vetoed from being released on soundtrack, so if an isolated score is available in DTS-HD stereo on an overseas Bluray, that's newsworthy indeed.

Yeah in my searching I saw that Roger over at Intrada had said the Rare Breed was vetoed by Williams himself, and there being no news here about an isolated score was a bit of a shock, especially if it is true that it's real 😅.

Did a quick search of the forums and couldn't find any mentions of Rare Breed ever having an isolated score released.

Question is whether the info is accurate and if it's only on the German region version. Seems weirdly secretive -- not listed on the back cover, not accessible via the menus, only available by changing the audio stream while watching the film.

And what source did they use? Was the music stem handy or did they assemble it from scratch from the scoring session tapes? Wasn't Rare Breed one of the scores they found in the vaults and had transferred in high-res, even though JW doesn't want it released currently? Same with Story of a Woman.

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

According to a review on amazon.de the additional soundtrack not only contains the score but also all the sound effects, just without the voices.

On 01/10/2021 at 12:25 AM, GerateWohl said:

According to a review on amazon.de the additional soundtrack not only contains the score but also all the sound effects, just without the voices. 

But hey, it's just 6 Euro.

https://www.amazon.de/Rancho-River-Rare-Breed-Blu-ray/dp/B072FHQTXK/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=rare+breed+blu&qid=1633191463&sr=8-1

INTERESTING: There is also a third audio track (can only be set using the remote control), which contains all film sounds including the soundtrack, but no voices. Such audio tracks are probably sent to dubbing studios, for which they prepare the corresponding local synchronization.

Shame that it includes sound effects. Although the old and generous Silva suite still "makes do", I would heartily welcome a separate score release for this, perhaps coupled with THE PLAINSMAN. Love the theme for the Vindicator.

I just listened to Silva's suite again - a really nice piece. (although you've got to be kidding to call 8 minutes from a score 'generous').

Is it me, or does it have a slightly Vaughan-Williams vibe to it?

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

Although the old and generous Silva suite still "makes do"

That was such a wonderful surprise back in the day! I miss those Silva suites...

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I just listened to Silva's suite again - a really nice piece. (although you've got to be kidding to call 8 minutes from a score 'generous').

It's way longer that 8 minutes...

The Rare Breed (Suite)(18:33)

1-11 Universal Emblem / Hilary's Plight / Double Crossed / Tallow Ho 5:30

1-12 Scottish Romeo / The Hunt 2:41

1-13 On His Own 5:59

1-14 The Cross-Breed / End Credits 4:23

https://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-Close-Encounters-The-Essential-John-Williams-Film-Music-Collection/release/8681002

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

I would heartily welcome a separate score release for this, perhaps coupled with THE PLAINSMAN. 

Could work, like those Goldsmith at 20th releases from LLL. Seems like Plainsman and Rare Breed would be quite complimentary for such a release. 

Only problem being Williams doesn't want Rare Breed released for reasons unknown, and presumably Plainsman is in the same boat. Hope Mike can work his magic on this someday. 

On 01/10/2021 at 6:25 AM, GerateWohl said:

Wow, two things for the price of one!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps it's the performance.

But it was deemed apt for cinema release by a major studio...

It's not like it is an private recording of williams playing the piano when he was young and unexperienced...

What was the original release that contained the Rare Breed suite? There have been so many compilations released over the years with previously released material, I am curious how this was initially presented.

On 01/10/2021 at 5:25 AM, GerateWohl said:

So the score is not "isolate" then 🤔.

22 hours ago, blondheim said:

What was the original release that contained the Rare Breed suite? There have been so many compilations released over the years with previously released material, I am curious how this was initially presented.

https://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-Close-Encounters-The-Essential-John-Williams-Film-Music-Collection/release/8681002

I like this rerecording very much and am glad that it exists. It is not perfect, but it conveys a excellent representation of this soundtrack that is not available otherwise. 

On 01/10/2021 at 5:27 AM, crumbs said:

Question is whether the info is accurate and if it's only on the German region version. Seems weirdly secretive -- not listed on the back cover, not accessible via the menus, only available by changing the audio stream while watching the film.

There are a number of isolated scores (or similar features) where I can't for the life of me understand why they're on there. Mostly because either they're in such an inconvenient place, or the score itself is so short or low-key that watching the iso for the whole movie would not be a productive experience.

In this case, the German reviewer has a good point - the track here sounds like a dubbing track... could it even have been somehow accidentally included during the process of prepping the German dub? Particularly if there's no reference to it in packaging or menus and it's just 'there'.

In terms of benefit, I suppose that if this movie is only stereo or mono where we don't have the luxury of a 5.1 mix to remove the centre channel, this track allows those who like the score to do that process.

I do have the rerecordings but having not seen the film don't know how well they represent the whole score, and I do like them just if there's an option for more music I'll always go for that. I hadn't seen the Amazon review that said it was a score and sfx track, it is a weird one that it's not listed as a feature and you have to choose it from the audio options. @aescalle have you had a chance to check this out yet? @crumbs the homer swearing was pretty much on point 😂. @ciarlese yeah that's my bad, the website I linked to only said it was a isolated score, so had no idea that it would have sfx as well.

11 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

I do have the rerecordings but having not seen the film don't know how well they represent the whole score, and I do like them just if there's an option for more music I'll always go for that. I hadn't seen the Amazon review that said it was a score and sfx track, it is a weird one that it's not listed as a feature and you have to choose it from the audio options. @aescalle have you had a chance to check this out yet? @crumbs the homer swearing was pretty much on point 😂. @ciarlese yeah that's my bad, the website I linked to only said it was a isolated score, so had no idea that it would have sfx as well.

Still waiting for my bluray copy.

The existing running bootleg with what should be the complete score has a count of 19 tracks. 32 minutes of music for this movie.

6 minutes ago, aescalle said:

Still waiting for my bluray copy.

The existing running bootleg with what should be the complete score has a count of 19 tracks. 32 minutes of music for this movie.

No worries. That's interesting, not heard of there being a bootleg for this one, but if the complete score is only 32 minutes then the rerecordings will cover pretty much most of it. I wonder if Williams had any say in the rerecording suite, if there's a little over 10 minutes not covered by it why he would not want a label to do a proper release? 

1 hour ago, Groovygoth666 said:

No worries. That's interesting, not heard of there being a bootleg for this one, but if the complete score is only 32 minutes then the rerecordings will cover pretty much most of it. I wonder if Williams had any say in the rerecording suite, if there's a little over 10 minutes not covered by it why he would not want a label to do a proper release? 

Yes it is 14 minutes missing. A lot of JW scores from this period get a short amount of music in total.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just recieved it. Didn't really pay attention to it. The music should sound like all the actual international Bluray releases. It is a track for dubbing... so it should be a professional quality (A quality from 1970 ;)) and should be provided by Universal. The isolate track comes with all the SFX you can hear in the film. Just the dialogues are missing.

Each Menus and Bonus galleries have a piece of the Score.

I also have the Kino Lober edition. I will check later.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info @aescalle, it may not be ideal but at least it's something.

@crumbs possibly because it's an earlier score and doesn't feel it's up to the standard he holds now? At least that's the only reason I can think of, same as Sugarland Express and Story of a Woman?

Given the elements were freshly transferred (but Intrada couldn't release them), it's a shame they didn't take this opportunity to do an isolated score for this film.

Same with Story of a Woman when that came out on Bluray a few months back.

Agreed, but does John Williams have a say in if a film can have an isolated score? Or would it be more of a courtesy from the studio's to ask? 

On the one hand it's kind of a comfort to know some of these scores have been transferred recently and probably preserved, but it's a shame that they may not get a release.

I doubt he'd be aware of it. I think Mike has occasionally included session chatter on his isolated scores between cues, which is something JW has strongly resisted on album releases. 

Then I guess with know one pushing for it these films miss out on iso scores.

I'm pretty sure there's session chatter on Stanley and Iris, even a little bit on one of the Harry Potter recording sessions, which is kind of interesting to hear. It works when watching a film as it fills up the silence between tracks, but Williams also doesn't like much of his source music getting released so it's easy to see why it'd be left off an album.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:57 AM, Groovygoth666 said:

Agreed, but does John Williams have a say in if a film can have an isolated score?

Nope!

Or would it be more of a courtesy from the studio's to ask? 

They could ask out of courtesy if they wanted to, but I doubt any ever bothered

On the one hand it's kind of a comfort to know some of these scores have been transferred recently and probably preserved, but it's a shame that they may not get a release.

I'm confident they'll get released someday

On 17/11/2021 at 8:48 PM, Jay said:

Nope!

They could ask out of courtesy if they wanted to, but I doubt any ever bothered

I did think that would be the case, at least on the films that have had isolated scores someone pushed for them, would be nice if there was more interest to do them though.

On 17/11/2021 at 8:48 PM, Jay said:

I'm confident they'll get released someday

Yeah they probably will eventually, although it would be interesting to hear why Williams himself doesn't want certain scores expanded.

• 10 months later...

@aescalle Any chance you could provide a breakdown of the score as heard in the isolated track?

To the best of my knowledge, details of this new isolated SFX/music track haven't been shared anywhere. Any ideas what the bitrate of the audio track is, or how it sounds generally?

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/09/2022 at 2:29 PM, crumbs said:

@aescalle Any chance you could provide a breakdown of the score as heard in the isolated track?

To the best of my knowledge, details of this new isolated SFX/music track haven't been shared anywhere. Any ideas what the bitrate of the audio track is, or how it sounds generally?

Hi, @crumbs , I am quite busy by these days to make a breakdown, but I will share a file if I get some free time to do that! ;)