John Williams conducts Filarmonica della Scala, Milan, Italy, 12 December 2022!

Jay

2 hours ago, Steve said:

So this means no chance to get tickes for us mere mortals?

It depends. Are tickets to big concerts at La Scala sold out before the general sale?

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/04/2022 at 3:28 PM, Biodome said:

It depends. Are tickets to big concerts at La Scala sold out before the general sale?

Depends on how many members are interested. Onwards to October...

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Anyone got any intel if there will be tickets for non members?

Good question.

My guess is that members who had tickets for the cancelled 2021/2022 event are being carried over to this "extraordinary" concert (which is apparently not the same as an "exceptional" concert: Teatro alla Scala).

But "extraordinary" could just as well mean that ticket sales are open to everyone and not bound to any membership or subscription.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but the wife and I are attending this concert and look forward to meeting up with anybody else from here going!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but the wife and I are attending this concert and look forward to meeting up with anybody else from here going!

Are tickets on sale or how did you get them?

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Definitely!  

Made several friends at Vienna and Berlin from the forum meet-ups!

7 hours ago, Romão said:

I've become a sort of a JW European Groupie, where these concerts are the perfect pretext to visit some great and interesting city and region. It was more than worth it with London, Vienna and Berlin

Exactly - loved exploring Vienna and Berlin’s history while there.  Hope same in Milan!

12 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Exactly - loved exploring Vienna and Berlin’s history while there.  Hope same in Milan!

Yeah, and even when John Williams didn't show up in Vienna in 2018 I enjoyed the city with performances of Lohengrin and Beethoven's Ninth - something I wasn't really expecting to happen in my life.

Like travelling to Milano in December...

On 02/08/2022 at 7:17 PM, Romão said:

I've become a sort of a JW European Groupie, where these concerts are the perfect pretext to visit some great and interesting city and region. It was more than worth it with London, Vienna and Berlin

Like an orchestral version of the Grateful Dead's Deadheads.

Pin page

I've spent most of my JW fandom having to travel to US from Ireland to see JW in concert, so his European concerts are very convenient indeed and for that reason they are pretty much unmissable for me if I can get a ticket.

On 03/08/2022 at 9:50 AM, BB-8 said:

Like travelling to Milano in December...

Funny thing is ... I will travel to Milano over Torino anway because I want to meet an old soulmate whose music studio is based there since about 20 years. We will ride the train to Milano then, get near the concert and if we really have tickets by some kind of miracle we will attend. :D Otherwise we will still have a great time in these two amazing Italian cities. Bellissimo!

• 1 month later...
On 01/08/2022 at 8:49 PM, Jay said:

I don't know if you already have your tickets. Me and my wife expect to buy them on 10/10 or before of there is any other possibility. It would be funny meeting you there!!!

1 minute ago, Luisor said:

I don't know if you already have your tickets. Me and my wife expect to buy them on 10/10 or before of there is any other possibility.

On 01/08/2022 at 4:35 PM, Jay said:

Tickets aren't on sale until October but I have no reason to think I won't be able to get some

1 minute ago, Luisor said:

It would be funny meeting you there!!!

Why would it be funny?

Still undecided on this. Unfortunately it overlaps exactly with my choir's Christmas party (the first since before the pandemic), so I'm reluctant to go. My fomo wouldn't be too great if it's more or less the same programme as previously in Vienna and Berlin, but on the other hand I'd miss meeting everyone again.

• 2 weeks later...

Other than Helena's Theme, this is all stuff I've already seen live in concert countless times.  And even Helena's Theme I caught live in LA.  Oh well.  The experience is what matters!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Is Rebel Hearts the name of this film in Italy?

Yes 😅

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Love theme from Superman! But no HSATP... Still a nownderful program.

Trying to figure out what HSATP is with no luck so far, can you help please?

A bit too many repetitions in relation to Berlin and Vienna, but still a few surprises (Love Theme from Superman, wow!), and maybe during the encores Williams will add something. I would also prefer if instead of Princess Leia's Theme in the program there was Han Solo and the Princess, and for example instead of Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra - The Adventures of Mutt, which hasn't been played for a long time. But I also understand that from Williams' point of view it's important that the concert is as attractive as possible as a whole, unrelated to other concerts. And I imagine that he wants to conduct certain pieces in this special place, with this particular orchestra, whether they were performed in Berlin and Vienna or not.

I agree, what really matters is experience. I'm sure it'll be as unique and exceptional as previous European concerts.

It would be great if this concert was also filmed and released!

I think this is a wonderful program. For most people attending the concert, this will be the first time they see John Williams conduct and hear his music performed live. 

Most will be pleased -and expecting- to hear his most famous and iconic pieces.

Although I understand it would be interesting for die hard fans who've attended concerts before if he would perform Night Journeys from Dracula or the Love Theme from The Missouri Breaks, in all honesty: this is the right program for this specific moment. 

11 minutes ago, Sandor said:

I think this is a wonderful program. For most people attending the concert, this will be the first time they see John Williams conduct and hear his music performed live. 

Although I understand it would be interesting for die hard fans who've attended concerts before if he would perform Night Journeys from Dracula or the Love Theme from The Missouri Breaks, in all honesty: this is the right program for this specific moment. 

Quite right.

1 hour ago, Sandor said:

That's true. Same was the case at the Berlin concert.

But already there I wondered, even for a greatest hits concert why he programmed some redundancies. He played Marion's theme and Raider's March which basically contains Marion's Theme already. He played Hedwig's Theme and Nimbus 2000, which is Hedwig's Theme for woodwinds. He played Princess Leia's Theme and Throne Room and Finale, which contains Leia's Theme.

Here we have Love Theme from Superman and Superman March which contains Love Theme and again the Leia / Throne Room combo.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Do we think a recording is likely?

John Williams can't fart in continental Europe without Deutsche Grammophon releasing it in 5 different deluxe editions.

Any suggestions on what steps (pre-registering, making an account, etc.) could be done in advance, to give the best chance of securing tickets for this concert?

4 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

My theory is that during the rehearsals in Vienna Williams recorded the Vienna Promenade, which he composed for the Vienna Philharmonic for the Annual Ball, which was postponed to 2023 due to the pandemic - so he couldn't conduct it at the concert in March. If I'm right, Vienna 2 will be released next year, including Vienna Promenade recorded during rehearsals.

I hope this is the case. I have a hard time believing that JW composed a piece specfically for the VPO, and then came to them, could have easily recorded it, but did not.