John Williams conducts Filarmonica della Scala, Milan, Italy, 12 December 2022!

Jay

I feel like he expects that most people are "first timers" or whatever and these are "the hits". There are a ton of pieces that he used to play in Boston over the years that don't come up anymore that were standards every year. Superman was one of them. He played Dracula several times, and Memoirs of a Geisha was on the program almost every year for quite a while. But i can remember a time when Star Wars (besides the theme) was never played.

Hey guys, just registered here. I wonder, how in the world Jurassic Park aint in the program!? Will be my first time seeing John, and JP is one of my all time favs. Is there somehow we can get in touch with his team/email them regarding this? :mellow:

1 hour ago, Hodel33 said:

Is there somehow we can get in touch with his team/email them regarding this? :mellow:

Have you tried writing a petition to the Pope? Or the UN Secretary General? I've heard they have the power to get in touch with Williams's team.

42 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Have you tried writing a petition to the Pope? Or the UN Secretary General? I've heard they have the power to get in touch with Williams's team.

Love the sarcasm.. but u dont find it weird that he won't include JP? Thats like Hans Zimmer wouldnt include Inception, Gladiator, Lion King.. why wouldnt u include one of ur biggest scores to date!?

John Williams is like Paul McCartney who could do a 3 hour concert with just Yesterday, Hey Jude, and Let It Be and no other #1 Lennon/McCartney singles (throw in his usual Something tribute for George), nothing from Revolver or Sgt Pepper's, and people would still be happy hearing other Beatles songs and solo stuff. 

I've seen JW three times and Jurassic Park has never been on the program, sadly. But he has conducted it many times. I think Star Wars is the only thing that is too popular to exclude and even there he has many pieces to choose from, but at least one has to be from IV or V.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

John Williams is like Paul McCartney who could do a 3 hour concert with just Yesterday, Something, Hey Jude, and Let It Be and no other #1 Beatles singles, nothing from Revolver or Sgt Pepper's, and people would still be happy hearing other Beatles songs and solo stuff. 

I've seen JW three times and Jurassic Park has never been on the program, sadly. But he has conducted it many times. I think Star Wars is the only thing that is too popular to exclude and even there he has many pieces to choose from, but at least one has to be from IV or V.

No JP in three different programs.. damn :/ makes me sad. JP means so much to me. It's my fav JW OST out of em all I think :)

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

I would rather have TROS.

I fully agree thou that it should be in the Star Wars section! Very strange not to include that amazing piece of music :heart:

4 minutes ago, rpvee said:

The first time I saw Williams live (Boston Film Night 2008), there was no Star Wars in the program.

Woah.. That's insane to me.. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic, Indiana should all be in there, always :)

I would say between 2010 to 2015 (whenever the new star wars came out) he actually didn't play much of those classic hits at all, although he did pull out some really nice stuff like Empire of the Sun and Saving Private Ryan. He did play Memoirs of a Geisha and then Lincoln every concert for a while though. Its interesting that out of all the movies from that decade, he still plays all that music even War Horse, but I think he played Book Thief literally once at Tanglewood on Parade and then never again.

16 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I would say between 2010 to 2015 (whenever the new star wars came out) he actually didn't play much of those classic hits at all, although he did pull out some really nice stuff like Empire of the Sun and Saving Private Ryan. He did play Memoirs of a Geisha and then Lincoln every concert for a while though. Its interesting that out of all the movies from that decade, he still plays all that music even War Horse, but I think he played Book Thief literally once at Tanglewood on Parade and then never again.

Ahh ok! Thx for the lovely info. I really have no clue regarding what John used to play, so I love hearing about it.
Damn I love Saving Private Ryan + Memoirs of a Geisha OSTs! Thou I haven't seen Memoirs, need to do it asap. As well as Empire of the sun! Maybe saw it when I was a kid, but don't remember anything..

16 hours ago, Tom said:

He used to include of a fairly good deal of non-Williams's music in these sorts of concerts.  The "all Williams" programs are relatively recent.  

Ahh he did? That's cool. Like what kind of non JW music? :)

16 hours ago, Hodel33 said:

Ahh ok! Thx for the lovely info. I really have no clue regarding what John used to play, so I love hearing about it.
Damn I love Saving Private Ryan + Memoirs of a Geisha OSTs! Thou I haven't seen Memoirs, need to do it asap. As well as Empire of the sun! Maybe saw it when I was a kid, but don't remember anything..

Ahh he did? That's cool. Like what kind of non JW music? :)

Usually other film music--Horner, Waxman, Barry, etc.  Stars and Stripes Forever ended many, many concerts.  

8 hours ago, Hodel33 said:

Woah.. That's insane to me.. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic, Indiana should all be in there, always :)

Ok, you’ve labelled Williams’ choice of repertoire as ‘strange’, ‘weird’ and ‘insane’ over the course of just one day, just because he chooses not to play all his ‘hits’ during concerts.

The most obvious reason is that he has composed such an amazing wealth of iconic pieces, that if he would program them all every time he gets on stage, he would never have the opportunity to perform music from Lincoln or Far And Away.

It is so common that artists from any genre don’t play all the fan favorites.

I’ve seen Morricone in concert and he didn’t program Once Upon A Time In The West. It was a wonderful concert nonetheless and -to my delight- I got to hear a few pieces I never heard before instead.

That is not ‘insane’ or ‘weird’ at all. I think it’s called creative freedom and thankfully Williams gets to choose the pieces he wishes to conduct and not the ‘fans’. 😉

8 hours ago, Hodel33 said:

The one time I saw Williams live, he didn't play Indiana nor Jurassic. While those are also two of my favorites, I wouldn't want to remove anything from the program I heard to make room for those necessarily.  If you're curious about what he has played in the past you can check out the Concert Reviews. It usually has the program listed I think. 

5 minutes ago, Toillion said:

The one time I saw Williams live, he didn't play Indiana nor Jurassic. While those are also two of my favorites, I wouldn't want to remove anything from the program I heard to make room for those necessarily.  If you're curious about what he has played in the past you can check out the Concert Reviews. It usually has the program listed I think. 

The one concert I attended (Tanglewood 2010), didn't include JP, SW or Indiana Jones as well. I got to hear selections from JFK, Memoirs Of A Geisha, Harry Potter and Seven For Luck. Wouldn't want to trade it for anything else. 

2 hours ago, JTGL said:

The sale starts tomorrow. Fingers crossed !🙏🏻 Hopefully everybody is able to get tickets.  

Anyone have the link to buy tickets 🎟️ (chance is small but worth a shot 🥲)

5 hours ago, Sandor said:

Ok, you’ve labelled Williams’ choice of repertoire as ‘strange’, ‘weird’ and ‘insane’ over the course of just one day, just because he chooses not to play all his ‘hits’ during concerts.

The most obvious reason is that he has composed such an amazing wealth of iconic pieces, that if he would program them all every time he gets on stage, he would never have the opportunity to perform music from Lincoln or Far And Away.

It is so common that artists from any genre don’t play all the fan favorites.

I’ve seen Morricone in concert and he didn’t program Once Upon A Time In The West. It was a wonderful concert nonetheless and -to my delight- I got to hear a few pieces I never heard before instead.

That is not ‘insane’ or ‘weird’ at all. I think it’s called creative freedom and thankfully Williams gets to choose the pieces he wishes to conduct and not the ‘fans’. 😉

Yeah I know exactly what u mean. Same thing in the electronic music scene. Old legends sometime don't play their biggest hits. Well what can I say. I think one should always think of ur old fans. Never forget them :)

5 hours ago, Toillion said:

Thx! Will check :)

Also it hit me that this concert is Dec 12, which is Christmas time. Strange "Home Alone" isn't included. Can't be more appropriate than this time of year to hear it from the master himself. Damn I love that OST :)

1 hour ago, Hodel33 said:

Yeah I know exactly what u mean. Same thing in the electronic music scene. Old legends sometime don't play their biggest hits. Well what can I say. I think one should always think of ur old fans. Never forget them :)

I think the fans in question can think about him as well. The man is 90 years old and still conducting his music around the world. If he chooses not to play Jurassic Park at a certain concert (but programs other crowd pleasers instead), that's HIS decision to make and we should ONLY be in gratitude that he's still around making those decisions in the first place. 

51 minutes ago, Sandor said:

I think the fans in question can think about him as well. The man is 90 years old and still conducting his music around the world. If he chooses not to play Jurassic Park at a certain concert (but programs other crowd pleasers instead), that's HIS decision to make and we should ONLY be in gratitude that he's still around making those decisions in the first place. 

I hear u. Ur right as well, but there's always 2 sides to the story :)
But generally speaking, not specifically reg JW, but if people pay to go to a concert of some famous artist and that person doesn't play any of the music which made him/her famous, that's not so cool wouldn't u say? I think there's a fine line between the artist's creative freedom and caring about the fans. A balance ofc :) 

3 hours ago, apples said:

Anyone have the link to buy tickets 🎟️ (chance is small but worth a shot 🥲)

Here is the link: https://www.vivaticket.com/it

Are the chances slim to get tickets? Sales starts at 14:00 PM and I will be ready with two laptops at 13:30 PM.:D I don't wanna miss it.  

3 minutes ago, Steve said:

Wasn't there a presale for members? 

Is this site only in italian or also english? I can only see it in italian.

I will see tomorrow if there are tickets left or not. I am optimistic. You can switch the website to English ( upper richt Italian Flag ). 

2 hours ago, JTGL said:

Here is the link: https://www.vivaticket.com/it

Are the chances slim to get tickets? Sales starts at 14:00 PM and I will be ready with two laptops at 13:30 PM.:D I don't wanna miss it.  

Thanks mate 🙂

@JTGL Question: how do you know the sales start at 14:00 😊

Thanks again!

42 minutes ago, apples said:

Thanks mate 🙂

@JTGL Question: how do you know the sales start at 14:00 😊

Thanks again!

Geen dank ;)!

When you go to the information page you see the sale starts at 14:00: https://shop.vivaticket.com/en/sell/?cmd=prices&pcode=9819358&tcode=vt0007867&qubsq=0e7337bf-a772-44f2-a100-97281adfffed&qubsp=2959d179-939d-4677-a98b-c598d5962923&qubsts=1665340555&qubsc=bestunion&qubse=vivaticketserver&qubsrt=Safetynet&qubsh=0ddf44b1704c2cfb8a758686f2312edc

On a general note, thank god Williams is freely able to choose, repeat, reject or include whatever he wants. No matter what he chooses there’ll always be somebody who doesn’t get their favorite.

I for one am pissed that neither of the three times I’ve seen him, did he choose to include any of these, all of which I know for a fact he’s just keeping for himself, hidden away in a dusty old drawer…

Polyjuice Potion (concert arrangement) from Harry Potter And The Chamber of Secrets

Qui-gon Jinn’s Theme (concert arrangement) from The Phantom Menace

Wet Bandits' Theme (concert arrangement) from Home Alone

Thompsons' Theme (concert arrangement) from Tintin

Any hooooo… No matter what the maestro choses to play in Italy, I’m sad I won’t be able to be there.

But good luck ya’ll on getting tickets tomorrow! Make sure to take lots of photos to make the rest of us jealous! 😊

Williams *is* playing plenty of his greatest hits in those concerts. He's just also playing some other great pieces that are not usually counted among the greatest of his greatest. You could criticise him for doing that (you'd be wrong), but even if he'd do a 4 hour concert with just his greatest hits, you could still complain about several hours of equally greatest hits not being included, because he's written so many. That your *personal* favourite may not be included in the programme is a pity for you personally, but a highly subjective regret - substituting any of the other pieces for it is likely to rob someone else of their personal favourite in turn.

On that note, I guess I'll be skipping Milano. It's a scheduling conflict for me, and the programme really has a lot of overlap with Vienna I, Berlin, and Vienna II. Helena would be nice, but it's not enough for me to make this a top priority. Although I'll be sad to miss the big JWFan reunion, and especially to miss meeting @TownerFan on his home turf and reuniting with some people I rarely have a chance to reunite with, like @Jay (and Marcy) who I've only met twice (once).

One strange thing I've noticed is that a week ago, when I checked which seats had already been taken by subscribers, the stalls and many of the boxes seemed to be mostly sold out. However, now, there are many more seats available. Does anyone know what could have happened here?

image.png

image.png

Which seats are the safest bet? Stalls in the middle?

Looks like the balcony seats have the best view (orange in the layout image above) but I assume you can't select the actual seats, only the category. There's also the risk these will sell out before completing the booking, so you might end up with nothing.

You also might end up with a balcony seat at the back of the theater, which would be further away than the seats in the middle.

63205627ef3b8bf3ebf37ae2_Filarmonica%20d

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Which seats are the safest bet? Stalls in the middle?

Depends on what you mean by "safest bet". Stalls do offer the best sound experience, but I imagine they will sell out relatively fast, starting from the front and center seats.

Looks like the balcony seats have the best view (orange in the layout image above) but I assume you can't select the actual seats, only the category.

You can select individual seats in the boxes. If you do, however, try to pick one of the two front row seats. The seats in the second row, or (god forbid) the third row, have severely restricted views of the stage, and when you consider boxes on the sides or higher up, you might not even see the stage at all.

There's also the risk these will sell out before completing the booking, so you might end up with nothing.

I've tried buying tickets to another event at La Scala, and it looks like the tickets are reserved for 20 minutes after you pick them and move on to the check out screen.

11 minutes ago, Biodome said:

You can select individual seats in the boxes. If you do, however, try to pick one of the two front row seats. The seats in the second row, or (god forbid) the third row, have severely restricted views of the stage, and when you consider boxes on the sides or higher up, you might not even see the stage at all.

So you can select one of the balconies towards the front of the theater, such as these orange ones off to the left?

image.png

They seem to have the best elevated view of the stage but I suspect they'll be gone almost instantly...

11 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Depends on what you mean by "safest bet". Stalls do offer the best sound experience, but I imagine they will sell out relatively fast, starting from the front and center seats.

By "safest bet" I just mean guaranteeing a seat.

There's obviously a lot less balcony seats than stalls, so it's potentially risky trying to get one of those (you might miss out on those, then find the stalls sold out while you were trying for a balcony seat).

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So you can select one of the balconies towards the front of the theater, such as these orange ones off to the left?

Yes, you can select any individual seat in any of the balconies. I've tried it out on the Riccardo Chailly concert:

IMG_20221010_061536.jpg

By "safest bet" I just mean guaranteeing a seat.

There's obviously a lot less balcony seats than stalls, so it's potentially risky trying to get one of those (you might miss out on those, then find the stalls sold out while you were trying for a balcony seat).

Yeah, I am wondering about the same. I think stalls are the best bet. In the worst case scenario, there is always the gallery, which, I believe, won't sell out for a long time.

Another thing to note is that you should probably register an account on the website in advance. You have to fill out your personal details and contact information to be able to purchase tickets. If you do it now, it will save you some time later.

Also, it looks like each ticket requires additional information about the people who will be using it. You need the names, birthdates, phone numbers and emails for each of the tickets. So it's useful to have this information ready when the sale starts.

I wonder if they hold seats the moment you select one and click through to the purchase page, or whether if you take too long to enter your payment details, it could end up being sold and forcing you back to the seat selection page.

I wonder if they hold seats the moment you select one and click through to the purchase page, or whether if you take too long to enter your payment details, it could end up being sold and forcing you back to the seat selection page.

You have twenty minutes to enter your payment details after going to the check out screen. You have your tickets reserved during this time. There is a queuing system in place, which seems to be active already. I've tried refreshing the page, and got a message saying that I've lost my previous place in the queue. I think there might be significant traffic to that page already.

So this is strange but I'm trying to register an account on Vivaticket and it's sending an OTP to my email address. Problem is the OTP isn't arriving (and yes I've checked the junk folder). Anyone else having this same issue?

I've tried using my Hotmail and having the same issue...

9 minutes ago, Biodome said:

There is a queuing system in place, which seems to be active already. I've tried refreshing the page, and got a message saying that I've lost my previous place in the queue. I think there might be significant traffic to that page already.

Interesting... so if it's a queuing system then presumably there won't be thousands of people all trying to book the same seat at the same time?

So this is strange but I'm trying to register an account on Vivaticket and it's sending an OTP to my email address. Problem is the OTP isn't arriving (and yes I've checked the junk folder). Anyone else having this same issue?

There was an option to sign up using Facebook and Google, iirc. I picked the Facebook one, and didn't have to go through any e-mail verification. That might be an alternative way.

Interesting... so if it's a queuing system then presumably there won't be thousands of people all trying to book the same seat at the same time?

Yeah, I think people will be allowed in in batches, not everyone at the same time. You might still experience some competition for the seats, but it shouldn't be a catastrophe like the Vienna thing a few years back, which didn't have any queueing system in place.

8 minutes ago, Biodome said:

it shouldn't be a catastrophe like the Vienna thing a few years back, which didn't have any queueing system in place.

I still have nightmares about trying to book tickets for that concert.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I still have nightmares about trying to book tickets for that concert.

Oh man.  That overlay on the site meaning nobody could progress.. while having seats in the basket..

11 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Oh man.  That overlay on the site meaning nobody could progress.. while having seats in the basket..

And then all the tickets being sold out when it finally came back online... :mellow:

3 hours ago, Biodome said:

There was an option to sign up using Facebook and Google, iirc. I picked the Facebook one, and didn't have to go through any e-mail verification. That might be an alternative way.

I'm getting this error message instead!

image.png

And my payment being refused online due to some EU regulation, losing the tickets in the basket, and frantically calling the box office in despair...a couple of weeks later the show was cancelled.

24 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And then all the tickets being sold out when it finally came back online... :mellow:

I'm getting this error message instead!

image.png

The Vatican calling?

The Milanese Nightmare...hopefully not!

Hello everyone,

New member here, and hoping to get tickets to the Milano concert to see John Williams for the first time!

However, I have been trying to fill in my personal details on my Vivaticket account, but it's impossible to have the phone number confirmed: I have received no OTP on my phone. My mother has tried too, in vain.

Has anyone found a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I can't create a new account because they won't send an OTP to my email address, and trying to login using my Google account returns a 404 Page Not Found error.

Bit of a conundrum if I can't even create an account!

8 minutes ago, essel said:

However, I have been trying to fill in my personal details on my Vivaticket account, but it's impossible to have the phone number confirmed: I have received no OTP on my phone. My mother has tried too, in vain.

It seems whatever generates their OTP isn't working.

Do you need to confirm your account with a phone number before purchasing tickets?

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I can't create a new account because they won't send an OTP to my email address, and trying to login using my Google account returns a 404 Page Not Found error.

Bit of a conundrum if I can't even create an account!

It seems whatever generates their OTP isn't working.

Do you need to confirm your account with a phone number before purchasing tickets?

Hello,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, there seems to be problems with their system, although I tried different combinations to get the highly-desired text to confirm… Meanwhile, my mother got her text and could proceed with the necessary verifications, so we'll use her account to book — unless I get that OTP in the meantime…

Getting that phone number confirmation seems to be absolutely crucial to proceed with a reservation, as I tried with another (available) event, and the system didn't let me through unless I fixed the missing info (i.e. phone number to be confirmed) on my profile! This is really infuriating, as first-time users of Vivaticket like us will be experiencing those problems when tickets go live and won't get a ticket because of that…

1 minute ago, ScruffyLooking NerfHerder said:

What are the payment options at vivaticket? Creditcard/paypal/debit?

I read the following on the FAQ: "The credit cards accepted are VISA, MASTERCARD, AMEX, JCB, Maestro and DINERS."