John Williams conducts Filarmonica della Scala, Milan, Italy, 12 December 2022!

Jay

1 hour ago, Martinland said:

Yes, I know, I've been there too today; no comparison to Vienna...

Speaking of which, the Musikverein website was hacked last weekend and has been offline since (they've got a static replacement site up now, but only since yesterday or so). They're still struggling to get the original website back up and running…

4 hours ago, Martinland said:

Yes, I know, I've been there too today; no comparison to Vienna...

But I did meet one fellow forum member in front of La Scala box office by recognising him thanks to his former forum avatar from Vienna!  \o/  /me waves

Details at "Maurizio's" bar on Monday... ;)

It was me and nice to talk with you. Hopefully you are able to get a ticket!🙏🏻

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

No idea, maybe TownerFan has ideas? It's beyond absurd this is not being recorded.

I am flattered, but you guys overestimate my powers 😅

It’s indeed a shame that nothing is officially planned in terms of recordings, but always remember that these agreements are very complex to figure out and deals can go in a vacuum even at the last moment. It’s not something that can be arranged in a few days.

1 hour ago, JTGL said:

It was me and nice to talk with you. Hopefully you are able to get a ticket!  

Yes, it was nice indeed and great to meet you too out of the blue - believe it or not, I have shown your avatar to the woman in my life long ago, as it is radiating so much joy, but this late afternoon I was frantically trying to find it in the forum archives but I failed miserably and was hoping you would reply soon. \o/

See you later, my friend. o/

P.S.: By the way, we are nearly on your picture from the Vienna debut as we were seated down there next to the woman in the dark dress left of your right shoulder, if I am not mistaken... ;)

37 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

What the hell? I WANT TO SEE THE FULL INTERVIEW!! I WANT TO HAVE AN OFFICIAL RECORDING/RELEASE OF THIS HISTORIC CONCERT!

I’m being fully serious, here. This deserves to have an official release just like Vienna and Berlin.

As

much as I would love to have this concert on Blu-ray, there can be good reason why Deutsche Grammophon isn’t making a recording of it. The program of this concert is quite similar to the Berlin and Vienna concerts which are (still) available on multiple formats. And don’t forget that most people aren’t as die hard (it’s euphemism for fanatic) as us. DG might’ve thought that a concert so similar to the two previous ones wouldn’t sell (as well), because it would be a John Williams-DG overkill. And let’s be honest, it does make sense to a point. The other, more prosaic reason could be simple rights issues that couldn’t be figured out between DG and the Teatro alla Scala. Who knows…

With all that said I’m just as disappointed as anyone else on this forum that this concert isn’t going to be recorded, because this will undoubtedly be a very special event both for John Williams and his fans around the world, that deserves to be preserved for future generations of Film Music fans to enjoy. C’est la vie. 

If I remember correctly, no one really knew whether Vienna II would be recorded until the moment when we observed mics with red lights and back-stage equipment and activities.

But even then, someone stated that the mics were just for amplifying the celeste and harp(s).

And the fact that the golden vinyls of the Berlin Concert are not sold out and up for winter sale could indicate that the gold rush is over.

For the time being, I am grateful that JW made it to Vienna, Berlin, and Milan.

Still hoping for more releases though...

On 08/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, apples said:

Guys, sadly for me, my friend cannot attend the show… This means I have a spare ticket for Monday’s special evening.

Seat: I ORDINE PALCHI DX n. 6 Posto 1

You’ll be sitting next to yours truly 😉.

The ticket (PDF) has the name of my friend on it, however, as I gather from the comments here that doesn’t matter 🙂.

Anyone interested? Or know someone who might be interested? 🎟️  Please give me a shout!

100% will take this. I'm flying to Milan tomorrow and my friend is joining me but he missed out! Have sent a message in case the others fall through.

Or if anyone else has 1 ticket let me know!

Thanks!

11 hours ago, JTW said:

As

much as I would love to have this concert on Blu-ray, there can be good reason why Deutsche Grammophon isn’t making a recording of it. The program of this concert is quite similar to the Berlin and Vienna concerts which are (still) available on multiple formats. And don’t forget that most people aren’t as die hard (it’s euphemism for fanatic) as us. DG might’ve thought that a concert so similar to the two previous ones wouldn’t sell (as well), because it would be a John Williams-DG overkill. And let’s be honest, it does make sense to a point. The other, more prosaic reason could be simple rights issues that couldn’t be figured out between DG and the Teatro alla Scala. Who knows…

With all that said I’m just as disappointed as anyone else on this forum that this concert isn’t going to be recorded, because this will undoubtedly be a very special event both for John Williams and his fans around the world, that deserves to be preserved for future generations of Film Music fans to enjoy. C’est la vie. 

I would agree with you had we not been talking about the label that funded 3 Karajan Beethoven cycles and 3 half Tchaikovsky cycles while we only needed one.

1 hour ago, GlastoEls said:

Home Alone 2 (expanded!) playing

I'd love for Home Alone to make an appearance in the concert. It would be so appropriate for the Christmas setting. Alas, it doesn't look likely that the wish is going to be fulfilled.

In any case, have a pleasant flight, and I'll see you in Milan!

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I would agree with you had we not been talking about the label that funded 3 Karajan Beethoven cycles and 3 half Tchaikovsky cycles while we only needed one.

You’re talking about Beethoven and Tchaikovsky and Classical Music that have been around for centuries. And who gets to decide how many of those cycles are needed…?

I would LOVE to have the Milan concert recorded and released on every format, but I know this is contemporary Film Music that DG has released twice already with similar programs and even John Williams has his limits, in terms of how many of his concerts with somewhat similar programs people will purchase. Again, I’m among those who would definitely purchase it both on Blu-ray and on CD. But I’m in the minority of DG’s general audience consisting mainly of classical music listeners.

26 minutes ago, Biodome said:

I'd love for Home Alone to make an appearance in the concert. It would be so appropriate for the Christmas setting. Alas, it doesn't look likely that the wish is going to be fulfilled.

In any case, have a pleasant flight, and I'll see you in Milan!

I couldn’t agree more on Home Alone, Biodome, and see you soon! 

46 minutes ago, Martinland said:

Just spotted two IMMENSELY large RAI broadcasting trucks near La Scala -(that were *not* there yesterday) just so that you know... ;)

Oh, please, God. I don't really see wgy not, though, how much preparation in advance would there have to be though? It's not that complex to record.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But don't you say you prefer Karajan's 70s cycle? I still haven't heard that, but I love his 60s version, so that's probably already two we "need". The third one, like so many other remakes, was of course made because of the then brand new digital recording technology.

Oh, I absolutely prefer the second cycle. Apart from the 9th, the third one is a complete waste of recording time. I just gave that example because I thought it would be a bit rich of DG to not release something just because it was repetitive. I mean, we can safely say that JW sells, right?

Any recommendations on a good wine bar near Milano Centrale for a few evening drinks?

Just got to my hotel, still getting used to the early sunsets! :D

Also, the lady at reception told me you can get a tourist metro card for 12€ which lasts 3 days and you can ride anywhere on the metro. Might be handy for anyone else who is staying closer to Centrale but doesn't want to walk everywhere (especially to Teatro!) 

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, I absolutely prefer the second cycle. Apart from the 9th, the third one is a complete waste of recording time. I just gave that example because I thought it would be a bit rich of DG to not release something just because it was repetitive.

It's still successive decades (with advances in technology) vs successive years.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I mean, we can safely say that JW sells, right?

Can we? I don't know how many more copies three different JW concert releases would sell in total than one single release.

22 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Did he use the "a person you can't say no to" line about Spielberg in that? 

41 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I'll soon be hopping on the night train down south from Germany: the old-fashioned, romantic (and climate-friendly) way.

harry potter goodbye GIF

I wonder how many cues JW has written for scenes involving trains. A lot, I think! 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yep. Same words he explained his cooperation with Mutter. "One thing he's not is a man you can say 'no' to".  

That means The Fabelmans may not be his last Spielberg film! :)

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think I can hear "Spielberg" in there. Would be nice if they released a version without the Italian translation over the top! 

...and I, on the other hand, just met (!) a friendly, white-haired member of the Filarmonica string section [EDIT: just watched the RAI news clip: he plays third stand of the first violins] by pure luck (!!) while we were waiting for the (belated!) old tram line Numero Uno near La Scala, as he was entering an eatery after today's rehearsal (I "recognised" him by his violin case) ... had a nice little chat with him (!!!) and hope to see him again tomorrow.

Then, after riding that old tram, all hell break loose on the streets because of ... Morocco winning a game or something. /o\

Plus the Christmas vibes on top of all that; it all feels pretty ... unreal.