John Williams conducts Filarmonica della Scala, Milan, Italy, 12 December 2022!

Jay

1 hour ago, ciarlese said:

I agree the brass section weren't great in raiders' march, but I found the first violin in Schindler's list possibly one of the best and most moving versions I ever heard.

I agree with you...

From critic point of view I have to agree on the Brass section for being weak but I was expecting that. This orchestra is not used to play cinematic soundtracks but only opera. Strings were superb and I think I've heard one of the best versions of Shindler's List. Soloist was incredible.

The whole experience was overhelming. Williams as always full of energy and never seen such a lively crowd (yes we are italians🤣). Lot of emotions.

I wasn't there, but I'm curious to hear about the orchestra being "not good." They aren't Berlin or Vienna, no, but AFAIK the La Scala orchestra is pretty well regarded. Probably the best in Italy, if I'm not mistaken—the only other possible contender I can think of would be the Santa Cecilia orchestra in Rome.

They record quite a bit for Decca with their music director Riccardo Chailly, and some of those albums have been really great: like the "Viva Verdi" album and "Overtures, Preludes & Intermezzi." Granted, those are opera excerpts. I know Williams' music is much more technically demanding than your average opera, but I still wouldn't expect "not good" from an orchestra of this level.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

He mixed up Fawkes with Buckbeak, Empire with Jedi, the ET moon with the ET sunset, and seemed to take longer to tell the usual stories than their best more succinct versions

I think those little mistakes are understandable. He may not have seen those films since their release, or perhaps before their release. Wait... he saw ET when conduced to picture at a live performance, but still, that was a while ago. 20 years?

2 hours ago, pete said:

I think those little mistakes are understandable. He may not have seen those films since their release, or perhaps before their release. Wait... he saw ET when conduced to picture at a live performance, but still, that was a while ago. 20 years?

Having said that, Fawkes is the name of the piece^. Anyway, he looks in great health! Amazing. How many 90 year olds travel overseas? - to work?!

6 minutes ago, pete said:

Having said that, Fawkes is the name of the piece^

In Vienna (2) he said Fawkes is the bird that Harry flies on.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

He mixed up Fawkes with Buckbeak, Empire with Jedi, the ET moon with the ET sunset

Talking about E.T., can anybody explain why in concerts we keep missing the big flying theme' s rendition when all the bikes finally take off to escape the police?

There is a deep crescendo, it's the highlight of the movie, but for some reason it's taken out of concerts: why?

55 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

My most pressing question: was there a ritardando in HWW?

Not as molto as in Berlin but still more than in Vienna early this year. Tempi were generally quite slow. Fawkes, Leia and Superman Love Theme were almost analytical.

1 minute ago, BB-8 said:

Not as molto as in Berlin but still more than in Vienna early this year. Tempi were generally quite slow. Fawkes, Leia and Superman Love Theme were almost analytical.

Agreed as discussed in the meet-up. 

Ah yes, that was my other big observation, that the tempos were often on the slow side. I especially noticed it for Harry's Wondrous World 

10 hours ago, Jossa said:

Unfortunately I did not manage to grab one of the mini posters at the end. So if someone has one extra, please let me know. I could pick it up tomorrow at Scala 🤗

What mini posters were these? 

I saw plenty of spare programs at the end but no posters? 

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah yes, that was my other big observation, that the tempos were often on the slow side. I especially noticed it for Harry's Wondrous World 

Williams tried his best to PUSH the orchestra forward...

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

The poster printed to advertise the concert in classical "La Scala" style

Oh interesting... I didn't notice at all. Maybe there were none left by the time I left the theater?

Seems pointless going to La Scala today asking for spares, they're likely closed.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nobody in our entire gathering of JW Fans managed to get one, but random people we saw all did, with some people even holding multiple copies

Ah, so they must have run out then. That's a shame if people took multiple posters and there weren't enough for everyone. 

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

A smaller version of the one that was outside at Teatro. Some people grabbed multiple, so I asked the manager but she told me that they were all out...

The program booklet I got, thank God 🙌🏻

4 hours ago, Holko said:

In Vienna (2) he said Fawkes is the bird that Harry flies on.

Fawkes does fly Harry out of the Chamber of Secrets at the end of the second film. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, Amer said:

Ha he got confused with Buckbeak's Flight- Now, that's a piece of music that would have made a great concert piece.

Perhaps not. Doesn't Harry get carried by Fawkes out of the chamber of secrets at the end? OK, he is hanging on his tail or so, but still.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

How I wish he'd program something from Azkaban once in a while. I'm starting to wonder if he thinks Fawkes the Phoenix is from Azkaban and forgets the other concert suites he wrote! 

A Window to the Past or Buckbeak’s Flight would be great in concert. 

My one issue with film music co certs as these is that they usually always play the same pieces without anything that isn’t the most famous. The Flying Car would bring the house down on sure but it will Probably never be performed because Hedwig and Wondrous World are always in the programme. Fawkes is a nice addition though so never say never.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

At the concert last night Williams specifically said that Fawkes was a large bird that Harry flies over the lake :(

He’s technically right that Harry “flew” him but it was up from the chamber of secrets and not over the lake haha

14 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:

But he also said this was a chance to hear the music without having to watch the film 😂 I have a feeling our Johnny doesn’t care one bit which bird is which 😄

It seems he doesn't even care (know) that Hedwig is a Snowy Owl.

What a cultural loss of biodiversity!

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

So, this isn't sour grapes at all, but is it fair to say I haven't really missed anything, at least performance-wise? If people on this board, who were more positive about Vienna 1 than me, start commenting on the bad brass section, I'm getting concerned. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Nobody in our entire gathering of JW Fans managed to get one, but random people we saw all did, with some people even holding multiple copies

I was really gutted there wasn’t any of those paper mini posters left. Really wanted one. The theatre should have just printed hundreds really it wouldn’t have cost them that much.