John Williams conducts Filarmonica della Scala, Milan, Italy, 12 December 2022!

Jay

2 hours ago, fabio autore said:

indeed... but the high-res file could as well be that one Pawel P. posted. it's mostly text, header and frame apart... so it's not supposed to be "heavy" in bytes

Fabio, I got it from here:

https://assets-global.website-files.com/60ae054b30328f0c5ad249fd/638e2dd3a625838dea439783_AOFS_locandina_12 dicembre 2022_WEB.pdf

The link is on this page:

https://en.filarmonica.it/eventi/concerti-straordinari-williams-19-giugno-2022-teatro-alla-scala

So this is the official PDF of the Filarmonica della Scala posted by them on their site.

Bravo, Maurizio! @TownerFan

Just out of historical interest and for reference: was the film music of Nino Rota (recoded by Filarmonica della Scala and Riccardo Muti) recorded in the opera house or at a different location?

I want to thank all those who have shared their experiences and videos of the concert. Although I could not attend, I feel a bit as if I was there as well. I truly hope that someone recorded the Schindler's List theme, since by all accounts (here and elsewhere) it was an incredibly moving performance. Also, I'm very pleased to notice that all the reviews that I've seen on Italian newspapers, so far, are overwhelmingly positive. It's impressive that John, at his age, has managed to complete the tour of the European theaters which best epitomize the remote roots of his art.    

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

I needed a couple of days to collect thoughts, I hope it's worth your reading time.

You're always worth the reading time, Maurizio!

Wish we'd had more of a chance to talk on Monday than the quick goodbye at the end, but thanks again for everything you do! 

2 hours ago, Score said:

I want to thank all those who have shared their experiences and videos of the concert. Although I could not attend, I feel a bit as if I was there as well. I truly hope that someone recorded the Schindler's List theme, since by all accounts (here and elsewhere) it was an incredibly moving performance. Also, I'm very pleased to notice that all the reviews that I've seen on Italian newspapers, so far, are overwhelmingly positive. It's impressive that John, at his age, has managed to complete the tour of the European theaters which best epitomize the remote roots of his art. 

I have a clip from the Rehearsal of the Schindler's List theme. Not the greatest quality but it can at least give you an idea.

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

My two cents:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/12/14/john-williams-in-milan-2022/

I needed a couple of days to collect thoughts, I hope it's worth your reading time.

Sei un grande Mauri. You've spoken on behalf of everyone who was present in that magical evening. The enormity and the significance of Maestro's presence in La Scala is still beyond belief. Let us at least hope for a decent audio recording of the event. Unfortunately, as an avid concert goer I confirm that practically all of the video equipment belonged to the Rai network and mainly used for news and short reportage. As far as I remember, the theatre makes audio recordings of almost all concerts and operas. It is entirely up to the theatre, rights and recording company to release them to public. And no matter how much I enjoyed and loved this truly magical event, in my most humble opinion I think the performance wasn't quite recording-grade. This has nothing to do with the brass section or other issues which have been raised by some. I still hope an audio recording of some form will be released in the future.

6 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Bravo, Maurizio! @TownerFan

Just out of historical interest and for reference: was the film music of Nino Rota (recoded by Filarmonica della Scala and Riccardo Muti) recorded in the opera house or at a different location?

Back cover says:

Recording: Teatro Abanella, Milan, Italy, June 2-5, 1997

On 14/12/2022 at 1:16 AM, Biodome said:

My brother managed to pick up two of them. He said that at the end of the concert, the staff placed a bunch of them on the table where the programmes were, and people started grabbing them really quickly in what could be described as a frenzy. A random person even tried to take the two posters out of my brother's hands. It was crazy. He even had to hide them!

Anyway, I gave one of the posters to @Martinland during the meetup. He has a massive John Williams archive, so the poster will feel at home there. It would be nice to digitize it in high resolution, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Maybe it would be easier to just ask La Scala for a .pdf. They should have one.

ps: one day @Martinland should scan his archive and post it here, shouldn't he?

1 hour ago, ciarlese said:

This is a nice surprise indeed: less than a minute video from regional RAI news channel, it really seems there were quite some cameras recording the concert! I wonder where they were hiding 😳

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/lombardia/video/2022/12/watchfolder-tgr-lombardia-web-clip-john-williams-alla-scalamxf-908d79fb-2f33-4be5-89b4-5ae075b5421c.html

seems to be only simple eng-crew recordings for the local/regional news on rai3 ... with the audio coming from the built-in microphones of the cameras. ... indeed the mic-setup for the stage was an easy one, ok for a radiostream but not for an cd recording.

On 13/12/2022 at 2:20 AM, Tydirium said:

I wasn't there, but I'm curious to hear about the orchestra being "not good." They aren't Berlin or Vienna, no, but AFAIK the La Scala orchestra is pretty well regarded. Probably the best in Italy, if I'm not mistaken—the only other possible contender I can think of would be the Santa Cecilia orchestra in Rome.

They record quite a bit for Decca with their music director Riccardo Chailly, and some of those albums have been really great: like the "Viva Verdi" album and "Overtures, Preludes & Intermezzi." Granted, those are opera excerpts. I know Williams' music is much more technically demanding than your average opera, but I still wouldn't expect "not good" from an orchestra of this level.

There is also the "Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale della RAI" (located in Turin) and maybe it's "the number one orchestra" in Italy. 

I've updated my article with all the official video shot by TV network

https://www.kristiansensini.com/2022/12/13/john-williams-alla-scala-di-milano/

Spanish
https://www.mundobso.com/agoras/williams-en-la-scala

English
https://www.kristiansensini.com/2022/12/14/john-williams-la-scala-di-milano/

13 hours ago, Amer said:

I wonder if the full press conference like interview is available unedited somewhere…?

Existing...Yes (concert, plus dress rehearsal, plus private rehearsals, plus press conference)

Available...I'm sorry no... :(

One thing COULD be possible, pledge FIlarmonica la Scala to edit a documentary with all this video documents as they recently did for other events in the history of filarmonica

https://www.raiplay.it/programmi/filarmonicadellascalatema

By the way...

https://fb.watch/hr1v2TEI0D/

So this is the company behind the video production...

Andrea Angeli Official Website | Eventi digitali, live streaming e produzione video per privati ed aziende (angeliandrea.it)

LIVE STREAMING HD (up to 4 Cameras + Lower Thirds + 4XLR+8Line Audio Input)

Installazione in qualsiasi location, trasmissione su Facebook Live e Youtube Live con videocamera e lenti professionali, grafica personalizzata, missaggio di più fonti audio (6 line/2mic+4line), gestione in tempo reale di contenuti forniti da te (slides, immagini, video), registrazione integrale del tuo evento in formato broadcast.

tESTATA.png

Suspicious Thinking GIF by Originals

4 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:
2 hours ago, Sandor said:

It certainly would have....

test2 16.40.57.jpg

I don’t like this at all. Not one bit. It’s awful. 

(Because you’ve just chopped me out on the bottom left 😂)

Oops. Sorry. I'll redo it tomorrow. ;) 

9 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

This ends any debate and ultimately proves that professional sound AND video recordings of this concert do exist.

It amazes me how discrete the cameras were as I looked everywhere and could only locate the one at the center opposite the podium.

Now it's all about WHEN it will be released...

Only this (news?) one was openly visible!

245166BF-0A40-4605-B42E-A5172AAD1C45.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's a single camera, one long take, static angle except for jiggles at the end.

No it's not 

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/lombardia/video/2022/12/watchfolder-tgr-lombardia-web-clip-john-williams-alla-scalamxf-908d79fb-2f33-4be5-89b4-5ae075b5421c.html

33 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

That's from italian TV. The Schindler's List video is by the Filarmonica della Scala...

20 minutes ago, MisterXDTV said:

But RAI is an official partner of the theater since forever. It's the national public broadcaster

The description from the youtube video states the video is by Andrea Angeli.

8 hours ago, Nemesis said:

That's from italian TV. The Schindler's List video is by the Filarmonica della Scala...

Then what?

I am just trying to show that a professional video recording from multiple cameras exist. 

6 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The description from the youtube video states the video is by Andrea Angeli. Di

Recordings are made by people... 

Even the concert was played by people.