John Williams conducts Filarmonica della Scala, Milan, Italy, 12 December 2022!

Jay

Concerto per Milano has typically been an outdoor event but this one seems to be in Teatro alla Scala. Annual event has been having even 50 000 person audiences so I wouldn't be surprised if the location isn't correct (hall has only 2000 person capacity). 

This guy insists on doing even more as he gets older! What an inspiration. I'll do my best to be there - my only wish would be that there's some of his concert works included in the programme, but the fact that this is even happening is already amazing.

He’s really ticking off those bucket-list conducting venues/orchestras, isn’t he?

LSO? Did it years ago, mate.

Vienna Phil? Check.

Berlin Phil? Check.

What’s next on the list? La Scala? Don’t mind if I do: check.

Wow, that came out of nowhere!

Tempting, of course, but it all comes down to money and available time.

He is indeed set to do Europe in the twilight of his years, as Mutter alluded to.

With both The Fabelmans and Indiana Jones 5 opening in 2022, he can't be doing THAT many more concerts.... can he?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder if the main score (for Indiana Jones 5) will be done recording before he leaves, and then maybe a final pickup day will happen after the concert? 

Or if an announcement that IJ5 is being delayed is forthcoming?

The former is far more likely than the latter.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I was fully expecting him to do nothing but write and record Indiana Jones 5 in between Carnegie Hall (April 21) and that film's opening (July 29). A trip to Italy in June is shocking to me! I wonder if the main score will be done recording before he leaves, and then maybe a final pickup day will happen after the concert? 

Or if an announcement that IJ5 is being delayed is forthcoming?

Worst case, they track the final reel with Escape from Naboo on repeat.  

OMG that room looks stunning... how old is that building? 

JW certainly seems to be ticking off some bucket list items! Surprised he didn't do this during the quiet years in the late 2000s!

Fairplay to a 90 year old having the motivation/energy to keep on performing and travelling. An inspiration to us all.

This also makes me so gutted that he cancelled the London gig in 2018. I’ve since moved to South America, so that was probably my only chance of ever seeing him. 

Crossing every finger and toe that he might come to Santiago 😅

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

JW certainly seems to be ticking off some bucket list items! Surprised he didn't do this during the quiet years in the late 2000s!

I think perhaps a lot of doors were closed to him even back then.  The past decade has seen more recognition of JWs greatness.  

That said, have VPO ever performed Hans Rott's Symphony No. 1 (a symphony which was not accepted by the Vienese establishment, including Johannes Brahms)?

I don't think so.

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

At least as old as JW!

3 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

That said, have VPO ever performed Hans Rott's Symphony No. 1 (a symphony which was not accepted by the Vienese establishment, including Johannes Brahms)?

I don't think so.

It's just not a very fun symphony.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

At least as old as JW!

It's just not a very fun symphony.

Maybe there is too much making fun of Brahms in the last movement...

It's like showing Brahms the middle finger.

great news!

I've already been to La Scala on several occasions. It's certainly more suited to opera than to symphonic music, but it doesn't matter, it will certainly be another great experience! JW is on fire despite age, a great example of passion and dedication to the music.