John Williams conducts Filarmonica della Scala, Milan, Italy, 12 December 2022!

Jay

14 hours ago, BB-8 said:

That said, have VPO ever performed Hans Rott's Symphony No. 1 (a symphony which was not accepted by the Vienese establishment, including Johannes Brahms)?

I don't think so.

I think few orchestras have performed it at all. It's not that long since it has been resurrected in the first place. The RSO Vienna at least has been performing some Rott stuff. Give me a performance of his sympony in Vienna, and I'll certainly be there. I love that work.

Yeah, it's tempting also from a tourist perspective. I've only ever been to Rome in Italy. Always wanted to see more cities, like Milan, Florence and Venice. And spectacular regions like Tuscany. But again, it's a matter of money (which I do not possess); Milan is more expensive to get to than Berlin.

My wife had never been to Vienna and has never been to Berlin. We were vacationing in the French Alps a few years back and took a daytrip to Italy. We had to choose between driving to Milan or Turin. We chose Turin, joking we'd go to Milan "some other time".

Well, there ya go. 

Also, I'd never been to London before 2018. :lol:

A lot of our international travel has been based around Williams' concerts as well lol

I do wish we were going to this Berlin show especially since Germany is a country neither of us have been to yet, but the awkward group ticketing when they first went on sale combined with being unsure about covid travel at the time led us to skip it.  We won't miss Milan, though!

Is @Ricard going to this concert?  Would be great to finally meet in person!

Please do! A dream journey for me would be attending the JW concert, exploring Milano for a day or two, then taking a train to Venice, exploring that, then taking a train to Toscana, exploring that (and surroundings) and then fly back from the Pisa/Toscana airport. I just need to win the lottery first. :D

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Please do! A dream journey for me would be attending the JW concert, exploring Milano for a day or two, then taking a train to Venice, exploring that, then taking a train to Toscana, exploring that (and surroundings) and then fly back from the Pisa/Toscana airport. I just need to win the lottery first. :D

One word: onlyfans.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean, you have an 8 months heads up here. How can you possibly not make enough money to do all that between now and then 

Because I don't have steady income.

On 11/10/2021 at 6:08 AM, TownerFan said:

I'm old enough to remember the European classical institutions treating John Williams and film music in general as something too commercial and unworthy of their places. The seismic shift started to happen several years ago and I think the unquestionable success of the Vienna concerts certainly helped a lot of these classical establishment to stand up and take notice. Certainly Williams' age and reputation also helped, but I don't think this can be explained only because Williams is now an old venerable maestro. There is at least now an entire generation of people playing and working in these orchestras who grew up with his music and consider it absolutely valuable and worthy of the great classical repertoire, not just because they're Star Wars nerds, but because they listened to it and recognized it purely for what it is, i.e. great music.

Never thought of it that way; well said.

On 06/10/2021 at 10:10 PM, Jay said:

Spending your income to see John Williams live is worth it.  Every time.

Oh I agree. I'm lucky enough to have seen JW in concert 7 times since 2005, and with the exception of yesterday's Berlin concert, they have all involved a transatlantic trip from Ireland to the US, which ain't cheap. Nothing like that post JW concert buzz!

All but one of my US trips have been to see JW so it was lovely to be able to see him in Europe yesterday.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:32 PM, Pawel P. said:

When was the last time Williams conducted a choir at a concert? It would be wonderful if, in a place like the Teatro alla Scala, the temple of the world's opera, he would use it in several pieces. Imagine hearing Duel of the Fates, Hym to the Fallen or Call of the Champions there...

since the concert is at "La Scala" in Italy maybe it will be fantastic if he could do an experiment with the choir of the "Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia". It would be extremely interesting to hear the result for example in Battle of the Heroes...

19 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Do we know, when tickets are available?

On 07/10/2021 at 7:53 AM, BB-8 said:

Tickets go on sale on April 19th at 14:00.

:drool:

6 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

A performance of Duel of the Fates would make of this evening something unique in an instant and perhaps a little Battle of the Heroes as an Encore...

exactly! also as I wrote in order to make the evening special and even slightly different from what has already been done on other European dates, the presence of the choir would be fantastic. And precisely being in Italy, and since the event will be held in an opera theater, it would be excellent the presence of the choir of the National Academy of Santa Cecilia one of the oldest musical institutions in the world (founded 1585), which in addition to numerous international awards has collaborated among others also with Ennio Morricone.

It's just my opinion, of course but it would be nice and interesting to ear the result. For me it would turn out something spectacular!

• 1 month later...

I think it's worth pointing out in this thread that yesterday, The Chicago Symphony announced a John Williams concert scheduled for June 9th has been canceled "due to a scheduling change in a prior film commitment"

Since this Milan concert is only 10 days after that was supposed to take place, it's possible this scheduling conflict will affect this concert as well.

So, it's probably prudent to hold off on booking any travel at this point until we see if there is any news soon.

I remain hopeful for the best, but braced for the worst.

From a tourist perspective, it would be perfect with Milan. As I said earlier, I've only been to Rome in Italy, and that was some 10 years ago. Berlin and London, I've been to many, many times. But yeah, I'm not really fussed about it either, should it be cancelled. I've seen him live three times now, and that is two more than I once dreamed of. I've also come to terms with the fact that I will never be able to meet him.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, 

Longtime lurker here. I was lucky enough to see JW for the first time when he played in my home city of Indianapolis in 2018. I'm now living in southwestern Germany, but wasn't able to make it to Berlin for the concert earlier this year. My partner and I have decided to make the trip to Milan for this concert and I want to be sure I've done everything I can to get great tickets. 

I wanted to see if any of the experts here have tips they can pass along. I checked the ticketing website, but I didn't see mention of any subscriptions or clubs I needed to sign up for in order to get tickets. Can anyone confirm this is the case. The last thing I want is to be surprised when the time comes to buy tickets. If anyone here can provide other assistance or strategies for getting tickets, I'd be very grateful. See you all in Milan! 

The Milan concert isn't in danger because of covid (he's doing THREE concerts in April after all), but because of the film score scheduling conflict that canceled a concert that was 9 days before this one. 

It's possible he'll be done scoring the film in time to still fly to Milan, or it's possible both June concerts are affected, and Milan's cancelation or rescheduing just hasn't been announced yet. That's what we're waiting for. 

True, but for many of us, covid is still a threat, and there's no saying where we'll be in April. That may be an extra danger on top of the scheduling conflict.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The Milan concert isn't in danger because of covid (he's doing THREE concerts in April after all), but because of the film score scheduling conflict that canceled a concert that was 9 days before this one. 

Not internationally though. As it looks, we're on the brink of a big Omicron wave in Europe, so fingers crossed everything is more or less under control in time for the scheduled ticket sales.