"Violin Concerto No. 2 and Selected Film Themes" Williams / Mutter album & Blu Ray

Jay

20 minutes ago, Jay said:
  • Violin Concerto #2 (2021)
  • Devil's Dance (2020)
  • Across The Stairs (2021 update of 2019 arrangement)
  • Marion's theme (2021 update of 2008 arrangement)
  • Love Theme from The Long Goodbye (2021)
  • Han Solo and the Princess (2021 update of 2018 arrangement)

What would be a rough runtime for this so far?

Thank you for the recap Jay!

I hope Williams remembers Irina's Theme. We never got a proper recording of his 2008 concert arrangement, but maybe an "update" like he did for Marion's Theme and Han Solo & the Princess ?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

All that AND the new Yo Yo Ma album AND the Hollywood Bowl Fanfare AND the Vienna Promenade!!!

No to mention more performances and hopefully a recording of Prelude for Piano and Orchestra

I forgot to mention those, but you are right!!! Thanks!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Violin Concerto #2 was then performed at Symphony Hall on Thursday September 30th and Saturday October 2nd; ....As an encore, a brand new Williams/Mutter arrangement premiered!

1. Marion's Theme (a brand new update to the 2008 arrangement

Did I miss anything?

Just that The Long Goodbye was played as an encore on Thursday, Sept. 30. Marion's Theme on Saturday.

Hoping for a few more.  Something from AI, and while he's mining his early 70s output, The Paperchase has a nice theme. Damn it, he should just arrange everything!

6 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Wasn't the Devils Dance performed though at Tanglewood when they first premiered everything?

Yes, it was. It's mentioned here. I remember Anne-Sophie didn't have enough time to get it ready for the CD recording, but she obviously kept working on it.

I havent heard the recent concert revisions as yet.

But can anyone confirm if these 2 pieces are basically the Anna-Sophie Mutter perfromance arrangments and not the orchestra only versions ?: 

• Han Solo and the Princess (2021 update of 2018 arrangement) *

I don't think Devil's Dance will be included, since it was on the Vienna album. However, I hope that there will be few more titles we haven't heard about yet.

6 hours ago, pete said:

Yes, it was. It's mentioned here. I remember Anne-Sophie didn't have enough time to get it ready for the CD recording, but she obviously kept working on it.

She performed it in Munich at her Williams open air concert as well.

6 hours ago, Amer said:

But can anyone confirm if these 2 pieces are basically the Anna-Sophie Mutter perfromance arrangments and not the orchestra only versions ?: 

Yes, Anna-Sophie mentioned them on facebook. They're arrangements for her, and she performed them last week. 

12 hours ago, pete said:

Just that The Long Goodbye was played as an encore on Thursday, Sept. 30. Marion's Theme on Saturday.

Thanks for that - updated!

6 hours ago, Amer said:

I havent heard the recent concert revisions as yet.

I don't understand your question?  Doesn't the post make it clear that Williams conducted Sophie playing these, and that is therefore the entire reason I am bringing them up as being potentially included on the new album?  Or am I completely not understanding what you're asking?

6 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

I don't think Devil's Dance will be included, since it was on the Vienna album. However, I hope that there will be few more titles we haven't heard about yet.

I would like it if it is included to have a "studio" recording instead of only a live one, but I think you're probably right that it might be included because it was already on that album. But we'll see!

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

She performed it in Munich at her Williams open air concert as well.

Oh, nice!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't understand your question?  Doesn't the post make it clear that Williams conducted Sophie playing these, and that is therefore the entire reason I am bringing them up as being potentially included on the new album?  Or am I completely not understanding what you're asking?

I think I wrote it in english.It was a simple question. Anyway, Iam going to listen to the concert now. Thanks for reading.

Sorry, I just don't understand.  Your simple question was if Mutter performed the Mutter arrangements this thread is about?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm trying to make sure the main post is informative enough that nobody else gets confused, that's why I asked.  I'm trying to be helpful!

Yea, I don't really expect the slightly updated Across The Stars to be on the album either.  We're so lucky WGBH aired the concert they played it at!

I do wonder if they'll record his first violin concerto with Mutter to open the album, put the new arrangements (TLG, Marion, Solo & Princess) in the middle, and end the album with Concerto #2...

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, I don't really expect the slightly updated Across The Stars to be on the album either.  We're so lucky WGBH aired the concert they played it at!

I do wonder if they'll record his first violin concerto with Mutter to open the album, put the new arrangements (TLG, Marion, Solo & Princess) in the middle, and end the album with Concerto #2...

I can't imagine they would include the first concerto.  That would require a lot of preparation for both the soloist and the orchestra, and there's been no hint of that (unless I missed it somewhere?)  I'm assuming they are using the live recordings from this past week of the Concerto #2 and the encores, (and possibly the Tanglewood performances, at least of Across the Stars), and that's the album.  It's all about the close connection Williams and Mutter have these days, and the first concerto has nothing to do with her.

• 1 month later...

I would bet pretty unlikely.  I'm guessing sales for the best-selling artist on a classical label in 2020/21 is a fraction of what the best-selling artist would have sold pre-2000.

It seems more feasible that he could be DG's most streamed artist ever though!  Earning thousandths of cents per play!

If you add up all the recordings Karajan has made for DG, most of which have been sold over and over again in different editions (and at times when far more people were buying albums, and classical ones at that), I can't imagine Williams being even remotely close.

Yeah, that seems right, though if Berlin sells like Vienna, that is a heck of a lot.  My guess is that the violin concerto will sell far less.  I have never checked the numbers for the Mutter Across the Stars.  Did it sell well?  

I am not sure if it is due to decisions by Williams, Sony, or both, but I have found their collaboration to be underwhelming.  It started out nicely enough with the Star Wars and Spielberg albums, but then became so sporatic.  Maybe I was just spoiled with Philips in the 80s.

I think that's more down to the shrinking of the music industry overall, especially non-pop sales.  Just look at how few albums Lockhart has released with the Pops over his tenure.  The business isn't there like it was in the heyday.

Good on DG marketing for making these releases feel like events, that's really the only way to make any kind of impact.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I wonder if there was an official separation from Sony Classical or if this is just for the European concerts and Mutter albums (since Mutter was already a DG artist).

Didn't Williams was with the NYP and Yo-Yo Ma in early October recording? I'm betting on a Sony release, having Ma involved.

6 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Didn't Williams was with the NYP and Yo-Yo Ma in early October recording? I'm betting on a Sony release, having Ma involved.

Yes.  I am guessing that will be a Sony release, unless things have changed.  I wonder if they will aim for a  birthday-framed release as well in Feb.

Worth mentioning that Ma recently did an album for DG, with Mutter. So he's no stranger to DG. Does anyone know if Williams has some sort of label contract with DG these days, or do they just so happen to be releasing a lot of his stuff these past few years?

Remember, it didn't even start with JW himself conducting; the first big one in this string of DG recordings was actually LA Phil/Dudamel in 2019. I wonder if DG was already signed on to do "Across the Stars" before that Dudamel recording took place? Or did the Dudamel one sell well, and then they jumped at the opportunity to get Williams himself for an album...?

The violin concerto no. 1 and other violin compositions were already released by DG years ago on an album called "Treesong" with Gil Shaham.

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/williams-violin-concerto-shaham-2199

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I wonder if there was an official separation from Sony Classical or if this is just for the European concerts and Mutter albums (since Mutter was already a DG artist).

I suspect Williams's contract with Sony ended after Spielberg/Williams v.3.  It was shortly thereafter that Sony put out the 20-disc Conductor's Box; why do that if he might still theoretically record more albums?  In the video interview for that album, JW also made a comment about "completing the Sony collection."  At the time I thought that phrasing referred to the Spielberg collaboration albums, but now I'm thinking he was talking about his larger collection of Sony albums.  Maybe his contract was for 20; that's a nice round number.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

The violin concerto no. 1 and other violin compositions were already released by DG years ago on an album called "Treesong" with Gil Shaham.

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/williams-violin-concerto-shaham-2199

The credits page of the liner notes for that album specifically says "John Williams appears courtesy of Sony Classical."

The new albums don't have that disclaimer.

In this case, perhaps Yo-Yo Ma will appear on DG, courtesy of Sony Classical? Or I suppose JW could appear on Sony Classical, courtesy of DG (if he's got some deal with them).

• 2 months later...

It's funny, I feel like I already own this, due to the audio rip from the television broadcast and the fancy, custom artwork that someone made for it. So I had actually forgotten this didn't have a commercial release. Will be good to replace the temporary solution with a proper one.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's funny, I feel like I already own this, due to the audio rip from the television broadcast and the fancy, custom artwork that someone made for it. So I had actually forgotten this didn't have a commercial release. Will be good to replace the temporary solution with a proper one.

According to the text the recording is not from the Tanglewood premiere.