"Violin Concerto No. 2 and Selected Film Themes" Williams / Mutter album & Blu Ray

Jay

Just noticed on the JPC.DE site that Shawn Murphy is listed as the producer

Anne Sophie Mutter violin

Boston Symphony Orchestra Orchestra

John Williams conductor/bandleader

Bernhard Guettler Producer (Music)

Shawn Murphy Producer (Music)

Wait, so there's a version of Devil's Dance that's newer than the one in Vienna?  And there are three versions of Across the Stars?  Wasn't there an "original" one that Mutter performed somewhere in Europe like a year before the album came out?

2 hours ago, igger6 said:

Wait, so there's a version of Devil's Dance that's newer than the one in Vienna?

No, no one ever said it was different than the Vienna one.  It was simply speculated that it could be on this album, since it wasn't on Across The Stars.

Now, we know it is not.  John Williams In Vienna remains the only album you can buy to hear it.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

0028948616985.jpg

The joint albums and performances by the legendary film composer John Williams and the star violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter are undoubtedly among the highlights of recent years. This album is the latest in a longstanding friendship and collaboration between the world's acclaimed artists: Mutter performs John Williams' Violin Concerto No. 2, which the composer wrote for her.

Williams says of his Violin Concerto: “For me, this piece is primarily about Anne-Sophie Mutter and about the violin as a masterpiece of the art of violin making. (...) Ultimately, this great artist herself became my inspiration and driving force.” The present recording for Deutsche Grammophon, with the Boston Symphony Orchestra conducted by Williams himself, was written shortly after the world premiere of the Second Violin Concerto in Tanglewood in July 2021.

The Boston Globe wrote, "Even in this premiere, Mutter carried the solo like an old friend, shaping every phrase with purpose and panache." The lyrical and deeply personal concerto follows the album with three fantastic encores: Popular film themes from Williams, including from Star Wars and Indiana Jones, all of which he has completely re-arranged for Anne-Sophie Mutter. The expressiveness of Mutter's playing is reflected in various details of the violin concerto, but also in the beautiful film melodies, as is her virtuoso brilliance and the lyrical warmth of her violin tone. 

Track listing:

Violin Concerto No. 2

1 I. Prologue (Violin Concerto No. 2)

2 II. Rounds (Violin Concerto No. 2)

3 III. Dactyls (Violin Concerto No. 2)

4 IV. Epilogue (Violin Concerto No. 2)

5 Theme (From "The Long Goodbye")

6 Han Solo and the Princess (From "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back")

7 Marion's Theme (From "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark")

Artists: Anne-Sophie Mutter, Boston Symphony Orchestra, John Williams

Label: DGG , DDD, 2021

Order number: 10860297

Release date: 3.6.2022

Anne Sophie Mutter violin
Boston Symphony Orchestra Orchestra
John Williams conductor/bandleader
Bernhard Guettler Producer (Music)
Shawn Murphy Producer (Music)

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0028948616985/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-boston-symphony-orchestra/violin-concerto-no-2-selected-film-themes/index.html

SWEET! I just pre-ordered my copy with the booklet signed by Anne-Sophie Mutter!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

No, no one ever said it was different than the Vienna one.  It was simply speculated that it could be on this album, since it wasn't on Across The Stars.

Now, we know it is not.  John Williams In Vienna remains the only album you can buy to hear it.

Gotcha.  So there's also no known studio recording of it, then.

I *think* this was recorded at Symphony Hall with no audience present, while they were there to do the concerts, and not a presentation of the music as played at those two concerts, but I don't know if we definitively know that for sure yet?

As a USA resident I see no benefit in ordering it from DG or JPC.DE, so am waiting for it to be for sale at a USA-based store

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

As a USA resident I see no benefit in ordering it from DG or JPC.DE, so am waiting for it to be for sale at a USA-based store

What if the signed edition is only available there, and I assume rather limited?

Oh sure, the signed edition, yes.

Not something I'm personally interested in myself, but yes, I imagine it will only ever be available at that link

I ordered the signed edition as well. It’ll sit nicely next to my signed edition of the first album. :)

Am I also the only one who found it super funny how Jay’s google translate of DG’s press release translated Mutter to Mother in a number of places! :lol:

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Mother performs John Williams' Violin Concerto No. 2, which the composer wrote for her.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The Boston Globe wrote, "Even in this premiere, Mother carried the solo like an old friend, shaping every phrase with purpose and panache."

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The expressiveness of mother's playing is reflected in various details of the violin concerto, but also in the beautiful film melodies, as is her virtuoso brilliance and the lyrical warmth of her violin tone.

(Also the last paragraph is repeated x3 in the post, which it isn’t on DG’s page. ;))

Yea. that made me laugh too.  I fixed it up in my post.

I also found this funny: The LP version only contains the Concerto No. 2 and not the the other 3 cuts, and also splits the Concerto in half so you have to flip the disc over halfway through it...

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0028948617050/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-boston-symphony-orchestra/violin-concerto-no-2/index.html

That’s annoying for the vinyl fans…

Also odd, because I guess that Devil’s Dance wasn’t included because they wanted a sensible track list with a certain flow. And then a choice like this?

21 minutes ago, rough cut said:

That’s annoying for the vinyl fans…

Also odd, because I guess that Devil’s Dance wasn’t included because they wanted a sensible track list with a certain flow. And then a choice like this?

Uhmm, a vinyl LP simply has a time limit for each side. Not sure why that's annoying, that's the way vinyl works.
Devil's dance was live recorded in Vienna. Why live record it again in Boston?

5 minutes ago, rough cut said:

If it had fit, then it would have been better to put it on one side.

If not, I guess it’s fine.

vinyl holds about 20 to 25 minutes max each side. depending on the level. so obviously the whole concerto never could have fit on one side. neither could the film themes have fit on it as well. the way DG did it, is the only way that makes sense for one LP.

3 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

vinyl holds about 20 to 25 minutes max each side

*ahem*

ZWc.jpeg

ZWc.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/release/2968778-James-Horner-Willow-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

Because the only other arrangements he's written for her that we know about are Devil's Dance and a small update to Across The Stars, and those are short enough they could have been added to this album.

They're not gonna release a Deluxe Edition unless they had like, 5 more pieces and could bring the disc to 75-80 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

and those are short enough they could have been added to this album.

Like all the pieces that were only on the deluxe Across the Stars which was still only 1CD?

5 hours ago, rpvee said:

Makes sense.

Also, I keep getting “an error occurred in the processing of the payment” when just choosing any payment format. Anyone else?

I had the same problem in multiple browsers. Got round it by ordering through the Bravado.de site instead. Exact same offerings as the DG store. 

I was actually wondering if Marion's Theme would get the Mutter treatment. I wonder if that will be the version played in Vienna. 

Interesting to at last get to hear Han Solo and the Princess and Marion's Theme side by side. The first time I heard Marion's Theme I thought, that's pretty close to Han Solo and the Princess. Even though they both just start of with the same two notes in almost similar harmony. To me these two were always related as they also were created hardly a year apart.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

OMG. what a disgrace. which label executive okayed that? the sound quality is horrific for the levels one can cut into the grooves with that play time. DG would never do that. Anything above 20 minutes per side, you are going to make compromises regarding sound quality. 38 minutes like side A of that is just...wow... so bad. THD, SNR, Pre- and Post-echo... all over the place... Poor James Horner.

I remember the Willow vinyl, I bought it at the time, and the sound was quite horrible, lots of distortion in the inner part. For dynamic orchestra recordings more than 20-25 min per side is a no go. On the other hand, I have a vinyl of the Paganini caprices by Frank Peter Zimmermann which sound quite good, although more than 1 hour total length. But violin solo is not as loud or dynamic as orchestra, so it worked in that case.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

We don't yet know if this album is a live recording or not.

'Live recording' is a diffuse term these days. Usually when a recording happens in the context of a rehearsals&concert week, like here, 'live recording' means all good (enough) material, rehearsals and concerts, is used to compile a best possible result in the final edit. How much of that is actually from the concert(s), and how much from rehearsals, varies wildly. There can also be a so called patch session. 'Live recording' only means, that recorded concerts were part of the edit, how much so only the producers know. Can be 100%, can be almost nothing from the actual concerts.
I doubt there were also dedicated recording sessions for other material than that of the concerts in that project, since those  - in particular with American orchestras - cost the label a huge additional amount of money.

DG removed the regular CD (not signed by ASM) from their store and increased the price of the signed one by 2€ (now 18,99€).  https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p50-a157404/anne-sophie-mutter-amp-john-williams/index.html

So preordering yesterday saved me 2 bucks. Nice. :lol:

Also, there's this new package shot:

P0028948627929_1.jpg