"Violin Concerto No. 2 and Selected Film Themes" Williams / Mutter album & Blu Ray

Jay

I balked at the ludicrous shipping price. I figured I’ll buy the set via Amazon and then get Anne Sophie Mother to sign it later..😜

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Yikes.

I was like eh, maybe I should order a signed copy, why not.  Well, look at the freaking shipping to the USA!

image.png

I pass.

Yep, me too. I can't justify €33 for DG to ship a CD to California, even if it has ASM's signature on it. 

If enough people order the signed version, she just might end up scribbling her initials anyway after the first few dozen booklets to save her wrist. (At least that's what I plan to tell myself while I'm waiting for the regular one to show up on amazon.)

15 hours ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

DG removed the regular CD (not signed by ASM) from their store and increased the price of the signed one by 2€ (now 18,99€).  https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p50-a157404/anne-sophie-mutter-amp-john-williams/index.html

So preordering yesterday saved me 2 bucks. Nice. :lol:

Also, there's this new package shot:

P0028948627929_1.jpg

Well, now it’s sold out, and the technical difficulties never resolved so I wasn’t able to get it. :(

59 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Well, now it’s sold out, and the technical difficulties never resolved so I wasn’t able to get it. :(

Ah shame - I also kept getting the payment error time after time before it suddenly worked yesterday.

2 hours ago, rpvee said:

Same here. Sent them an email, and they basically said 'contact our third-party service provider yourself' - the definition of stellar custom service.

22 minutes ago, Junion said:

A video stream of the concert is available in Germany for free until March, 15th.

That's the Tanglewood concert, not the one that's on the album.

16 hours ago, rpvee said:

Well, now it’s sold out. :(

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you pre-order in advance. Not surprised that it sold out in just a few days; glad I got my order in when I did (day it was announced and available).

5 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you pre-order in advance. Not surprised that it sold out in just a few days; glad I got my order in when I did (day it was announced and available).

I mean, I would have, but the site was having technical difficulties outside my control…

The thing is, though, it is only February. This is not released until June 3rd. It’ll be up for pre-order again, I’m sure (or rather hope for those who were not able to get it yet).

38 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

The thing is, though, it is only February. This is not released until June 3rd. It’ll be up for pre-order again, I’m sure (or rather hope for those who were not able to get it yet).

Yeah, but not the signed edition.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been buying new releases on vinyl more and more recently and just using the streaming services to listen casually.  I like to make my own recordings from the LP, which usually sound VERY good on my set-up.  One downside:  Several recent new releases have had manufacturing flaws that cause recurring pops in some cues.  My Mondo JAWS copy has one ruined cue; "Princess Leia's Theme" from the Record Store Day release has a flaw.  Even the last cut from Lindsay Buckingham's newest album is marred.  Makes me a bit hesitant to plunk down MORE money for LESS music.

I see they have the pre-order page is up at DG site again. I wonder if other online stores will have their preorder pages up? Any one know for sure?

Silly question, but do you guys have some source other than the bit on the DG page where it reads "Release on: 06/03/2022" for saying the release is June 3rd?

If not, remember the difference between US and everywhere-else styling for dates, and consider that that might mean March 6th...

March 6th is a Sunday and music drops on Fridays

June 3rd is a Friday

Also, the image inside the first post on this page shows a website saying June 3rd.

Also, this link says June 3rd

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/john-williams-violinkonzert-nr-2/hnum/10860297

It's too bad he didn't get away from Sony Classical sooner...  DG is spoiling us with all of these releases.  There was a 15 year gap between American Journey and Spielberg/Williams III.  Just think of what could've been done in those years.

(cue a "I could've done more..." joke)

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice colour combo.

I wonder if Mutter wore a yellow dress for precisely this reason, knowing the DG label.   

2 hours ago, Matt S. said:

It's too bad he didn't get away from Sony Classical sooner...  DG is spoiling us with all of these releases.  There was a 15 year gap between American Journey and Spielberg/Williams III.  Just think of what could've been done in those years.

(cue a "I could've done more..." joke)

DG is superior to Sony.  However, I think Williams could have done as many albums as he chose with Sony.  

8 hours ago, Tom said:

DG is superior to Sony.  However, I think Williams could have done as many albums as he chose with Sony.

I'm sure you're right.  Williams (probably) has the clout to get anything he wants.  I just find it curious that as soon as he's done with Sony in 2017, he connected with Anne-Sophie on Markings and opened the floodgates, as it were (especially if we include the Dudamel album).  However, without the ASM connection, who is a superstar in the classical world, I doubt this JW renaissance would be happening.

Williams probably has a lot of studio recordings which have not released entirely. If its in pieces which could easily be amalgamted into a whole new album. The whole NBC re-recordings, CE3K Suite from the Williams Collaboration III (Yes! it was recorded again)  and others which dont come to mind.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Am I the only one who's never liked DG's art direction?  The "classic" banner has always read as very ugly to me.

I love the classic shield, and I'm always sad when a DG release strays too far from the standard branding. But then I practically grew up with that design.

I've certainly been aware of it for as long as I can remember (my dad had a bunch of DG albums when I was a kid) but hold no special fondness for the design itself.  I think that particular shade of yellow is very unappealing to me.

I never had a lot of DG recordings growing up, but more successful people in my periphery did and I always thought they looked very elegant and uniform all together as a collection and swore I would have one just like it when I finally made it myself. DG is not my favorite label of all time but I do appreciate their loyalty to their brand over such a long period. The yellow banner really is a staple and I am glad it is still around.

On 6/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, Disco Stu said:

Am I the only one who's never liked DG's art direction?  The "classic" banner has always read as very ugly to me.

I prefer when it it’s used as a small badge in the corner of the album cover. In full size, I agree that the yellow is not terribly attractive. Maybe if it were a little darker or had a hint of orange or something. 

The full-size shield looks stellar, though, when it’s printed in the gold/bronze they use for special editions. Also whenever it’s emblazoned with the words “John Williams”. Which, gratifyingly for us, is now happening rather more frequently.

Whatever video that is doesn't show up for me (and presumably anyone else in the USA) 

It's not on Spotify in the Central Time Zone yet, either, but thanks for the preview!  It's just a single release of the second movement, right?