"Violin Concerto No. 2 and Selected Film Themes" Williams / Mutter album & Blu Ray

Jay

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

So you think, as he was writing it, Williams was thinking about the divorce of Mutter and Previn? That's odd.

I read the booklet, and If I remember well they talked about the ending of the piece as a "relief", a "healing". Which is pretty usual for a classical work.

Then I know Previn died in 2019 and I'm sure it was a sad moment for Mutter.

There's no good or bad explanations, there's only speculations.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I read the booklet, and If I remember well they talked about the ending of the piece as a "relief", a "healing". Which is pretty usual for a classical work.

He also said the same thing about the cello Elegy in Berlin. I suppose it's something he's used in his concert music at least sometimes, and a sentiment that's been on his mind during the pandemic.

Not sure whether this has already been posted. It's in German but contains some interesting detail on the relationship between JW and ASM.

https://www.hr2.de/programm/john-williams-hat-pro-lebkuchen-einen-takt-musik-fuer-mich-geschrieben-anne-sophie-mutter-in-hr2-kultur,audio-67596.html

ASM also states that JW thinks of her as his muse.

"muse - a person, or an imaginary being or force that gives someone ideas and helps them to write, paint, or make music"

She also mentions the jazz roots she sees in concerto no. 2, an impression that JW doesn't really share in the Gramophone podcast interview.

Well, I think this disc benefits greatly from being recorded at Boston Symphony Hall. I really enjoy the recording.

I am listening to it for the first time right now. The new concerto isn't quite as accessible as his other violin work but there's enough stuff in it to keep me engaged. It's quite a long one as well. 

Karol

This is just amazing. The violin concerto has lots of really strong bits and will surely reward multiple listens. Long Goodbye takes the lead from the movie's noir/neo-noir roots and throws it back to Golden Age settings completely successfully - the parts when the strings take the theme! Han Solo and the Princess... gosh, as somebody who recently fell in love with Empire the movie again and got emotional at the finale, this unashamedly drove em to tears. Just fantastic. Too bad it's followed up by Marion which was always just a weaker HSATP anyway and the less inspired and interesting arrangement doesn't help it here either, doesn't make for a strong ending to an otherwise incredible album.

Finishing the album. I don't know The Long Goodbye and maybe therefore didn't really like the piece. Han Solo and the Princess is... interesting, but the amount of vibrato Mutter brings to these pieces is just ridiculous. Marion's theme sounds quite promising (opening is magical), but I think I'd like these pieces a lot more if they had toned down the vibrato. Marion especially begs for normal playing.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I think I'd like these pieces a lot more if they had toned down the vibrato

Yeah, I have to admit it's a little much for me a lot of the time

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

She's of the old Karajan school...

Nothing I've heard him do with her so far comes close to this insane amount of vibrato, though. I want Roger Norrington to hi-jack JW's violin material.

Just received my vinyl copy of the album.  Can't wait to give it a thorough listen at an appropriate volume (when the wife is not home!).

Edit:  The vinyl edition sounds fantastic!  Everything is well-balanced and the dynamic range is nice and wide.  I made a hi-res digital recording of the LP and it, too, sounds really good!

Listened through, and loved it.  This is only the second time I've heard the concerto after a live performance, and it already is becoming familiar.  The three film selections are absolutely perfect, and I felt the balance of ASM and the orchestra was spot on.  This is a stellar interpretation of the Long Goodbye, and Marion's Theme was quite a lovely way to end the experience.  This is a real winner of a release.  Highly recommended.

Listening to the concerto more, I'm learning a lot about JW's approach to concert music. I've already listened to most of his concert works and enjoy half of what I've heard. Now I find myself noticing his particular gestures, moves, and go-tos. Just like how in JW's film scores you can pick up on his major tendencies, the same is true of his concert work but it's a different set of tendencies.

Is there a jewel case editon release of this from Europe in particular or all issues of this is in Digipack? Im sure the Japan pressing is the jewel case.

3 hours ago, Amer said:

Is there a jewel case editon release of this from Europe in particular or all issues of this is in Digipack? Im sure the Japan pressing is the jewel case.

I can confirm you that in Spain it is a digibook.

I come back to this forum because I have question regarding this release. It looks like there will be a blu ray edition in August. Is it confirmed if that release will also feature the cd itself? I want to own the cd and the blu ray too but I don't want to pay twice for the same thing.

Thanks in advance, everybody!

1 hour ago, Juanki said:

I can confirm you that in Spain it is a digibook.

I come back to this forum because I have question regarding this release. It looks like there will be a blu ray edition in August. Is it confirmed if that release will also feature the cd itself? I want to own the cd and the blu ray too but I don't want to pay twice for the same thing.

Thanks in advance, everybody!

I would get the blu ray also despite the fact that it will feature the cd as well. But I will instead get the Japan version ie if it comes with MQA-UHQCD version +Blu ray. Also if they do the SACD editon too! 

Also to your own question I think they will most likely pair it with a cd as well. 

15 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Interesting. The MQA part makes it incompatible with standard CD players I guess? MQA is bad. A copy protection mechanism, handshake sender receiver encryption type, sold as "better sound" aka as the tale of the Emperor's new clothes. Among the biggest horse shit the industry has ever seen. Can't damage a beautiful recording like this though.

11 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Interesting. The MQA part makes it incompatible with standard CD players I guess? MQA is bad. A copy protection mechanism, handshake sender receiver encryption type, sold as "better sound" aka as the tale of the Emperor's new clothes. Among the biggest horse shit the industry has ever seen. Can't damage a beautiful recording like this though.

It probably does play on normal CD-players.

The point is it's in a jewel case...

Meltdown Feels GIF

You need an MQA encoded player or amp to get that studio like sound. Otherwise the cd will only output as a normal sound.

I have a few of these including the Berlin Concert but alas no DAC Codec to support this.

Just now, Amer said:

You need an MQA encoded player or amp to get that studio like sound. Otherwise the cd will only output as a normal sound.

Actually it will be of lesser quality than normal CD quality.

53 minutes ago, Amer said:

I ahve a few of these inlduing the Berlin Concert but alas no DAC Codec to support this.

You don't get "studio like sound". MQA is by definition a lossy codec. And it changes the sound. With filters/delays. Yes, in order to "improve" you must change. You can't have it both ways. They claim it improves it. Of course they claim that, because they want to push the technology into the market. But it's not the studio sound, it's not what the engineers in the studio ever wanted and created. Nobody needs this nonsense, except those whose business model is highwayman robbery. (quite a few bad apples like this in the music/recording business. the fruit name is coincidence here, isn't it? ;-))

5 hours ago, Lord Montague said:

It's not a copy protection mechanism, because it plays and rips fine on standard CD devices. It's like a newer kind of HDCD.

4 hours ago, Lord Montague said:

You don't get "studio like sound". MQA is by definition a lossy codec. And it changes the sound. With filters/delays. Yes, in order to "improve" you must change. You can't have it both ways. They claim it improves it. Of course they claim that, because they want to push the technology into the market. But it's not the studio sound, it's not what the engineers in the studio ever wanted and created. Nobody needs this nonsense, except those whose business model is highwayman robbery. (quite a few bad apples like this in the music/recording business. the fruit name is coincidence here, isn't it? ;-))

I don't know what exactly it does, but from what I know, it's only "lossy" to a small extent - it compromises a few bits (the LSBs I assume) of the standard CDDA data to make room for additional compressed data. So it's lossy insofar as it slightly reduces the standard CD resolution (which in that definition is also lossy, because it is a digital representation of an analogue source, and even if the master is digital, CDDA's 16 bit is probably "lossy" compared to the master's full resolution). The additional data may also be lossy insofar as it is probably compressed (that could be lossy or lossless compression, but because we're talking about a very limited number of space here, i guess it's lossy compression), but it's still additional information. If that information is used to encode some of the master's additional data compared to the CD reduction (wasn't it supposed to be something like 20 bit?), it would still be "gainy" compared to the plain CD data, even if it's lossy compared to the original master.

not trying to get into a semantics fight, but it's not only lossy based on the data, but also because it intentionally changes the audio to make it sound "better", (introducing group delay distortions through upsampling with certain minimum-phase filters AFAIK). Again, nobody wanted this or needs this, the business idea behind is to have an encryption handshake between sender and receiver, a copy protection mechanism, the buzzword is DRM, digital rights management. You are not supposed to own anything anymore, they will happily sell it to you every time you want to use it...

Fair enough, and I strongly dislike anything related to DRM, and proprietary codecs and formats for (at least) "everyday content" like audio and video streams, images, text documents etc. But the DRM part only applies to the additional MQA encoded data, everyone else gets a 13 bit CD with some noise.

That said, we have lots of established physical and digital formats (and at least the latter are open and free) that can do what MQA does and much more, so yes, it's at least a minor inconvenience and utterly pointless.

Listened to it for the first time (Amazon Music). Theme From The Long Goodbye is a nice (Barber-esque?) arrangement and kinda stood out for me. Was it the same for you? Of course, it's hard to evaluate the violin concerto on only just the first listen but somehow it felt reminiscent of the first violin concerto. 

12 minutes ago, Madmartigan JC said:

Regarding MQA, little does it matter in this case.
Sadly, the mastering will still sound as awfully compressed as the regular CD and UHD versions. 

Are you confusing it with the Yo-Yo Ma album? The Mutter album sounds fine to my ears. A couple of very loud moments sound slightly clipped, but it's only slightly distracting.

Odd comment. I hear nothing like anyone "screwing up" on this album. It sounds great to my ears. 8:05 in Rounds there might be a slight compression or limiting going on due to the loud Bass drum, but isn't that always the case in such recordings? The alternative of having the bass drum uncompressed in its full dynamic range means the whole album must be 10 dB or so quieter in level AFAIK. Probably not acceptable? Then everybody would complain why that album is so low in level. And all over I hear no compression on this album, except for these very few loud bass drum places. Where do you hear compression? I love the sound of that album. It has depth, it has dynamic range, it has a great balance between blend and detail.
'Gathering of friends' or the 'Berlin Concert' might have overdone the compression in some places, but here it seems fine to me.

Or did you hear the Dolby Atmos stream over headphones? That always sounds bad, blame Dolby or Apple with their "binaural" down mixes.
Always listen to the original stereo mix if you don't have a 3D loudspeaker setup.

20 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Sweet! I think I’ll wait until it is available to order on an American retailer. I still have not gotten the copy of the CD signed by Anne-Sophie Mutter.

Interesting.  The previous Blu-Rays of Vienna and Berlin both included CDs,  but this doesn't seem too.  I will definitely be getting this.  

Why, oh why haven't DVDs and Blu-Rays like this been released all along throughout the decades?

On 25/6/2022 at 5:10 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

Presto has it too which might be faster and cheaper for some folks. (Thought, they don't have the 10" vinyl.)

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9329243--williams-violin-concerto-no-2-selected-film-themes

7 hours ago, pro-arte said:

Is the broacasted Philadelphia orchestra version sounding better than the deutsch grammophone ?

Well, I think that ASM continues to understand the work better and better. I just listened to the Philly version again this weekend, and it is very tight. Carnegie Hall sounds great (as do Symphony Hall in Boston). Probably a toss up between the two in terms of performance. I would say the Philadelphia Orchestra is probably considered stronger now than the BSO, but the BSO does love to play for JW. 

There is one big caveat though on preference which is why I think the released version is better. At the end of the piece, there is a very loud clunk on the radio broadcast. It's quite audible and gets in the way of the ending. This is not a criticism of the recording of course - just an unfortunate accident.

@lairdo My copy arrived within 10 days which is pretty fast from Presto but they shipped via their UK outlet which is why. They have a far better price than other online options. WIll  definetly order again from them for the Bluray.