"Violin Concerto No. 2 and Selected Film Themes" Williams / Mutter album & Blu Ray

Jay

Album review: John Williams’s Violin Concerto No. 2 beautifully recorded by Anne-Sophie Mutter and the BSO under the composer

https://jarijuhanikallio.wordpress.com/2022/07/06/album-review-john-williamss-violin-concerto-no-2-beautifully-recorded-by-anne-sophie-mutter-and-the-bso-under-the-composer/

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Don't know whether this has already been picked up.

"Marion's Theme" for violin and piano with ASM plus interview (in German)

Morgenmagazin: Livemusik: Anne-Sophie Mutter | ARD Mediathek

Morgenmagazin: Talk: Anne-Sophie Mutter | ARD Mediathek

...with a Bleistift!

Very cool. Thanks for posting. I've seen clips of her on that show before. It's great that they do those pieces and to have Marion's Theme for Piano and Violin.

(And I love ASM's Yoda with sunglasses and headphones shirt - DJ Yoda Cool!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2022 at 9:52 AM, BB-8 said:

"Marion's Theme" for violin and piano with ASM

Morgenmagazin: Livemusik: Anne-Sophie Mutter

WOW!  I finally had a chance to watch this and damn, this duet for piano and violin version of Marion's Theme is EXCELLENT!  And this recording is good enough to save and keep as an audio file - awesome!

Thanks for sharing!  I hope more people watch this!

• 3 weeks later...

On Amazon, I only see the blu-ray in a region-locked version that releases a week from now. I see DG has it on their shop, but it doesn't say what region it is. Anyone know for sure if there's a US version?

Do you mean this $35 Amazon US entry?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Z7H6MW2

I'd just order it from Presto for $18.75 instead

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9329243--williams-violin-concerto-no-2-selected-film-themes

Presto has the region free Blu ray. I'm hoping that CDJapan will put this out SACD like they did with Vienna and Berlin sets.

Thanks guys, maybe I'll try Presto if it doesn't pop up on Amazon. I have some Amazon bux to spend, so that would be ideal.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Do you mean this $35 Amazon US entry?

Yes, that was the only one I could find.

46 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I guess this will contain the same things as the Blu-Ray

Yea

It's an import of the Region B release, they don't have an page at all for a US release (if there is one), or the region-free release (which you can get on Presto for $18.75)

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

Lol true. I wouldn't be surprised if all copies are region free.

It used to be common for classical DVDs to be region free. I'd guess it's still the same for Blus. In any case, I'd assume what Amazon offers is the same I'll be able to get locally or at German Amazon or JPC, so I'll report back when I have mine.

I’ve had a notification to say my Blu-ray has shipped. Really looking forward to seeing it. 

Out of interest, did anyone else here get the LP? Truly one of the worst sounding pressings I’ve ever heard 😔 really noisy, peppered with horrible distorted blips. Ended up getting my money back. Such a shame for a DG release to sound so bad 

10 hours ago, bigjimwilson said:

I’ve had a notification to say my Blu-ray has shipped. Really looking forward to seeing it. 

Out of interest, did anyone else here get the LP? Truly one of the worst sounding pressings I’ve ever heard 😔 really noisy, peppered with horrible distorted blips. Ended up getting my money back. Such a shame for a DG release to sound so bad 

My Blu-ray and 10 inch LP should arrive on Monday.

As for the Violin Concerto LP, I really didn't found the sound that bad. I plan on listening to it this afternoon so I'll be giving some extra attention to tge sound quality.

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

My Blu-ray and 10 inch LP should arrive on Monday.

As for the Violin Concerto LP, I really didn't found the sound that bad. I plan on listening to it this afternoon so I'll be giving some extra attention to tge sound quality.

well fingers crossed this means mine was a one off and they’re not all bad

6 hours ago, bigjimwilson said:

well fingers crossed this means mine was a one off and they’re not all bad

The sound is a bit low on the vinyl. Depending in the set-up, one might pick more static when pumping up the volume. But again, hardly the worst vinyl release I've heard.

But if you experience really that bad a sound, maybe it was some pressing issue that affected your copy.

Alas, Presto informed me on Friday that they are delayed in shipping my copy of the Blu-Ray. This, despite, having ordered within hours of the listing going live in June. I don't know if this means their entire shipment was delayed and I am not alone or if this only impacts a handful of folks. 

I also have one on order from Amazon US, and that is indicating a Friday delivery next week.

DG has shipped my 10" Film Themes mini-LP and it's on the way over the Atlantic. 

Modern vinyls, I mean made from digital masters, are a MAJOR HACK*.

They want your money and you send it to them.

:nono:

*for many reasons I will not repeat again and again and again and again. But, creating a Master for a vinyl was once an ART and there were rules to follow, starting with positionning the right tracks at the right place on each side... anyway... I really start to feel like an old sorcerer trying to explain things to stupid kids who'll never understand me!

On 21/08/2022 at 12:14 AM, lairdo said:

Alas, Presto informed me on Friday that they are delayed in shipping my copy of the Blu-Ray. This, despite, having ordered within hours of the listing going live in June. I don't know if this means their entire shipment was delayed and I am not alone or if this only impacts a handful of folks. 

I also have one on order from Amazon US, and that is indicating a Friday delivery next week.

DG has shipped my 10" Film Themes mini-LP and it's on the way over the Atlantic. 

I also got delay notification yesterday from Presto, they expect to despatch my order within the next few days.🤔

1 hour ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Third part of the interview with ASM:

"Bequeathed"? Is John Williams going down a path where we can't follow?

On 23/08/2022 at 3:27 AM, Sergeant said:

I also got delay notification yesterday from Presto, they expect to despatch my order within the next few days.🤔

Here's what I got today from Presto. Not great news. It does look like my order from DG directly cleared NY yesterday, so maybe that will arrive this week.

"We are very sorry that you have not received your order.

Unfortunately this item is still out of stock at the UK Distributors. They continue to inform us that the item is available to order but cannot tell us when they will have the item in stock again. We understand that this is not the most ideal situation and will continue to try to obtain the item on your behalf."

At least they are communicative. 

Perhaps this means the album is very popular? Or could be DG did not make enough? Or just supply chain issues?

5 hours ago, BB-8 said:

4 left in stock at Amazon.co.uk...

Likely a supply chain issue.

Yeah, but odd that Presto did not get their initial order given that they are a big partner to DG in this space. (But likely not to Universal Music.)

This just came in from Presto:

"We have been notified by our supplier that your item is unexpectedly out of stock. We expect this situation to be resolved within the next two weeks and will despatch it as soon as possible."

12 hours ago, lairdo said:

Yeah, but odd that Presto did not get their initial order given that they are a big partner to DG in this space. (But likely not to Universal Music.)

This just came in from Presto:

"We have been notified by our supplier that your item is unexpectedly out of stock. We expect this situation to be resolved within the next two weeks and will despatch it as soon as possible."

The next two weeks!! Damn!!😱

In my haste of ordering this from Presto I forgot to add my city in the mailing address. So I had to email them to fix the error I made. As Jim said they have excellent service, I’m hoping they will revert to my query on Monday. The order confirmation however mentioned that my order will ship by 1st September. So hopefully it will be back in stock and ship to my fully updated address.:unsure:

On 25/8/2022 at 4:45 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Not to disparage a fine piece of wordplay but I would also add that in my experience, Presto’s customer service is excellent.

Well, I did get a notice this week that my order had shipped (as of Thursday). But alas, despite paying for Fedex tracked shipping, Presto only shipped my disc via untracked standard international mail which will take 2 weeks. Fortunately, my back up Amazon order arrived! So, I have the lovely disc now and have already enjoyed much of it via video and audio only. 

I emailed their support but did not hear back. Frustratingly, when they first emailed that the delay was happening (Aug 19), I responded with understanding and reminding the agent that I had paid for the faster shipping service. I received a response to that email (so I know they saw it). And still the mistake. I will be asking them for a shipping refund. Sadly, this has happened in the past, and frankly I found their response unapologetic at that time. I love their site and they are one of the best sources of physical music, but I actually buy digital tracks from Qobuz. (Eurodisc is another source of physical discs from Europe I sometimes use.)

To the release itself which is what really matters: I find the cardboard a bit more flimsy than past Mutter-Williams releases, but otherwise I am very happy with the presentation and disc. The audio only tracks do not have any introductions but the video does include these for the film pieces recorded in Boston. It's lovely to see ASM react to JW's heaps of praise and her joyful excitement before she plays Han and the Princess. As John Williams fans, we really owe her a huge debt of gratitude for inspiring Williams so much. (And to quote both Williams and Mutter,  "Dear Andre" too.)

I do not see any indication that DG will be releasing a video blu-ray for Japan on this one, so no plastic case via that market. I suspect that the sales of the CD were not large enough to merit a second release in Japan, unlike for the more film music oriented Berlin and Vienna concerts.

I hope everyone's copies arrive soon!

On 7/10/2021 at 2:51 PM, igger6 said:

I'd be surprised if the tweaked "Across the Stars" made it to the album, since she already recorded it in the studio.  Wasn't that itself an update of an earlier violin arrangement she performed somewhere in Europe the year before the album came out?

I just realized (despite that the back of the Blu-ray shows this info) that the encore from Tanglewood's Violin Concerto No. 2 "Across the stars" is on the Blu-ray video portion of the new release. It's not in the audio only section (which is basically the album tracks). 

Audio Only

Violin Concerto No. 2 - 4 movements

"The Love Themes" (that's what JW calls them in the video track)

The Long Goodbye

Han Solo and the Princess

Marion's Theme

Video

Violin Concerto No. 2 - 4 movements

Intro to Encore

Across the Stars

"The Love Themes" (that's what JW calls them in the video track)

Intro by JW

The Long Goodbye

Intro by JW

Han Solo and the Princess

Intro by JW

Marion's Theme

So, the DG powers-that-be did at least include that revised version officially in some capacity. They missed a chance in my opinion though with not including this on the 10" vinyl release to round out side B.

Strange they didn’t include it in the audio portion.

I guess they didn’t want to “confuse” the average listener who might be skimming the track list - since there’s an album with the same name with JW/Mutter - that this release would be too similar to that. And by having fewer tracks put the concerto more in focus.

But it’s strange.