"Violin Concerto No. 2 and Selected Film Themes" Williams / Mutter album & Blu Ray

Jay

20 hours ago, rough cut said:

Strange they didn’t include it in the audio portion.

I guess they didn’t want to “confuse” the average listener who might be skimming the track list - since there’s an album with the same name with JW/Mutter - that this release would be too similar to that. And by having fewer tracks put the concerto more in focus.

But it’s strange.

Even stranger is that the track is listed with the fine print of (video only) on the back cover. It's not a space issue on the disc either. There is still plenty of room. 

image.jpeg

It feels like a (bad) studio decision.

[Dialogue between executive and assistant, while compiling the release at DG]

E: “Is this release too similar to the previous one?”

A: “Which one?”

E: “The red one, you know, Across The Stars?”

A: “Why do you figure?”

E: “Well it looks like almost like a bonus disc to that one…”

A: ???

E: “Too many similar tracks. Just look at it!”

A: “It’s really only the one track…”

E: - “Yeah, but it’s the title track!”

A: “There’s space though… and it’s not really the same recording. Not even the same arrangement…”

E: “Our buyers won’t know that by just looking at the track list! No, that’s it. I’m calling it! It’s off the album!”

[Assistant obeys but sneakily puts it in the video portion since that doesn’t explicitly go against the his instructions]

On 26/8/2022 at 12:17 AM, Amer said:

In my haste of ordering this from Presto I forgot to add my city in the mailing address. So I had to email them to fix the error I made. As Jim said they have excellent service, I’m hoping they will revert to my query on Monday. The order confirmation however mentioned that my order will ship by 1st September. So hopefully it will be back in stock and ship to my fully updated address.:unsure:

Just got my update from Presto. They fixed my shipping address. I suppose their customer service is legendary.

On 30/08/2022 at 2:02 AM, rough cut said:

It feels like a (bad) studio decision.

[Dialogue between executive and assistant, while compiling the release at DG]

E: “Is this release too similar to the previous one?”

E: “The red one, you know, Across The Stars?”

E: “Well it looks like almost like a bonus disc to that one…”

A: “It’s really only the one track…”

E: - “Yeah, but it’s the title track!”

A: “There’s space though… and it’s not really the same recording. Not even the same arrangement…”

E: “Our buyers won’t know that by just looking at the track list! No, that’s it. I’m calling it! It’s off the album!”

[Assistant obeys but sneakily puts it in the video portion since that doesn’t explicitly go against the his instructions]

The same office, two months later...

A: "We've been offered some recordings from Emil Berliner Studios of Anne-Sophie Mutter live with the Vienna Philharmonic playing John Williams' second violin concerto, conducted by Williams himself.

E: “Isn't this release too similar to the previous one?”

E: “The blue one, you know, Violin Concerto No. 2 and selected film themes?

E: “Well it looks almost like a bonus disc to that one…”

A: “It’s really only the violin pieces…”

E: - “Yeah, but it’s the same concerto!”

A: “There’s space though for all violin pieces on one disc and the orchestral film music with VPO on a second disc… and it’s not really the same recording and not the same orchestra …we could do gold, live and limited editions, with and without speeches, and we could even produce direct-to-disc pressings and one-off master cuts...$$$!”

E: “Our buyers won’t know that by just looking at the track list! No, that’s it. I’m calling it! The album is off!”

Got a shipping delay message update from Presto :

We regret that we have not been able to despatch your order, number 10124162, in the timescale originally quoted. However, we expect to do so within the next few days.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:57 PM, Amer said:

Got a shipping delay message update from Presto :

We regret that we have not been able to despatch your order, number 10124162, in the timescale originally quoted. However, we expect to do so within the next few days.

Amazingly, my Presto basic shipping via RoyalMail (not tracked) made it in 8 days. Hope your ships out soon. 

1 hour ago, lairdo said:

Amazingly, my Presto basic shipping via RoyalMail (not tracked) made it in 8 days. Hope your ships out soon. 

I hope so too. Any idea if they will issue this on SACD as well? Although the Dolby Atmos  set would be best substitute for the time being in multi channel.

6 hours ago, BB-8 said:

The box is slightly shorter than that of The Berlin Concert and has a different haptic quality.

It's non-glossy and has the same height as the Vienna Blu-ray, which is indeed ever so slightly shorter than the Berlin one. Funny I never noticed that before, even though I have them both next to each other on my shelf.

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's non-glossy and has the same height as the Vienna Blu-ray, which is indeed ever so slightly shorter than the Berlin one. Funny I never noticed that before, even though I have them both next to each other on my shelf.

These are the things that really matter in life and that cannot be reproduced via digital media (except for the exact quantitative measures).

Is it only me or do the videos from symphony hall look rather poor compared to the Tanglewood video and the other DG Williams releases? One front angle is somewhat shaky. And some orchestra sections were not shown at all (maybe due to the lack of cameras?). Also what irritates me a bit are the microphone cables that are above the orchestra. You can't see that in the Berlin Philharmonic, for example. IMO the older BPO videos from evening at pops look better than these new videos.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Is it only me or do the videos from symphony hall look rather poor compared to the Tanglewood video and the other DG Williams releases? One front angle is somewhat shaky. And some orchestra sections were not shown at all (maybe due to the lack of cameras?). Also what irritates me a bit are the microphone cables that are above the orchestra. You can't see that in the Berlin Philharmonic, for example. IMO the older BPO videos from evening at pops look better than these new videos.

Yeah, got the same impression. The camera work and editing of the intro welcoming JW is particularly messy, almost amateurish.

Just picked mine up from a local record shop - they’d had it delivered weeks ago, but work was preventing me getting to them. Maybe an argument in favour of ordering from bricks & mortar shops?

Just listening to the van conc and everything’s lovely so far. At about 6:50, it looks like two oboists are pulling through their instruments which seems a bit odd. It’s quite an involved operation to do during a performance - I could understand one of them having something stuck, but two of them together is surprising. Anyone care to speculate why?

Mark

They were probably just taking advantage of an extended passage where they didn’t have to play anything so they could do a routine cleaning of the saliva and condensation that builds up in their instruments.  Happens to all wind and brass instruments; brass instruments have a spit valve but winds usually pull a piece of cloth through.

Most woodwind instruments drain naturally and don’t need pulling through during a concert because they have a straight bore. Brass instruments have water keys because the turns in their tubes result in water building up and the instrument starts to gurgle if it isn’t drained regularly by the player.

Anyway, I asked an oboist friend who said there’s a particular design of oboe which tends to get moisture buildup in the topmost hole in particular when playing in a high octave. It’s unpredictable, blocks the note and the only solution is to pull-through (which otherwise would not be done during a piece because it’s too time-consuming). He said it was unusual for two oboes to have it happen simultaneously, but not impossible.

Mark

On Amazon.ca they still write that the bluray is Region 2, so I didn't ordered it yet. Williams: Violin Concerto No. 2 & Selected Film Themes: Amazon.ca: Films et séries télévisées

On 05/09/2022 at 11:23 AM, Dr. Rick said:

Amazon U.S. is now $26.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Z7H6MW2

Even them specify the bluray is Region 2.

Well I sent a notice to Amazon.ca, just to ask them.. What's the goal of selling bluray specifying a wrong Region Code... On the disc image we see a Big 0... is it the right image?

That's confusing...

If you don't want to sell your products, that's a very good way to advert them I think... DG should check this.

On 24/09/2022 at 2:02 PM, Bespin said:

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

What's the goal of selling bluray specifying a wrong Region Code... On the disc image we see a Big 0... is it the right image?

There are no regions 2 or 0 for Blu-rays. Every DVD had a region code ranging from 1 to 7, or 0 to indicate all regions. Blu-rays only have three possible codes - A, B, and C. I don't remember the specifics, but A includes the USA (and presumably Canada), and B includes Europe. I believe I vaguely remember that a disc can have more than one code, e.g. A and B. Probably because of that, there is no separate code (like 0) for a region free Blu-ray disc. Rather, it's just without a region code.

I assume the "0" you're talking about is the one printed on the disc itself in the photo at Amazon? That's "FSK 0" and doesn't indicate a region but the Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle rating, which is the German counterpart to the US MPAA rating - i.e. "0" simply means for all ages.

47 minutes ago, Bespin said:

If you don't want to sell your products, that's a very good way to advert them I think... DG should check this.

Their carelessness is self-defeating. I would have ordered it already if it weren't for that notice. We need someone to be the guinea pig!

On 24/9/2022 at 8:02 AM, Bespin said:

On Amazon.ca they still write that the bluray is Region 2, so I didn't ordered it yet. Williams: Violin Concerto No. 2 & Selected Film Themes: Amazon.ca: Films et séries télévisées

I ordered it via Amazon. It is region-free. The back even says “All Regions.”

29 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's not like if their warning was subtile! hehe

I imagine their database entry for films has a region code flag, and as soon as it's set to something else than A or 2, that message is displayed. So it's very likely still just a wrongly filled region code entry.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

I ordered it via Amazon. It is region-free. The back even says “All Regions.”

I own it; I’ve watched it. The Amazon page has inaccurate information. The blu-ray is region-free.

Amazon does that all the time for non US Titles. It’s likely an algorithm where they err on the side of region lock rather than deal with consumers returning incompatible discs 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Marion's Theme (From "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark")

Anne-Sophie Mutter

Konzerthausorchester Berlin, Joana Mallwitz

from 18:27 onwards:

OPUS KLASSIK 2023 - Preisverleihung aus dem Konzerthaus Berlin - ZDFmediathek

image.png

image.png

• 1 month later...