"Violin Concerto No. 2 and Selected Film Themes" Williams / Mutter album & Blu Ray

Jay

47 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Oh my God! Just read this on ASM website:

"To whet fans’ appetites, a new single and video of the concerto’s second movement, “Rounds”, will be available from 11 March. This will be followed by “Han Solo and the Princess” on 29 April, with a special YouTube premiere for its video on 4 May – Star Wars Day. The e-single and video of “Marion’s Theme” will be released on the same day as the album, 3 June, while the video of the Theme from The Long Goodbye will come out with the Blu-ray album on 19 August."

I'm assuming these are from the Vienna performance? Unless they intend to mix the Tanglewood concerto performance, with the three performances in Boston. The concerto wasn't video recorded as far as I could see, but that free concert with the film arrangements was.

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Oh my God! Just read this on ASM website:

"To whet fans’ appetites, a new single and video of the concerto’s second movement, “Rounds”, will be available from 11 March. This will be followed by “Han Solo and the Princess” on 29 April, with a special YouTube premiere for its video on 4 May – Star Wars Day. The e-single and video of “Marion’s Theme” will be released on the same day as the album, 3 June, while the video of the Theme from The Long Goodbye will come out with the Blu-ray album on 19 August."

At what weblink can I find this quote?

RIGHT!?

How did someone as massive of a star as John Williams not have videos of his concerts regularly coming out through the 80s, 90s, 00, and 10s?  Why did it take until the 20s for this to happen!?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

"Scheduled for release on 19 August, a special single-disc Blu-ray edition of the album will feature all tracks in Pure Audio – also available in Surround and Dolby Atmos – along with films of last summer’s world premiere of the second violin concerto at Tanglewood, together with the artists’ encore performance of “Across the Stars” (from Star Wars: Attack of the Clones); the three film themes in concert from Boston; and a 25minute interview with John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter at Tanglewood"

Peculiar wording. Not sure if it actually means that the whole concerto will be available as a video recording?

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Peculiar wording. Not sure if it actually means that the whole concerto will be available as a video recording?

I don't see the confusion.  It seems clear to me it contains the entire Violin Concerto 2 from Tanglewood, and the other 3 pieces that are on the album from Boston.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

So, the CD recording will be from October in Boston and the blu-ray will be the Tanglewood premiere?

Wait, why do you think the CD audio will be from the Boston performance?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Wait, why do you think the CD audio will be from the Boston performance?

Wasn't that what was posted in this thread before?  I remember people remarking that it was funny to use a photo from Tanglewood when the album recording was in Boston?

Let me scroll back and check

lol, I forgot how rude to me Amer was on the first page for no reason.

OK, I found this (bolding mine)

On 19/11/2021 at 6:35 PM, JohnnyD said:

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/artists/john-williams/news/john-williams-conducts-the-berliner-philharmoniker-for-the-first-time-on-the-berlin-concert-264911

“Next year will also see the release of John Williams’ latest collaboration with star violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter, performing the world premiere recording of his Violin Concerto No. 2 with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. The album will be released by Deutsche Grammophon in summer 2022 as part of the continuing celebrations surrounding the composer’s 90th birthday.”

and

On 10/02/2022 at 7:18 AM, Jay said:

Williams says of his Violin Concerto: “For me, this piece is primarily about Anne-Sophie Mutter and about the violin as a masterpiece of the art of violin making. (...) Ultimately, this great artist herself became my inspiration and driving force.” The present recording for Deutsche Grammophon, with the Boston Symphony Orchestra conducted by Williams himself, was written shortly after the world premiere of the Second Violin Concerto in Tanglewood in July 2021.

and here's ASM confirming it's the Boston recording:

On 11/02/2022 at 1:22 PM, Steve said:

20220211_191957.jpg

So yes, CD = Boston recording, Blu Ray Video = Tanglewood film

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't see the confusion.  It seems clear to me it contains the entire Violin Concerto 2 from Tanglewood, and the other 3 pieces that are on the album from Boston.

It says "along with films of last summer’s world premiere of the second violin concerto at Tanglewood". "Films of" could refer to the violin concerto and the other pieces (but the rest of the sentence sounds to me like this part refers specifically to the concerto), or to "vignettes" or "featurettes" around the premiere performance of the concerto. I'd probably be less sceptical if it wasn't for the previous announcement that the "regular" release of the concert would be the Boston performance.

I'll be happy if we get both, though. And if they indeed release two different recordings on the "album", who's to say there won't be another release of the Vienna performance down the road (one can always hope).

Genuine question because I have no idea: How much of a difference does there tend to be from performance to performance for a concerto of this nature?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Genuine question because I have no idea: How much of a difference does there tend to be from performance to performance for a concerto of this nature?

Depends. If it were different performers, or the same performers a significant amount of time later, the differences could of course be huge. These is a new work, performed by the people, not long apart, so it wouldn't be a "new" interpretation but rather a "refined" one. Differences would probably mostly be down to the Williams' and Mutter's constitution, the performers (especially Mutter) having had more time to rehearse difficult passages, potentially specific bits that they decided to do differently after the initial performance, and acoustics - depending on how much Williams (as primarily a recording artist) actively takes them into account, acoustics can have a significant impact on things like tempo and dynamics.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

"Scheduled for release on 19 August, a special single-disc Blu-ray edition of the album will feature all tracks in Pure Audio – also available in Surround and Dolby Atmos – along with films of last summer’s world premiere of the second violin concerto at Tanglewood, together with the artists’ encore performance of “Across the Stars” (from Star Wars: Attack of the Clones); the three film themes in concert from Boston; and a 25minute interview with John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter at Tanglewood"

2 hours ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Give me the pre-order link NOW! This is so awesome! Now I just need a release of the Maestro’s second concert in Vienna and that will be the icing on the cake!

The video was already posted wasn't it?  I saw it at lunchtime!

EDIT: It was posted around noon to the FSM thread, I could have sworn it was already here before then but I guess not?

The track times are new, I think?

1 I. Prologue 11:12
2 II. Rounds 9:29
3 III. Dactyls 6:00
4 IV. Epilogue 8:23
5 Theme from The Long Goodbye 5:58
6 Han Solo and the Princess from The Empire Strikes Back 5:31
7 Marion’s Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark 4:24

So that's an album of 50:57 length if I'm not mistaken

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Where did they announce a blueray video release?

https://www.anne-sophie-mutter.de/en/page/projects/john-williams-violin-concerto-no.-2-anne-sophie-mutter/john-williams-violin-concerto-no.-2-1/

...The e-single and video of “Marion’s Theme” will be released on the same day as the album, 3 June, while the video of the Theme from The Long Goodbye will come out with the Blu-ray album on 19 August.

I clicked on the Anne Sophie mutter page in the link posted above and the browser pinged me to “Allow for Cookies” 🤪🫓

1 hour ago, Steve said:

This is also news for me:

Scheduled for release on 19 August, a special single-disc Blu-ray edition of the album will feature all tracks in Pure Audio – also available in Surround and Dolby Atmos – along with films of last summer’s world premiere of the second violin concerto at Tanglewood, together with the artists’ encore performance of “Across the Stars” (from Star Wars: Attack of the Clones); the three film themes in concert from Boston; and a 25minute interview with John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter at Tanglewood. A 10-inch vinyl version of the three film themes will be released on the same day, available exclusively online from the DG Store.

To whet fans’ appetites, a new single and video of the concerto’s second movement, “Rounds”, will be available from 11 March. This will be followed by “Han Solo and the Princess” on 29 April, with a special YouTube premiere for its video on 4 May – Star Wars Day. The e-single and video of “Marion’s Theme” will be released on the same day as the album, 3 June, while the video of the Theme from The Long Goodbye will come out with the Blu-ray album on 19 August.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

The most accurate read would be Vienna, since JW is known to alter things, including a second arrangement of Across the Stars. The Boston performances were a little tighter than in Tanglewood, including the balance of the orchestra. For example in Rounds, the point early on where the orchestra builds up to that full climax, the brass was toned down in Boston (which I didn't like as much), which makes you wonder if that was for acoustic/balance reasons of the venue or because he changed his mind. I think some pictures of the Vienna actually orchestra parts surfaced before where you can see he altered the balance, mostly cutting out doublings. Again, not sure if that was for the hall or he just liked it better.

He made have even made some slight edits which I felt like I noticed just in two or three spots at the time in Boston, but I can't remember at the moment. It was quite subtle anyway. But if we get a "true" undoctored recording from the Boston concerts, we'll be able to see for ourselves! I really hope a recording of Vienna surfaces.

9 hours ago, Steve said:

Via the link provided in the 7th post on this page, with the relevant part that announces it quoted by me in the 10th post on this page.

On 10/03/2022 at 6:40 PM, Fabulin said:

Also already available on YT:

My favourite movement as far as Williams's concerti go.

Painful reading some of the comments on the Youtube page--I wish I had the self-control to refrain from reading them.  What is funny are the complaints about lack of melody and dissonance in this movement: two very clear melodies and barely dissonant.  

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Painful reading some of the comments on the Youtube page--I wish I had the self-control to refrain from reading them.  What is funny are the complaints about lack of melody and dissonance in this movement: two very clear melodies and barely dissonant.  

Looks like the comments are disabled now. I don’t even see any comments anymore. 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

What does Vienna have to do with this album?

Well, actually... :lol:

JW and Mutter decided to premiere the new Long Goodbye as a part 1 encore in yesterday's concert. Mutter does not sing the song but she does make her violin sing it! It starts with a dark solo then eventually grows to all the strings sweepingly taking it in almost a classic golden age noir style.

10 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

God I hate violin and violin arrangements. I wish JW wouldn't waste the last years of his life on this, I'd love to see more cello concertos before he kicks it. 

How dare Williams not cater to you.