How long did it take JW to compose the various Star Wars scores?

karelm

What are the composition dates for each of John Williams' Star Wars scores?  Do we know this?  Consider that end date of composition won't be the scoring session date but the date he hands it over to copyists because I assume for the earlier scores, the orchestrator was engaged throughout the composition process rather than only after the score was finished.  In the sequel trilogy, he composed throughout the film editing process).   According to Chris Malone's excellent document on recording Star Wars, he quotes JW as saying this about what I think is ROTS:

”Later, after viewing the completed film, the composer was afforded over 10 weeks to write his 2 hour and 10 minute score. Still, time isn’t necessarily a luxury. 'It is fast. It’s a very difficult schedule.' said Williams looking back shortly before the film’s May 19 release."

He also says that ESB started recording 8 weeks after spotting.  I doubt JW would have composed prior to spotting because he doesn't read scripts so hadn't seen the film or known the story prior (with possible exception being discussions with Lucas and directors but based on interviews, seems unlikely he would start the work process until he "experiences" the film first).  So it means he must have composed ESB in about 7 weeks maximum.   That's about 3 minutes of completed music per day...every day he was composing the score.  I'm also wondering how that compares with the Prequals and Sequels.   How does this compare with modern sci-fi space fantasies like Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers movies?  Do they get more or less time to score an epic sci-fi extravaganza?  

Star Wars was spotted in early January 77... recorded in early March 77. 

Empire was spotted in early November 79... recorded in late December 79/early January 80.

Jedi was spotted in November 82 ... Recorded in January /February 83.

Phantom Menace was spotted October 98 ... recorded February 99

Attack of the Clones was spotted October 01.... recorded January 02

Revenge of the Sith was spotted October 04.... recorded February 05

Clearly, the first two scores were composed in a shorter time period, just under two months. 

It's also fun to notice that there were things that hadn't been shot yet when Williams started recording the music, and therefore needed some editing.

I think using the London Symphony was both an asset and a problem though, since the recording sessions had to be conducted way too early (which mostly affected the prequels, but the OT also suffered a bit)

I think you're wrong about the copyists though.... I assume copyists could start working while Williams was still composing the later cues. I don't think he finishes composing until right before recording sessions begin. Consider that recording sessions are spread over a couple of weeks, so I guess the cues that were composed right before the first session are recorded towards the end, giving enough time to the copyists.