A New Hope OST out of sync with film?

enderdrag64

I was working on my own personal isolated score edit of A New Hope where I synced up the audio to the picture, including replicating all the film edits (heresy, I know), but I noticed a bit of a problem.

Many of the RCA OST tracks, though interestingly not all of them, seem to run slightly faster (maybe by like 3-7%) than the music in the actual film. For example, if you sync up the first part of The Battle of Yavin (Standing By) with the start of the cue in the film, you'll find that the OST cue ends 5 seconds earlier than the film cue (1:15 in the film vs 1:10 on the album, a 7% speed difference).

As far as I can tell there are no audible microedits to account for this, and the fsm articles I've read about the original trilogy score say this cue was used in the film unaltered. The only explanation I can come up with is that some of the OST tracks play too fast. Can anyone else check if this is really the case or if I'm missing something?

Blu-ray/DVD films, due to the framerate being 23.976fps whereas the native film framerate is 24fps, results in the film's audio typically being too fast. Although I suppose how the tapes were transferred in '77 could've resulted in the audio a bit too slow in this case perhaps. I'm sure someone else would be able to explain it in better detail.

Basically in essence no film audio is at the proper speed due to NTSC/PAL standards.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Blu-ray/DVD films, due to the framerate being 23.976fps whereas the native film framerate is 24fps, results in the film's audio typically being too fast. Although I suppose how the tapes were transferred in '77 could've resulted in the audio a bit too slow in this case perhaps. I'm sure someone else would be able to explain it in better detail.

Basically in essence no film audio is at the proper speed due to NTSC/PAL standards.

You could’ve copied and pasted your explanation you gave me yesterday😂😂😂

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I was aware of PAL standard being 25fps against the 24fps of the native speed, which make a 4% difference, therefore you could notice a time difference as well as a higher sound pitch of around one semitone, but that applies to DVD.
However, if we are talking about 24fps vs 23.974, the difference is 0.01%: that means that what is 100 seconds long in one system, will be 99.9 second long in the other. Nothing that justifies the 3-7% differences explained by the OP.