Dune OST vs. Dune Sketchbook

Brundlefly

What do you listen to more often?/What do you prefer?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What do you listen to more often?/What do you prefer?

• The Dune OST
    • The Dune Sketchbook

What did you end up preferring as a listening experience?

I've kinda settled on the Sketchbook, because I not only prefer the longer more developed tracks, but also due to the fact that there is twice as much and more original ideas hidden in these 100 minutes in comparison to the 75 minutes OST. Whereas the latter qualifies as above-average Zimmer score, the former is just the Dune sound for me - meaning the deviation from Zimmer's usual style and paradigms is much higher.

I might be one of the few who lean towards the ost. A more consistent “listening experience”. But I still intend to make my custom edit of the score with the better parts of the sketchbook incorporated into my program. Just waiting to see the film (and also glean any nuggets from the Art/Soul album coming out). 

There has been some fantastic music written for this film. Just spread across the different releases. But I won’t fault the music for not having every track be a 5 star cue. Yes, Perhaps there’s no real ear worms (just sand worms;) And some might complain that we have to whittle all this music down ourselves. But I don’t mind the work. It’s kinda fun for me.

Neither album is great, but I bet that a decent fan album could be crafted with bits from both of the real ones. In fact, I think I'll try to do this if and when they ever release a second film. That way I can make a single semi-comprehensive album telling the full story of the book.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone thinking that The Art and Soul of Dune is the best now? I'd still vote for the Sketchbook, but I really enjoy the hell out of Art and Soul. I've always been liking the idea of a score composed for reading a book. That is exactly the point here, therefore everything, every theme is so stretched out time-wise.

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Anyone thinking that The Art and Soul of Dune is the best now?

No. Or at least I'm not. I've been dipping back into the sketchbook and there's a lot to like there even though the OST is my favorite. I LOVE Shortening of the Way.

I appreciate the idea of Art and Soul but I find it to have the droney-ness that people have accused the sketchbook and the OST of having that I don't hear. Maybe I need to revisit but I don't find anything that drew me to the other two.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Anyone thinking that The Art and Soul of Dune is the best now? I'd still vote for the Sketchbook, but I really enjoy the hell out of Art and Soul. 

Seriously? I found absolutely nothing to like there. Do I need to give it another listen? Are there any hidden highlights?

7 hours ago, paleo said:

Seriously? I found absolutely nothing to like there. Do I need to give it another listen? Are there any hidden highlights?

Go to bed and listen to it. That is the right situation to listen to it.

The sketchbook has really grown on me. I'm very fond of tracks like The Shortening of the Way and Moon Over Caladan. Would like to see some of this material be further developed in part II

47 minutes ago, Romão said:

The sketchbook has really grown on me. I'm very fond of tracks like The Shortening of the Way and Moon Over Caladan. Would like to see some of this material be further developed in part II

I was a bit disappointed that none of the action scenes from part I were using the music from Mind-Killer. It's abrasive and ruth as fuck, but much more original than Burning Palms for example.

I will say for as pointless as I found Art/Soul album to be, I dug the “Forward” track- I love that semi-Celtic House Atreides material. And that tune is super soothing. Some of the most beautiful Hans has written in a while. So I’ll take any iteration of that one (even a slowed down version .)

I did gain some appreciation for the actual film score but that works best as an integral of the film. And yes, it is the only place where it needs to work. As an album, however, it stands no chance against the sketchbook. 

Karol

I can't really say which one I prefer, though I am maybe leaning a bit towards the OST but both are great. However if I were to pick just 2 cues to represent Zimmer's Dune sound I would choose Paul's Dream and The Shortening of the Way, which are both from the Sketchbook.

I wish the melody that comes in after the "Ripples in the Sand moment" would be in the movie... maybe in Part 2!

Regarding Art & Soul of Dune, I listened to it today and as mood setting I enjoyed Foreword, This Is Only the Beginning, Caladan, Arrakis and Fremen, which are all rather soothing. I imagine it would work very well while reading the art book or the actual Dune book.