John Williams conducts the Chicago Symphony Ochestra June 9, 2022

Jay

CSO Special Concert
An Evening with John Williams
Jun 9, 2022

Legendary composer and conductor John Williams, whose iconic film scores have captured the hearts of millions of moviegoers over his 70-year career, leads the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in a program of beloved works for stage and screen.

This performance is part of the CSO’s 31st Annual Corporate Night, a fundraising event presented in partnership by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association the League and Overture Council of the CSOA. Proceeds benefit the Chicago Symphony Orchestra’s artistic, education and community engagement programs in Chicago and across the globe.

Venue - Symphony Center
Price Range - $79-$229
Schedule - Thursday, June 9, 2022 7:30 PM

Performers - Chicago Symphony Orchestra / John Williams Conductor

https://cso.org/performances/21-22/cso-specials/an-evening-with-john-williams/

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Or Indy 5 has been pushed back to the Fall / Winter 2022 release, but they haven't announced so yet

I believe he's taken on conducting gigs between stretches of session dates before, so could just be popping out to Chicago for a day or two.

Although, if Indy 5 is released on July 28, it's not impossible that the score will be fully recorded before June 9 anyway. Not every director asks for a zillion rewrites. (I know ... some do!)  

Jay, are you coming to Chicago? 

I imagine once he "pops out" to Chicago from LA, he'll fly directly to Italy from there to prepare for the Milan concert that's only 10 days after this one

I hope to make it to Chicago, but it doesn't seem likely.  We'll see!

Just now, Jay said:

I imagine once he "pops out" to Chicago from LA, he'll fly directly to Italy from there to prepare for the Milan concert that's only 10 days after this one

The same way he conducted Boston 12 days before the first Berlin concert – a domestic warm-up :) 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I hope to make it to Chicago, but it doesn't seem likely.  We'll see!

Or maybe he'll do a Film Night concert in Boston between Chicago and Italy?  He usually splits the Boston concerts with Keith Lockhart or another conductor, and it would cut down on the long-haul flight?  

Cool!

5 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

I believe he's taken on conducting gigs between stretches of session dates before, so could just be popping out to Chicago for a day or two.

Although, if Indy 5 is released on July 28, it's not impossible that the score will be fully recorded before June 9 anyway.

Exactly. Also, Indy 5 will be released on July 29.

9 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

Although, if Indy 5 is released on July 28, it's not impossible that the score will be fully recorded before June 9 anyway. Not every director asks for a zillion rewrites. (I know ... some do!)  

In the Eiger Sanction podcast, Mike mentioned "it's on track, schedule-wise, for that scoring to happen after returning from the Carnegie Hall concert."  Presumably he was referring to the scoring sessions, and not the writing, because that concert is April 21.

So assuming he can start writing Indy in January, that gives him about 4 months to finish before Carnegie Hall, leaving all May to record the score before heading to Chicago.

Maybe booking himself out for June is an intentional strategy to avoid another Rise of Skywalker-esque nightmare :lol:

Can Williams start writing it in January?  When will principal photography be over?  How long will it take between then and when Mangold has a cut ready he wants Williams to compose to?

And when will Williams write The Fabelmans score?  Is Spielberg even done shooting that?  When will its rough cut be ready?

I would bet on a Lincoln piece or two for this concert.  The full suite would be nice, but that seems like a low probability.  

Wow!! Very much hope I'll be able to see the maestro live for a second time. Tickets will surely be much harder to get this time, since he's only doing one concert rather than three. But I should be able to get something. And "Price Range - $79-$229" suggests that despite this being "Corporate Night," prices probably won't be too much higher than usual. 

I really want to go to that one. Since I first started to study trumpet, the Chicago symphony has always been a reference orchestra for me. Hearing this orchestra with Williams conducting would be amazing. 

• 1 month later...

I'll be there!  I had some pandemic credit built up from the original cancelled Jurassic Park concert, so I finally ponied up for the entire CSO at the Movies series, which then enabled me to buy tickets for the Williams show (while seeing JP and Return of the Jedi to boot).  I've never spent so much on tickets for anything at one pop before, but every accessible Williams show becomes more valuable with each passing year.