John Williams conducts the Chicago Symphony Orchestra March 24, 2023

Jay

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

RM: We should put on masks.

JW: Yes, we should.

RM: At least we shouldn't stand this close to each other.

JW: Indeed.

RM: And I guess I shouldn't be breathing right at you.

JW: True.

RM: We shouldn't touch hands either.

JW: Gotcha! I'm vaccinated.

At that time (January 2020) more likely to read:

RM: The Corona virus is a problem of the Chinaman. We Italians are immune because we were raised on olive oil and Amarone.

JW: In LA, no one ever seems to be really concerned about public health issues, not even in Chinatown. 

RM: Si, Obama-care, etc., etc.... So may I invite you to Chicago?

JW: That would indeed be a great honour and pleasure to stand once again in front of what is possibly the greatest orchestra in Northern America. You know, Steven and I did Lincoln there, a couple of years ago.

RM: But I have one condition...

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the condition? The suspense!

RM: You quit La Scala when I'm not invited to the 40th Anniversary of the Filarmonica in 2022.

JW: Riccardo, I can't do that.

RM: Allora, then it is up to you.

JW: I'll have to write a film score for Steve anyway, so I won't make it for the La Scala appointment.

RM: Good.

JW: I'll send my protégé instead. He's a master of disguise and no-one will notice a difference. He already did the VPO concerts for me.

RM: So that's why there were so many flubs and timing issues...

JW: Anyway, nice to greet you, Mr. Chailly.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

JW: I'll have to write a film score for Steve anyway, so I won't make it for the La Scala appointment.

RM: Good.

JW: I'll send my protégé instead. He's a master of disguise and no-one will notice a difference. He already did the VPO concerts for me.

RM: So that's why there were so many flubs and timing issues...

JW: Anyway, nice to greet you, Mr. Chailly.

RM: Nice meeting you, Maestro Morricone. I really enjoyed all these Italo-Westerns.

On 09/12/2021 at 8:11 AM, crumbs said:

I guess it depends what the actual conflict is. 

I remember he reduced conducting commitments while writing the final Star Wars, to conserve his energy for conducting the sessions. Maybe there's an element of that at play here.

That very well could be, especially if Episode IX wasn't  "the final Star Wars".  😉

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Rescheduled for March 24, 2023!!

https://cso.org/performances/22-23/cso-at-the-movies/an-evening-with-john-williams/

First scheduled event of his 92nd year on earth :)

Incredible. If this goes on, Williams will soon have concerts scheduled for 2024. 

To be honest I would be well pissed with all these changes that keep happening. If i would have bought a ticket. Mr williams and his people need to stop fucking around! Yep I will get my tin hat on!

I had forgotten that Muti announced he was leaving.  I just pray that the CSO hires an American to be the new music director.  Upon MTT's retirement from San Francisco, the LA Phil is the only American orchestra in the uppermost echelon with an American leading it.  I hope that the NYP does the same when van Zweden leaves.  Actually it seems the NYP is going hard to steal Dudamel.

51 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I had forgotten that Muti announced he was leaving.  I just pray that the CSO hires an American to be the new music director.  Upon MTT's retirement from San Francisco, the LA Phil is the only American orchestra in the uppermost echelon with an American leading it.  I hope that the NYP does the same when van Zweden leaves.  Actually it seems the NYP is going hard to steal Dudamel.

Marin Alsop?

23 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Marin Alsop?

I love Alsop and I mean no disrespect to her or the orchestra, but Baltimore is not "the uppermost echelon" of American orchestras.  It's the next tier, speaking strictly in terms of brutally honest social status here.

I mean, my favorite conductor of all time, Slatkin, only directed at 2nd tier American orchestras as well so I really don't mean disrespect.  I just want to see that top tier (again in terms of stupid social status) of American orchestras directed by great American conductors.

Ugh, brutal -- the original concert was scheduled for when I would be home from school, this one is scheduled right in the middle of second semester. :crymore:

Might be able to try to get home but it will be very difficult...

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's not spring break week?

Sadly, it appears spring break is March 13, 2023-March 17, 2023.

Still, I don't really think I can miss this -- JW probably won't be coming back to Chicago many more times after this. Will try my best to find a way to get home for the weekend, though will be difficult.

11 hours ago, Will said:

Ugh, brutal -- the original concert was scheduled for when I would be home from school, this one is scheduled right in the middle of second semester. :crymore:

Might be able to try to get home but it will be very difficult...

Do it Will! Years from now you’ll always remember seeing this concert, and you’ll never remember what you did that week in school. 

• 11 months later...

Inside of a month on this now.  Where's the program??  Williams recently mused about playing Helena's Theme here, but what else?

Don't know but here is something very cool that the Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago is doing that week in partnership with the CSO (whatever that means, they're not LTP)

Family Plot and Dracula are on my days off and I've never seen them hmmm

I would have loved to see CE3K and Superman in 35MM too :crymore:

13 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I would have loved to see CE3K and Superman in 35MM too :crymore:

I've always been curious about that.  What does 35MM offer that's different?  I sometimes go to classic film showings at a local theater (privately run ones, not Fathom Events, although I go to those, too), and I have no idea what format they use.  Honestly, I was pretty sure I heard the DVD menu music at a showing of It's a Wonderful Life some years ago.

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

What does 35MM offer that's different? 

It's the format in which those films were shot and first screened, so a 35mm projection is as close as you can get to the original viewing experience.

On 1/3/2023 at 1:11 PM, Ricard said:

It's the format in which those films were shot and first screened, so a 35mm projection is as close as you can get to the original viewing experience.

What does that mean practically, though? Is it mainly of historic interest, or is the difference perceptible to the eye in some way?

26 minutes ago, igger6 said:

is the difference perceptible to the eye in some way?

Well, 35mm is about nostalgia and authenticity. Me, I embraced digital projection in so far, as it can reproduce a 35mm origination adequately.

Yes, films shot on 35mm look differently and I miss the artefacts of analogue projection w/ digital distribution, which brings us back to ... nostalgia.

The meaning of all this: It's difficult to explain to someone who has not experienced 35mm exhibition and origination for the most part of life. ;)

Oh, gotcha.  I grew up before digital and remember that vividly, even the little cue marks in the upper-right corner that used to appear every now and then.  Digital has been dominant so long now that I kind of forgot about it!  It would be cool to see that again sometime.

In theory, a "perfectly" projected 35mm negative may look more authentic than a digital projection, which will never match the original image quite exactly. In practice though, it very much also depends on how the projector is set up and the quality of the used print. Before the big switch to digital, most local theatres (or at least those that show the original versions) often showed prints that were quite scratched even during the first screenings.

52 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

a digital projection, which will never match the original image quite exactly.

A perfect 4K or better scan perfectly projected, maybe even in HDR? I'm curious, why not?

5 hours ago, Holko said:

A perfect 4K or better scan perfectly projected, maybe even in HDR? I'm curious, why not?

You always have a digitisation step, so you lose *something*. Whether the loss is noticeable is a different question. In any case, to achieve an almost exact reproduction you need scanning equipment that is able to digitise the film material almost exactly and a projector that can reproduce the full data captured by the scan.

Making film copies also loses stuff, chances are it already lost quality even before the distribution copies with the reel change markers and extra grain, in editing with the effects and transitions. Tbh some of this sounds like the "vinyl is better because it's just better" argument to me.

34 minutes ago, Holko said:

Making film copies also loses stuff, chances are it already lost quality even before the distribution copies with the reel change markers and extra grain, in editing with the effects and transitions.

Certainly. And analogue projection damages the projected film. I'm just mentioning the theoretical/technical differences.

34 minutes ago, Holko said:

Tbh some of this sounds like the "vinyl is better because it's just better" argument to me.

To be fair, video is more complex than audio, because you get into stuff like colour spaces etc.

But I'm not saying the practical differences are more significant with film than they are with vinyl/digital audio (I honestly don't know).

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Steve said:

Finally a concert without "Marion's Theme". Now he just needs to get rid of "Throne Room" too 😅

Perhaps there are plans for a DG release?

I hope someone will record "Of Grit and Glory" so I can use it in my sixth and final Williams TV episode. Only have the audio rip now, complete with sound effects and dialogue. The episode has already been recorded, but I can tweak it last minute if a music-only recording suddenly surfaces. But I doubt this concert is being recorded in any form or fashion, right?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now let your servant die in peace, O God, for I have seen Your salvation!

Wow.  Let me count the ways.  Obi-Wan live.  Fawkes live.  Of Freakin' Grit and Flippin' Glory live!  Now just hit me with a wordless Dear Basketball encore and I'll spontaneously combust in the upper balcony of Symphony Center.

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

Is there a radio broadcast of this or were hoping for a mobile phone recording that doesn't sound too abyssimal?

I'll try to make my mobile phone recording sound as good as possible!

-Erik-

PS - I will not be recording any of this on my phone! I'll let some one else do it. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy my first ever John Williams conducted concert!