John Williams conducts the Chicago Symphony Orchestra March 24, 2023

Jay

Wait, if "The Duel" is listed above "Sabrina," and Robert Chen is credited below "Sabrina," is it possible that Chen's credit applies to both of those pieces, and we'll get the Mutter arrangement of "The Duel"?  This deal is (maybe) getting better all the time!

Also, have fun in Chicago, @Erik Woods!  My brother and I, who discovered Cinematic Sound thanks to your Tintin premiere and listened to your Williams 80th retrospective together back in 2012, are simultaneously starstruck that you'll be there and humbled that we're three Williams concerts ahead of you. :o  What a program to come in on.  Here's to many more!

I am happy to see that Far and Away is back to being regularly programed.  I heard him in Chicago years ago (2007 maybe) and he did it then--it is a fantastic and fun piece live.  He also did the Reivers, which was thrilling.  The hall has really good acoustics, which makes it all the better.  

I hope to hear a recording of Grit/Glory, but for those attending, let us know if the piece is revised/extended/etc. 

2 hours ago, wickerman said:

Single seats for Friday have just dropped on CSO website. Be quick or be dead. :P;)

Edit: Seem gone. Congrats to whoever got them!

Berlin 2.0

Just a random Gallery seat opened, which was lucky for me, the cheapest end of the scale 

Man, looking at that program, this will be my fourth JW concert and the first time seeing him conduct Jurassic Park :crymore: 

Not sure if you have been to Chicago, but the gallery overhangs fairly close up the the stage.  So, the view is really good and the acoustics are excellent.  

So great to hear it without the narration! And good to know Johnny considers it a concert piece that can be performed without the narration.  Bodes well for an official release…PLEASE

2 hours ago, Ricard said:

So much nicer without the narration

Meanwhile, I've been re-listening to the 2018 Star Wars "suite" with CSO and find much of it musically superior to any other version I've more recently been listening to.

It was unexpected that a John Williams concert that didn't list the Raiders March in its main program would have it performed as an encore?

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was unexpected that a John Williams concert that didn't list the Raiders March in its main program would have it performed as an encore?

:sarcasm: 

Yes, because we had seen a video earlier with what we assumed was all the pieces being performed and we only saw Yoda's Theme and The Imperial March as encores.  

-Erik-

On 25/3/2023 at 10:36 PM, crumbs said:

What a gorgeous photo!

Very moving testimony.

On 26/3/2023 at 7:50 PM, Tom said:

Funny the similiarity between these two pictures 15 years apart (and I believe the ablum cover is also from the CSO).

Screenshot_20230325_204757_com.instagram.android_edit_10819044616056.jpg

Music of America: John Williams / Various Artists (CD 3 DISCS SONY 2010) - Picture 1 of 1

That is pretty cool!

Was that audience laughter annoying to anyone attending? I don't get the urge to laugh - smile and be happy inside sure, but not laugh out loud while music is being performed? Or am I just being jealous and grumpy?

It was cute, especially for the encores when the excitement's up and nobody knows what they're gonna get. You hear the ones who know immediately and then once the trumpets started, it's a laugh of recognition. In the room it just feels like a release waiting for him to play more. Everybody was very respectful but John Williams concerts are always gonna have a little more Pops energy, it's totally fine. 

Encores are also different in that way, anyway. I remember seeing a pianist at Symphony Center and he came out for an encore and when he started playing the March from Love of Three Oranges there was a similar kind of affectionate laugh. 

Thanks for your thought!. I think I'm just comparing it to the London 1998 concerts I attended and other orchestral concerts. Apart from some evil people coughing, there was audience silence at the start of every piece (as far as I can remember)... And I remember watching performance of Jaws that started with audience laughter. I never got that! And I'm prone to the same laughing and yelling at other concerts - Queen for example!

15 minutes ago, pete said:

Thanks for your thought!. I think I'm just comparing it to the London 1998 concerts I attended and other orchestral concerts. Apart from some evil people coughing, there was audience silence at the start of every piece (as far as I can remember)... And I remember watching performance of Jaws that started with audience laughter. I never got that! And I'm prone to the same laughing and yelling at other concerts - Queen for example!

I think there is a "little" leeway for pops concerts. They are a little more... fun... for the lack of a better word! 

-Erik-

14 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

I think there is a "little" leeway for pops concerts. They are a little more... fun... for the lack of a better word! 

-Erik-

Yes, not only that, people are so genuinely jazzed and excited that it is difficult to stay reserved and stolid.  It is a testament to Williams's influence on the audience.  

• 8 months later...

I just realized this might have been the very last performance fully conducted by John - as ever since Chicago he's went back to his usual pattern of conducting only 2nd part of the show - which is totally understandable considering he will be 92 shortly!