When does Williams start working on Indiana Jones 5?

crumbs

I am of the opinion that Williams has already starting scoring.  I think he read the script in part to begin sketching themes to expedite the scoring upon seeing the cut.  

Could it be possible that Williams wrote some materials before seeing the first cut, based on the script or the previz?

If Mangold already have some kind of cut made with the previz, one could consider that Williams might have already start to develop the general main theme of the movie

I'm purely speculating though

This is a great question that we can only speculate about.

I do think that since Fabelmans has already wrapped shooting and Indy 5 is still shooting for 2 more months, JW will do Fabelmans first, then Indy 5.

So if he sits down with Spielberg to watch a rough cut of The Fabelmans this month, October of 2021, and composes the score from then through the holidays or so, the whole score could be recorded in January.  Then he sees an Indy 5 rough cut in January or February 2022, and begins composing cues at his house from then until Carnegie Hall in April.  Then maybe a bunch of recording sessions throughout May, before he leaves for his 2 big concerts, then records revisions, inserts, and pickups in late June or early July before the film opens in late July?

Something like that?

6 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Could it be possible that Williams wrote some materials before seeing the first cut, based on the script or the previz?

If Mangold already have some kind of cut made with the previz, one could consider that Williams might have already start to develop the general main theme of the movie

I'm purely speculating though

Hmmm, that's an interesting point, it's kinda possible a composer could begin crafting a score to the previz like that, sure.  Something tells me Williams isn't a guy who wants to work like that though, and wants to see the actor's performances and scope of the location shooting to influence his work.

There's no reason he couldn't be fed completed scenes to score, if the editor is assembling the film while production is ongoing.

That would explain why he read the script in advance (for context of where these scenes fit into the overall story).

Didn't he score WOTW that way? Just individual scenes as they were ready. 

Yea, interesting ideas.  It'd be great if Mangold talks about the scoring process eventually, or we get a scoring featurette on the BD

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yea, interesting ideas.  It'd be great if Mangold talks about the scoring process eventually, or we get a scoring featurette on the BD

Of that, I have no doubt. I’d be disappointed if there wasn’t a featurette, but the likely hood is that there will be.

I think any new methods that give him time to write before the final edit would be welcome by him. Afte what happened on TROS he might have asked to see the previz while assuming it won't be too far from the final cut

Maybe.

I think it all depends on if he is doing Fabelmans first or Indy 5 first.  We know he doesn't like to do two projects at once

Mangold seems excited to work with him so I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss their collaboration. 

I'm more curious about how involved Spielberg will be in the scoring process. Clearly he was intimately involved in the scoring of the first four films. Will be hand off all involvement to Mangold, even feedback on JW's sketches and new themes? 

Maybe its time for one of JWFan's classic "Dual-Scoring" announcements about Fablemans and Indy.  Williams writes some interchangeable cues and the directors plug them in as necessary.  

It's all Spielberg's fault!

He keeps scheduling new movies that clash with Williams' other projects. It's uncanny how often it happens. 

Would prefer some clear air between the two scores but what can ya do? 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

There's no reason he couldn't be fed completed scenes to score, if the editor is assembling the film while production is ongoing.

Those "Reel 0" cues for TROS and (especially) TLJ seem to indicate he scored some scenes before a complete cut of the film was assembled.

6 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Those "Reel 0" cues for (...) TLJ seem to indicate he scored some scenes before a complete cut of the film was assembled.

And the complete Fathiers sequence "deleted scene" definitely proves he scored that entire setpiece when it was still in a previs+rough footage assembly state, and seemingly didn't go back to it later even when it was edited down?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

And the complete Fathiers sequence "deleted scene" definitely proves he scored that entire setpiece when it was still in a previs+rough footage assembly state, and seemingly didn't go back to it later even when it was edited down?

Oooh, good point!

8 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

He just said in concert that he will be starting writing the music for the new Indiana Jones in 1-2 weeks 😁

Wow!  Great scoop!

@Ricard

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Funny that with this thread, none of us speculated that Williams himself would answer the question.  

It's hard to count on him giving news in his concert addresses but I'm not surprised when he does either. I didn't expect he'd get going on Indy before it seems like they've wrapped, though. Unless this means they're close and then he'll meet with Mangold right away.

I suppose if they're cutting as they go they have at least a few sequences he can start on which happened with Force Awakens, I think? Seem to remember that was like the first time he'd just been shown a portion of a movie first instead of the whole thing. Obviously if Mangold's got more ready for him then so much the better.  

4 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

He also joked about the fact that we will still have to wait until next summer to hear it

Can wait for that but so glad that it's coming so fast

So it's not delayed yet?  (not that Disney has has a big track record of doing that)

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Funny that with this thread, none of us speculated that Williams himself would answer the question.  

And 30 minutes after the thread was posted!

Awesome news to wake up to!

Could be a hybrid TFA/WOTW schedule, with Williams scoring isolated sequences and (maybe) recording in blocks across the first half of 2022. Imagine if he has a scoring session by January!

This probably explains why he read the script in advance and Mangold said he was, "ready to go" a few months back. To think he's probably been plotting out themes and ideas for the score for months already... :wub:

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

I suppose if they're cutting as they go they have at least a few sequences he can start on which happened with Force Awakens, I think? Seem to remember that was like the first time he'd just been shown a portion of a movie first instead of the whole thing. Obviously if Mangold's got more ready for him then so much the better.  

Mangold's editor said he stays within a day or two of dailies, assembling the film during production. I think that's standard on modern blockbusters, because ILM need completed sequences before they can start the VFX work.

They also had the big hiatus when Ford was injured. Mangold probably used that time to polish what was already shot. They could just send Williams the two big sequences shot back in June/July:

Spoiler
  • The Nazi Germany flashback at the castle/on the steam train
  • The big 1969 Apollo parade chase sequence

That should carry him through most of November.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Tintin was done that way, and War of the Worlds before that 

Yeah I just checked the WOTW featurette and Colin Wilson mentions that post-production started six weeks into filming, when they sent Williams sequences to start scoring. Must have been right after he finished ROTS in February.

Fun piece of trivia caused by the delay: both Star Wars and Indiana Jones will now have the exact same interval between their first and last scores: 42 years!

(1977-2019 and 1981-2023 respectively).

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Fun piece of trivia caused by the delay: both Star Wars and Indiana Jones will now have the exact same interval between their first and last scores: 42 years!

(1977-2019 and 1981-2023 respectively).

“Coincidence? I think NOT!”

Indiana Jones 5 is the final installment in the Indy Saga.

This may have little impact on the scoring timeline.  Everyone working on the movie will need to be paid more if time is added to post-production (which Disney will not want).  Stick with the current production schedule and release it in 23.  

6 hours ago, Damien F said:

JW mentioned on Thursday that the movie will be out by next Summer so either he wasn't aware of this date change or the decision was only made in the last few days.

With the release date being June 30, 2023, technically, Maestro John Williams was right when he said, "you’ll still have to wait until next summer to hear it." Next summer refers to 2023. We are currently in the Fall season; if one were to say, "this summer," one would be referring to the upcoming summer of 2022. You'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise, though.