Jump to content

Williams speciality releases repressed with revisions to correct issues


JTWfan77
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Eiger Sanction's first pressing had an index incorrectly placed on disc 2 that was fixed on later pressings (and they offered free replacement discs to anyone who bought the first pressing)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/10/2021 at 3:23 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (LLL):

 

Some tracks have tailed off high frequencies due to master issues - corrected on later pressings

 

Schindler's List (LLL):

 

Some tracks have tailed off high frequencies due to master issues - corrected on later pressings

 

Never heard of these high frequencies issues before. How can I find out which version I have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, E-Wan said:

 

Never heard of these high frequencies issues before. How can I find out which version I have?

That's what I'd like to know.

 

@anyone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The initial pressings of Azkaban look like this

 

image.png

 

The fixed pressing looks like this

 

image.png

 

 

I'd expect something similar for Schindler

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can understand the issues with PoA not getting picked up, since there really does seem to be no way to hear it. SL, though… It doesn’t sound good to me. Very audibly compressed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

SL, though… It doesn’t sound good to me. Very audibly compressed. 

 

Yes, this is really the one for which they need to offer replacements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the HP boxset, we had corrected FLAC files available for the users of this forum and made by MM himself.

 

Happy to be a member of JWfan!

 

For Schindler's List, I'm less concerned, but I would be happy to get the lossless files too.

 

It remembers me that my CD collection will worth nothing in few years.

 

Thanks for that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

For the HP boxset, we had corrected FLAC files available for the users of this forum and made by MM himself.

 

So how would these files currently be found for those of us that were aware of the issue but unaware of the corrected files existing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't realise Prisoner of Azkaban and Schindler's List had corrected pressings - any idea if La-La Land Records can still send out replacements for those of us who purchased the initial releases?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They don't have "real" issues. It's just kind of mental illness shared by some members of this forum.

 

After all, we just want all the frequencies for all the money we spend!

 

Remember that many people on this form only listen to LPs and they think they have a better sound...

 

Enjoy the music...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Quppa said:

I didn't realise Prisoner of Azkaban and Schindler's List had corrected pressings - any idea if La-La Land Records can still send out replacements for those of us who purchased the initial releases?

 

LLL has never sent out replacement discs for either of these albums, at least not yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Turbo said:

So how would these files currently be found for those of us that were aware of the issue but unaware of the corrected files existing?

 

Check your inbox. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that he wrote that in an ironic way...like that's what the label managers think about these issues...

 

And I think he was including himself in the group, anyway...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Check your inbox. ;)

 

May I please check mine too? :)

 

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think that he wrote that in an ironic way...like that's what the label managers think about these issues...

They think we're all psychos, especially MV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote
Quote

 

Dear MV

Do you still have any Jurassic Park booklets available with dentures?

Are you able to provide replacements for the 2nd disc of Schindler's List that had sound issues on the 1st pressing?

Many thanks

 

 

No

 

And I don't recall any issues

 

MV

 

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

 

Check your inbox. ;)

 

Any chance for my inbox to get any similar surprise by any chance please? :music::blush2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well MV can think what he wants, but there sure seems to be a demand for these tracks on this forum at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

And I don't recall any issues

 

MV

 

What a joke. Should we tell him everything then?

 

Probably not worth it, he's gonna ignore it anyway, like our emails, I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eh, I have the corrected tracks now and I've revised my edits of both scores accordingly. Feels like a pretty happy ending, all things considered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Eh, I have the corrected tracks now and I've revised my edits of both scores accordingly. Feels like a pretty happy ending, all things considered.

 

Yeah I guess, but I'd just prefer them saying "No we can't replace your discs" instead of completely ignoring it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Find a hairstyle that suits your face shape. | Hair gif, Giphy, Crazy hair

 

"When I pay for an expanded release,

I pay for the frequencies I CAN hear AND for those I CAN'T.

Isn't that the principle of LOSSLESS? "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wasn't there some issue with the War of the Worlds expansion - either that one of the discs were scratched or that the last track was difficult to rip?

 

Yeah someone said they were having difficulty over at FSM. My discs ripped ok though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

Well MV can think what he wants, but there sure seems to be a demand for these tracks on this forum at least.

 

I like MV's refreshing honesty with these matters, as it's pretty clear what he thinks.

 

I don't mean to excuse the labels from any and all mistakes, but can you imagine toiling away at releases, only to have a fan forum demand you spend precious funds re-pressing some CDs because somewhere along the line, a producer used elements that happened to lack frequencies that no one can hear?

 

I had trouble ripping one track from Intrada's Alive (had a gap in the middle of it), then I just tried a different ripper program; problem solved. I swear that's criteria for someone, somewhere to demand a repressing, because they imagine it must indicate a flaw in the disc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

a producer used elements that happened to lack frequencies that no one can hear?

 

Again, the problem is that we can hear those defects on Schindler's List.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listening to music is overrated, now we watch the spectrum of the WAVs instead.

 

So many beautiful colors!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s difficult to describe how defects sound, but, to me, there’s this “swishy” quality to it. Almost reminds me of the sound of running water a bit. Maybe someone can describe this better… I can certainly hear it in the first pressing, and I certainly cannot hear it in the revised tracks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

 

I like MV's refreshing honesty with these matters, as it's pretty clear what he thinks.

 

I don't mean to excuse the labels from any and all mistakes, but can you imagine toiling away at releases, only to have a fan forum demand you spend precious funds re-pressing some CDs because somewhere along the line, a producer used elements that happened to lack frequencies that no one can hear?

 

Audio-CDs need to fulfill certain requirements. Cutting off some frequencies which are supposed to be there (and by the way, are audible indeed) makes them not audio-CDs.

 

 

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

 

I had trouble ripping one track from Intrada's Alive (had a gap in the middle of it), then I just tried a different ripper program; problem solved. I swear that's criteria for someone, somewhere to demand a repressing, because they imagine it must indicate a flaw in the disc.

 

Not being able to rip a CD is not a prove of a defect of a CD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bah, schinders list is going to have a more complete release in the future….so lets hope they do it correctly next time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Audio-CDs need to fulfill certain requirements. Cutting off some frequencies which are supposed to be there (and by the way, are audible indeed) makes them not audio-CDs.

 

The audio CD format only specifies the maximum frequency possible. You can cut off the frequencies at 10kHz and still call it an audio CD (as they did for the RotJ SE...).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/10/2021 at 10:30 PM, Jay said:

The initial pressings of Azkaban look like this

 

image.png

 

The fixed pressing looks like this

 

image.png

 

 

I'd expect something similar for Schindler

 

 

 

So it's just the first 15 minutes of CD 1 that's affected then, unless I'm missing something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.