2021 JWFan Composition Competition!

Jurassic Shark

Fellow JWFans, it's time for our second annual composition competition! As earlier, it's open for everyone; learned and novices. No fancy samples are needed if you don't have or want to bother with that - a midi playback is OK, or you could record your own performance. People can post their entries here when they're ready, and on 1 December I'll make a poll with each entry. So we've got a little more than a month to come up with something interesting.

The rules are as follows:

1. The piece has to be a fanfare, with a duration of minimum 20 seconds and maximum 2 minutes.
  2. The piece may be for whatever ensemble you like, or for whatever solo instrument you like.
  3. Submitting compositions already made before the announcement of the competition is not OK. However, your basic ideas may have originated earlier.
  4. The deadline is 1 December (at 23:59).

Let the composing begin!

UPDATE: The deadline for submission is extended by two weeks, making the new deadline at 23:59 on 15 December.

On 22/10/2021 at 1:29 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Paging ...@Glóin the Dark

Can't say for certain! My impulses to play around on the online sequencer are rather sporadic, and largely dependent on whether there's something very important that I need to procrastinate about.... 

On 22/10/2021 at 8:29 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody else who's thinking about joining the competition?

Paging @Grace Under Pressure, @SteveMc, @Glóin the Dark, @MrJosh, @KK@Manakin Skywalker, and @Bounty95.

I'm pretty swamped with work for the next few weeks, but I'll try and put something together if time allows!

While you are here doing your nonsense, I have a serious question:
What exactly is meant by fanfare?
So really just brass or generally a solemn piece for full orchestra?
I think I'm taking this waaay too seriously....

On 19/10/2021 at 10:35 PM, Jurassic Shark said:
  • The piece has to be a fanfare, with a duration of minimum 20 seconds and maximum 2 minutes.
  • The piece may be for whatever ensemble you like, or for whatever solo instrument you like.

Since a "fanfare" is not a clearly defined term, it's open for interpretation.

I'm writing a piece for the piano.

10 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Serious is good. You might want to check out last year's competition.

I played around with different variants and will probably end up as well with something on the piano.

Probably some kind of march to make it sound more like a fanfare.

Otherwise I am not too good at playing five voice piano fugues. So, my skills are quite limited in the required regard.

54 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I played around with different variants and will probably end up as well with something on the piano.

Probably some kind of march to make it sound more like a fanfare.

Otherwise I am not too good at playing five voice piano fugues. So, my skills are quite limited in the required regard.

You don't have to be able to play it - you can save your work as a wave-file in your notation software.

So where does one deposit their opus?

22 hours ago, Michael G. said:

While you are here doing your nonsense, I have a serious question:
What exactly is meant by fanfare?
So really just brass or generally a solemn piece for full orchestra?

It's a short celebratory piece composed for a specific event, like a coronation

On 31/10/2021 at 10:51 PM, bruce marshall said:

Nice piece. FYI the deadline isn't before 1 December, so if you want to develop it further there's time for it.

Yesterday I finished... something. So, If I don't manage to write something proper until the end of the Month, I have... something. 

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Revised my Oafus.

I got a notification about this on my phone and could even listen to it. Very nice, and much better than the initial version, where I expected every moment the wedding march to start. This now is a round thing, nicely solemn and ceremonial.

This fanfare thing is really interesting. I am looking forward to all the contributions.

On 14/11/2021 at 3:10 AM, GerateWohl said:

Probably I will not rework it before the nd of the Month.

So, here it is, my fanfare for brass quintett:

I structured it as far as I could. Part I like, the main theme for example. Parts would require clean-up or more structure. 

But I am no pro and it is the first time that I did something like this.

Therefore I am a little proud. :)

But sure, I know, I could have done more.

hey! this reminds me of something i'd hear in the Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis video game soundtrack.  sweet.

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

I don't know that one, but I guess, there could be worse comparisons. :)

i did not mean anything bad by it, i promise.  it was the first thing that came into my head. 

but it IS a good thing to be compared to.  it's a terrific video game score.

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

hey! this reminds me of something i'd hear in the Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis video game soundtrack.  sweet.

I love that game! Good times. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's just... I am ready and I am waiting for the pieces of the others and the discussions round it.

And I knew the timelinie and managed my time accordingly.

But, yes, we are no professionals, so time estimation might be hard. I understand.

But I am really looking forward to this. So, I am not embracing time shiftings.

So, with more time I might have approached this differently from the start.

Anyway. Maybe I should see it more positively. So, now I can use the additional time to disfigure my piece by making unnecessary adjustments and additions. :)

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

Anyway. Maybe I should see it more positively. So, now I can use the additional time to disfigure my piece by making unnecessary adjustments and additions. :)

That's exactly the reason for the extended deadline. :D