2021 JWFan Composition Competition!

Jurassic Shark

Nice idea, but I think such a condition could become counterproductive for some, as people's compositional processes probably differ widely. For example, I haven't started typing mine into Sibelius yet. :)

So hello guys, I'm kind of done now.
Actually I planned it differently, but now a very short, exactly 20-seconds long piece came out. Sounds more like a movie studio fanfare. I wanted to make a few improvements, but that doesn't fit anymore or is too elaborate. so here is a somewhat improvised or haphazard piece.

Creativity needs boundaries.

Like delivery dates.

4 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

That is a sound!

And there am I with my fart trumpets. :sarcasm:

I thought of a studio fanfare as well when I heard it. Very nice.

18 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

I have finished my fanfare, posted below. 

It is scored for brass and percussion sections, and with bassoons & contrabassoon as well, though when all is said and done, they are very much just covered up by the brass and only their essence can be detected. 

It's a short fanfare, followed by 3 statements of a theme/melody, ending with fanfare. 

Funny story...only when I was just about done putting it together did it occur to me that the 1st four notes of the melody (1st appearance is at 0:22), shares the same 1st four notes of the Jurassic Park theme...so...whoopsie.

Wow! I see some kind of 60s Western TV show opening credits before my inner eye listening to that. Great.

5 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I have finished my fanfare, posted below. 

It is scored for brass and percussion sections, and with bassoons & contrabassoon as well, though when all is said and done, they are very much just covered up by the brass and only their essence can be detected. 

It's a short fanfare, followed by 3 statements of a theme/melody, ending with fanfare. 

Funny story...only when I was just about done putting it together did it occur to me that the 1st four notes of the melody (1st appearance is at 0:22), shares the same 1st four notes of the Jurassic Park theme...so...whoopsie.

Fantastic! But unfortunately points will need to be deducted for not calling it "JWFanfare" ;)

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Fantastic! But unfortunately points will need to be deducted for not calling it "JWFanfare" ;)

I almost did! Or JWFan FanfareFan Fanfare.

• 3 weeks later...

I was writing a Rondo for Piano, but it is far from prime time.

But I also have a short little something for clarinet in mind, so let's see if i can get it done in time.

EDIT: oh shoot, stupid me, just saw the rules, has to be a fanfare!

:lol:

5 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

But I also have a short little something for clarinet in mind, so let's see if i can get it done in time.

So, you just have to play your clarinet pieces a little bit more enthusiastic. :)

1 hour ago, SteveMc said:

Screenshot_2020-07-06-21-06-33~2.png

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

And you can replace the clarinet by an unisono brass orchestra with a mouse click.

That's progress.

I wrote and PERFORMED my own piece!

I'm a ' real' composer.

😎

6 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I wrote and PERFORMED my own piece!

I'm a ' real' composer.

😎

I agree. That should be definitely considered in the vote.

I would have performed mine, too, if I only could play a brass quintet myself.

The decision for the fanfare genre led me to the dark muddy path of synthetic music programming.

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

I agree. That should be definitely considered in the vote.

I would have performed mine, too, if I only could play a brass quintet myself.

The decision for the fanfare genre led me to the dark muddy path of synthetic music programming.

I was half- joking.

But, I am  old fashioned in that I feel a composer should have SOME ability to play an instrument.

Im pretty loose though.

Wagner and Berlioz weren't skilled instrumentalists.

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I was half- joking.

But, I am  old fashioned in that I feel a composer should have SOME ability to play an instrument.

Im pretty loose though.

Wagner and Berlioz weren't skilled instrumentalists.

I agree even though I am not a skilled instrumentalist.

My son recently asked, if he could use my notation software and I was quite hesitant to allow that because he refused practicing the piano when he still had lessons and gave up soon.

But in the end I hope that this might motivate him to step in again. But probably this will promote the opposite.

On 14/11/2021 at 1:10 AM, GerateWohl said:

Probably I will not rework it before the nd of the Month.

So, here it is, my fanfare for brass quintett:

I structured it as far as I could. Part I like, the main theme for example. Parts would require clean-up or more structure. 

But I am no pro and it is the first time that I did something like this.

Therefore I am a little proud. :)

But sure, I know, I could have done more.

I really like the horn part (french horn), it sounds like it would be fun to play. I also like how the horn changes down that half-step at the very end. Made me smile :)

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There was a COLUMBO episode that used your title:

Murder With Too Many Notes

10 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I really like the horn part (french horn), it sounds like it would be fun to play. I also like how the horn changes down that half-step at the very end. Made me smile :)

Thank you very much. :) Fortunately, the french horn sound in this collection is very ok, tuba bearable. Trumpet and trombone are terrible. But I hope it shows the idea. The horn saves it in a way.

@MrJosh Your piece is marvellous. One can really hear, that it was composed by a John Williams fan.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This reminds me of something, I like. I will try to find out what. :)

4 hours ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Without judgement, this sounds to me like a solid Hans Zimmer fanfare.