Why don't you participate more?

Turbo

Why don't you participate more?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Why don't you participate in this forum more?

• I hate any form of typing after work
    • I'd rather eat and binge watch [insert 5+ season TV show here]
    • I already participate a lot
    • Life away from the interwebs is much more important
    • I dunno
    • Other

After my last post, I realized I haven't participated here much in years aside from going over the chronological order of scores.

I thought about it and wondered why.  After all I've been here for 13 years, only posting an average of 16 times a year.  I was curious why other people may not post so much and figured this would be a good start.  I'm hoping this doesn't turn into bashing other people but instead start a conversation.

Part of the reason I don't post much is I consider myself a thread killer.  I tend to find things interesting that others don't and vice versa.  When I have posted about them, in varying forums, that tends to be where things end.  I do love music but don't enjoy discussing the nuances of unknowns whether that refers to releases, chords/instruments used, etc.  I appreciate knowing why things are how they are, some background and when it is clear.

I guess I'm ultimately saying, I do enjoy being a lurker and learning a lot.  Maybe it just takes more energy than I have to engage in ongoing chats.  For now, that sounds like a good reason why I don't participate more so I'll stick with that.

What would it take for you to participate more?

I have noticed over the last couple of years that I alternate between periods of frequent posting and hardly posting at all for weeks at a time.  I can’t really explain it and haven’t really noticed a pattern.  My interest waxes and wanes I guess.

2 hours ago, Turbo said:

I guess I'm ultimately saying, I do enjoy being a lurker and learning a lot.  Maybe it just takes more energy than I have to engage in ongoing chats.  For now, that sounds like a good reason why I don't participate more so I'll stick with that.

Lurker? That's me. If I participated more (as I am right now), my posts would approach 100% vacuous "great stuff, give us more" and "I adore Star Wars." It's my understanding that this board is already fairly saturated with the latter :)

2 hours ago, Turbo said:

What would it take for you to participate more?

It would require that I develop something useful to contribute. Reading lists of reel numbers makes my head spin, and I don't actually have the appetite to analyze JW things that I haven't already listened to before.

For me it is simple as well.

I have hardly any knowledge on the topics, just a few oppinions, and that is what I am sharing.

More than enough, I would say.

And of course I will participate in Sharky's composition competition. :)

I heartily agree that life away from the www is more important than ever. Also, in the last 10 years there was an exodus of posters interested in a broad range of cultural and musical topics, now it's daunting to find life beyond shipping updates, blockbuster anticipation and the ever-same celebrations of the same 10 scores from the past.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I have noticed over the last couple of years that I alternate between periods of frequent posting and hardly posting at all for weeks at a time.  I can’t really explain it and haven’t really noticed a pattern.  My interest waxes and wanes I guess.

I guess you're busy reading about Copland. :)

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why don't I post, more? Simple: it cuts into my drinking time :)

So you've realized that drinking and posting don't go well together... ;) 

I just briefly considered explaining why I don't really post anymore on this forum. But then I thought nah, fuck it. I guess I'm just too lazy to form my thoughts into words.

I mainly post in the movie threads in General Discussion, since the Williams forum is now dedicated exclusively to discussing concerts in Europe and America that I can't afford to go because I'm poor and live in a third world hellhole which Williams will NEVER set his foots on. 

i've taken numerous breaks from this forum as well, (actually costing me some expansions, looking at you JAWS (2CD) :unsure:.

I think one thing that might limit any of my participation is the fact that i know little to nothing about musical theory, notes, ect ect.  so my contribution to those threads can simply only be "i like that part" or "i don't like that part".   Heck, there was a 'String Triplet' topic that I posted an example of, and I'm still not sure if it was correct.

But my love for JW's music is enough to keep me posting here, and there is quite simply still A LOT of quality posters here, that I do look forward to what they have to write.

Oh and the obvious fact as to why I keep coming here.....it's the only place in the world I can talk about this music and also make Stepmom jokes to jurassic shark (even though I actually like that score)

I love having the "quality posters" you refer to that add a lot of great information and insight to JW's music and methods, but I also used to love the "hang out" atmosphere that I must admit is not as prevalent as it once was...

I don't participate much because the majority of my intended posts are begun, then interrupted, then postponed and then eventually forgotten and abandoned.

(That and the fact that around half the threads I regularly checked are now illegal...)

Maybe a hint to those who regret that the subject of the discussions here is either not to their liking or under their intellectual level.

Anybody here is free to trigger a discussion or conversation in any depth on any subject that doesn't violate the forum rules. So feel free.

Otherwise it is a little bit like complaining that you never win the lottery even though you're never playing.

I still read the board a lot, but I only really visit a handful of threads these days.

I don’t listen to film music much anymore, particularly new music, so my interest in the broad range of topics has declined gradually with time.

Also a lot of the posters I used to enjoy bantering with just aren’t here anymore. 

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Maybe a hint to those who regret that the subject of the discussions here is either not to their liking or under their intellectual level.

Surely you mean above their intellectual level.  I've mostly seen people in this thread saying they feel like they aren't knowledgeable enough to contribute.

6 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Anybody here is free to trigger a discussion or conversation in any depth on any subject that doesn't violate the forum rules. So feel free.

Otherwise it is a little bit like complaining that you never win the lottery even though you're never playing.

I was only referring to the forum rules.

I also do frequently complain about never winning the lottery. I'm playing it in spirit, which should be enough...

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've mostly seen people in this thread saying they feel like they aren't knowledgeable enough to contribute.

...unless, of course, you're Bruce Marshall :lol:

I see this lack of knowledge as a strength. People come in here with a head full of mush, and they leave thinking like a JW fan.

I hope the people who left after the new rules dropped come back!

Richard came back, Quint came back and changed his profile image then left again, now we just need him, Justin and Drax to come back permanently

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I hope the people who left after the new rules dropped come back!

Richard came back, Quint came back and changed his profile image then left again, now we just need him, Justin and Drax to come back permanently

They won't be able to resist complaining about Indiana Jones 

I don't see it happening because they were only interested in discussing topics that are no longer allowed. 

I'm not sure what you mean.  Political topics were already not allowed before the new rules dropped.  What new topics are not allowed now, that were allowed before?

14 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I don't see it happening because they were only interested in discussing topics that are no longer allowed. 

Exactly. These people stated again and again that they no longer cared about discussing film scores, movies, TV shows, etc., they just want to spread their right-wing propaganda, conspiracy theories and whine because you can't treat women, LGBTs and non-Caucasian people poorly anymore. 

Drax also loved talking about his own dick. 

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not sure what you mean.  Political topics were already not allowed before the new rules dropped.  What new topics are not allowed now, that were allowed before?

they mean that political topics may have been 'banned' at the time, but were rarely enforced, only until a thread got way out of hand.  now with these more enforced rules, those discussions don't even have a chance to get started.

Yeah, that there was a major reason for why I pretty much had dropped off for a good bit. Even when those things weren't in focus, I just didn't find it a particularly appealing environment with them around much of the time. And yet the energy could be appealing in very specific small bursts, so I suppose I could see why Jay wishes they could reform (which probably should be an attitude more people have in general).

I can only echo what others have said about feeling like I'm not proficient enough in my words to get across what I want to talk about. Though a greater issue for me is that I'm too depressed to really want to push myself to engage in more media or learn about key subjects of interest. As such, I kind of exist in this limbo where I know what I should fix, but essentially just refuse to shift even slightly. It's going to take a while, but I do have hope I can manage myself better.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

You act as if JWFan didn't become more strict since the new rules, Jay. Threads about COVID, politcs and even climate were all locked without mercy and you threw away the key. Remember, a more strict regulation is exactly why Drax & Co left. Perhaps these topics were never allowed at JWFan, but we did discuss them. 

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

What new topics are not allowed now, that were allowed before?

C****-19?

11 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

...political topics may have been 'banned' at the time, but were rarely enforced...

Political discussion was essentially non-existent for a long time while Drax and E.T. and Elliot were posting frequently. If that's a deal-breaker for them now, it's because their own interests have changed.

I didn't like when threads devolved into cliched political talking points, I did like the looser feel of conversations before they became all culture war nonsense.

I agree that the forum is more strict right now, and that can hurt some discussions (like everything involving JK Rowling, Gina Carano or anyone who got "cancelled").

But if that's the price we gotta pay to keep Drax and co. away, fine by me! These people actively made the forum less welcoming and inclusive because they were so confrontational all the time.

9 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Political discussion was essentially non-existent for a long time while Drax and E.T. and Elliot were posting frequently. If that's a deal-breaker for them now, it's because their own interests have changed.

Weren't these two permanently banned?

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Weren't these two permanently banned?

Nope

AFAIK they've simply chosen not to post for a bit

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nope

AFAIK they've simply chosen not to post for a bit

Oh. But wasn't two posters permanently banned? I'm guessing one of them was Lee.

I post a great deal less than when i was younger and unmarried, and when i truly liked star wars. I was a passionated star wars prequels defendant…. And that took a lot of posts. I also had more time to make edits and custom covers and talk about them, wi rarely do any of those now…

Thats growing up i suppose

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm guessing one of them was Lee.

Obviously not, since I just said

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Quint came back and changed his profile image then left again

and

1 hour ago, Jay said:

now we just need him, Justin and Drax to come back permanently