Why don't you participate more?

Turbo

Why don't you participate more?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Why don't you participate in this forum more?

• I hate any form of typing after work
    • I'd rather eat and binge watch [insert 5+ season TV show here]
    • I already participate a lot
    • Life away from the interwebs is much more important
    • I dunno
    • Other

On 20/10/2021 at 9:39 AM, publicist said:

I heartily agree that life away from the www is more important than ever. Also, in the last 10 years there was an exodus of posters interested in a broad range of cultural and musical topics, now it's daunting to find life beyond shipping updates, blockbuster anticipation and the ever-same celebrations of the same 10 scores from the past.

I guess I prefer to talk about those other things elsewhere. Online or in person.

But hilariously, after my time off here, and the people leaving, and the endless name changes, and the new posters, I don't know who anybody is? I read a thread it's like who are you people. I remember KK and publicist and such. My real time of posting here was what, ten years ago? Anf probably for unhealthy reasons

I've lost my interest in beginning new threads here.  Mostly just come here to check on upcoming expansions and talk a little Indy 5....and catch myself hopping in other topics.

I take months and sometimes yearly breaks from here, not on purpose, just lose interest.  I think I might be doing that again honestly. I want to begin to stay spoiler free on Indy 5 now that more stuff is coming out.  Going to be tough to not want to click on that thread.  So not visiting altogether might be good lol

3 hours ago, KittBash said:

You know this place has been a daily stop for me since before it was even JWfan [The Episode One the Music days] and I probably have one of the lowest post counts for a regular visitor that's been here so often since those early days. 

I've always loved this place and the many many characters who have come and gone over the years. We have members' here that have great insight and selflessly share their knowledge with the community and to those folks I say thank you... it's because of you I don't intend to stop coming back anytime soon! 

That said, there are indeed a few reasons I find I don't post most days.

1. I've been here so long that I know the prolific posters that I already agree with will be by in just a few minutes and their posts inevitably will echo my thoughts almost to the word if not better and I hate posts that are put in a thread "just to see yourself type". Maybe I should pipe up but really it seems too much like a "yeah.... what they said..." sort of thing like I'm the pipsqueak sidekick in a cartoon.
  2. Posts that go off into tangents that have nothing to do with a topic aren't for me but I know some folks enjoy the joking around [when they get the joke] and I certainly don't want to imped on their fun. 
  3. Another thing is typically when all the new release hype is going on I don't tend to get it here until weeks after all of the posting has subsided so I'm getting to hear the first time everyone is kinda been there heard that. Which I totally understand. I do get to go through the big threads when I finally get to listen and read along after the fact. :) 
  4. There are I'm sure others but in reality life gets in the way... you intend to write something and all of a sudden work interferes or kids show up etc. I tend to think before I post and that can be hard ;)

Some things that make me feel compelled to post are

1. Something that I have either unique insight on or have found a source of information that hasn't been posted yet. 
  2. Topics, like this one, that ask for the opinion of users.
  3. Topics that talk about the experiences people have had with the music

Really for me the best thing that has happened to this forum, from a technical standpoint, that I use the most is the like system It allows me to post my feelings on a post without having to take up the space saying I agree or disagree. 

So even though I rarely post this place has been a part of my life since I was in my teens (hitting 40 now) and I hope it and all you beautiful people stick around and keep it going... I might even try to help here and there :)

This

I still pop in from time to time but, truthfully I’d rather talk sports than music. I enjoy listening to film music but really don’t care to discuss it in depth. There’s quite a few members who left many years ago that I enjoyed bantering with. 

Life also gets in the way. And there’s only so much praise I can heap upon Williams. I find myself watching fewer films over the past decade, I’m not interested in a lot of film music written after the 90’s. 

I’m more content to pop in and see if anything piques my interest and move on.

It's pretty perfect that I keep thinking of posting in this thread, but I haven't till now. Might even abandon this reply before posting it, as I have many times in the past.

I think a lot of my reasons align with the ones @KittBash mentioned. Just don't always feel like I have that much of value to say, especially after having been here for quite some time. There's also (IMO) a relative dearth of scores right now that perfectly walk the line between interestingness and accessibility, as well as the line between serving the film and engaging the album listener. Those are the scores I tend to go for, and when I'm not coming across many new ones, there's less to talk about.

Generally speaking, I'm most interested in learning or sharing new info. Sometimes there just isn't new info to learn or share. Sharing opinions can be fun too, but I'm also just not as interested in hearing myself talk as I used to be.

And then there's the simple fact that life happens. I didn't abandon this post, but I did step away from it for hours before finishing it. Just have other stuff going on.

All that being said, I remain grateful for this community!

16 hours ago, KittBash said:

I've been here so long that I know the prolific posters that I already agree with will be by in just a few minutes and their posts inevitably will echo my thoughts almost to the word if not better and I hate posts that are put in a thread "just to see yourself type". Maybe I should pipe up but really it seems too much like a "yeah.... what they said..." sort of thing like I'm the pipsqueak sidekick in a cartoon.

But that's all the more reason to post your opinion BEFORE those regulars come in and share theirs, so you get the acknowledgment and likes, and THEY have to think of something clever and different to say!

Another thing is typically when all the new release hype is going on I don't tend to get it here until weeks after all of the posting has subsided so I'm getting to hear the first time everyone is kinda been there heard that. Which I totally understand. I do get to go through the big threads when I finally get to listen and read along after the fact. :) 

Yea I love reading threads about a score after I finally discover it too, but the fact you're only hearing it after the initial hype is no reason to not also share your thoughts!  Just pick one one small moment in some track that stood out to you and be like "this part was really cool eh?", as stuff like that can kick off a whole new discussion about a score!

I tend to think before I post and that can be hard ;)

The key is to find the balance between wanting to spend so much time formulating the ultimate response in your head that you never say anything, and belching out whatever comes to your immediate mind without care like Jurassic Shark does.  Somewhere in the middle is the best spot for the poster, and the people who read the posts!

Topics, like this one, that ask for the opinion of users.

This is a good point, and I will try to make more new threads asking for opinions!

Really for me the best thing that has happened to this forum, from a technical standpoint, that I use the most is the like system It allows me to post my feelings on a post without having to take up the space saying I agree or disagree. 

Thank you for saying this!  I was initially not very sure about the board adding a like system, it didn't seem on paper like it would really be a good idea.  But I quickly learned to like it a lot too, and am glad I was able to embellish it with additional reaction types.

So even though I rarely post this place has been a part of my life since I was in my teens (hitting 40 now) and I hope it and all you beautiful people stick around and keep it going... I might even try to help here and there :)

Please do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/11/2021 at 8:13 AM, Groovygoth666 said:

I've only recently joined, but have been a lurker for longer than I'd like to admit. My reasons for not joining sooner and adding to topic's are pretty much the same as most of the people who have commented, not knowing much and feeling like I can't bring anything to the discussion, work life being tiring, other forums where I have posted my comments are usually ignored or end the conversation making it hard to want to participate.

Williams music is something I'm passionate about, this site has been an invaluable resource in not only his music but about film music in general and I hope to take part in discussions more.

Everyone here knows more about JW and film music in general than me but that doesn't stop me from participating! 

On 04/01/2022 at 3:57 PM, AC1 said:

Everyone here knows more about JW and film music in general than me but that doesn't stop me from participating! 

That was only part of why it took so long for me to participate, but I see now that it really shouldn't have been an excuse to stop me from joining in.