100 Years Malcolm Arnold (*21.10.1921)

BB-8

He has some truly wonderful concert music to his name, I’m especially fond of his 2nd and 3rd symphonies, and his miniature trumpet concerto (meaning the concerto is miniature, not the trumpet :P)

And he was good friends with Copland too!

One of my greatest friends was dear Aaron Copland, who I used to entertain.  I used to take him round in my car in London.  I’d say, “Anything you wanted to see today?”  And he’d say the most extraordinary things!  He’d say, “Yes, I’d like to just look around Buckingham Palace, and drive me down the mall.”  And I used to take him.  I’d take him to a Chinese restaurant in Limehouse called The Good Friends, which he adored!  It was real Chinese, you see.  He was at home; he was a New Yorker, wasn’t he? 

A Brooklyn man, he lived in apartments overlooking Hudson River not very far from the Juilliard.  When he invited me to a meal, I used to say, “Come, I’ll meet you in the lobby at the Saint Regis, and we’ll decide where to go.”  “Oh,” he’d say, “It’s my treat.  You’re coming to the Yale Club.”  And so we used to walk, sometimes in the snow, but he always had an umbrella, so it was all right!  [Laughs]  We used to walk to the Yale Club and I would spend a marvelous day.  He’d say, “I’ve just got a few things to do in the library.  If you’re unhappy sitting there having coffee, and waiting for me...”  And I’d say, “I’m delighted to be in your club, Aaron!”  We had marvelous times!  Those are my memories, happy memories — every one a happy memory — of New York.

http://www.bruceduffie.com/arnold2.html

That whole interview is very nice, you can tell he was a gregarious character.