Jerry Goldsmith's LEGEND (1985) - 2021 2-CD Music Box Records

Amer

I have the expanded album from 1992 on CD (had the OST LP before as well) and I don't really miss anything substancially on it.

But for everyone who doesn't own this score, very big recommendation to get it.

For my taste this is Goldsmith's best fantasy score.

8 minutes ago, Amer said:

Pour la première fois en version augmentée.

Well, that isn't quite true. The Silva CD was an expansion of the old LP OST (I own both).

Translated by Google:

LEGEND

Original Film Soundtrack

composed and conducted by Jerry GOLDSMITH

For the first time in an expanded version.

16-page booklet, internal notes by Jeff Bond. Remastered 2-CD edition limited to 2000 copies.

In collaboration with Silva Screen Records Ltd, Music Box Records presents, for the first time in an augmented and remastered version, the soundtrack to the film by Ridley Scott Legend (1985) composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith (Alien, Basic Instinct).

This heroic fantasy film tells the story of Lili (Mia Sara), a young and beautiful princess, coveted both by Jack (Tom Cruise), a young man close to nature, and by Darkness (Tim Curry), a true incarnation of evil, who dreams only of plunging the world into an eternal night by killing the two protective unicorns.

Performed by the orchestra and choirs of the National Philharmonic Orchestra, the ambitious score, influenced by Ravel and Debussy, once again highlights the richness of writing and the complexity of one of Jerry Goldsmith's finest music. . The composer has created a score of complex harmonies and orchestrations, supported by elaborate and inventive synthetic textures, and fairy-like and impressionist choirs for a work combining beauty with darkness.

For this new edition carefully remastered by Christophe Hénault, the first CD (entitled "The Film Score") offers all the music of the film and the second disc (entitled "Remastered Original Soundtrack Album") takes up the program of the original album which featured a selection of tracks from the soundtrack. This album also includes two unreleased tracks and two other tracks in alternate versions. This present edition, limited to 2000 copies, includes a 16-page booklet including a text written by Jeff Bond who collected the memories of sound engineer Mike Ross-Trevor on his collaboration with Jerry Goldsmith.

In collaboration with Silva Screen Records Ltd, Music Box Records proudly presents the remastered and expanded edition of Jerry Goldsmith's lavish fantasy score for Ridley Scott's 1985 film Legend, starring Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, David Bennent and Tim Curry.

Performed by the National Philharmonic Orchestra with a large choir and a broad mix of spellbinding electronic textures, Goldsmith's score features enchanting songs, a wide-ranging blend of melodies from the romantic themes for Tom Cruise's and Mia Sara's characters to motifs for goblins, unicorns, faeries and elves, and a brooding melody for Tim Curry's imposing character of Darkness. Ranging from evocative impressionism to grand, operatic statements, the score marked the apotheosis of Jerry Goldsmith's symphonic impressionism of the early 1980s and the composer himself ranked it as his finest work for many years.

This release features the slightly expanded film score on disc 1 and the original soundtrack album on disc 2. This new 2CD edition adds for the first time two previously unreleased cues and two alternate tracks. The sound has been entirely restored and carefully remastered by audio engineer Christophe Hénault. The CD comes with a 16-page booklet with liner notes by Jeff Bond, discussing the film and the score including new comments by engineer Mike-Ross Trevor on his collaboration with Jerry Goldsmith. The release is limited to 2000 units.

Non-Google translated English version on the EN version of the site.

https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/11031-legend.html

33 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Wish I could order that but due to current rules it won't be possible. Is anyone in Europe wishing to get ne a copy and then send it over to me? Obviously, I pay for everything. 

They need to fix their shopping platform! Everyone else can quite happily ship to the UK.

27 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Someone should have taught JG how to use a symphony orchestra properly... 

Are you referring to his excessive use of sythesizers? Yes, I also would have prefered this score without the synths. But it is still a brillant score.

29 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

They need to fix their shopping platform! Everyone else can quite happily ship to the UK.

I don't really understand why they need to do that. But then, I am not a business-savvy person. 

Karol

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Someone should have taught JG how to use a symphony orchestra properly... 

Eejit.

8 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Speaking of cats, I can't get into this score. It's just electronic synthesized cat farts. 

Eejit.

I don't have this in any form... in fact, I don't think I've ever listened to it.  Somehow, it eluded me.

Screen Archives will carry this, right?

My slightly hot (lukewarm?) take is that Secret of NIMH is Goldsmith's best fantasy score, but boy howdy is Legend a close 2nd.  I don't own the 90s release physically (I probably pirated it in like 2004 anyway, so I'm sure my CD rip will have much better sound too) so I'll be ordering this for sure!

Screen Archives usually stocks Music Box releases right?

Why is the French version in the main post?  MBR's website has always had simultaneous French and English

https://www.musicbox-records.com/fr/cd-musiques-de-films/11031-legend.html

https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/11031-legend.html

Fantastic news!!! I usually don't have much interrest for MBR releases but this one is clearly a must have and an instant buy for me.

Funny to see lot of you having question about how to get it with cheap shipping cost, for once I won't be among you... hehe ;)

Hmm, it should be ordered - especially for the weird synth stuff, which is what makes it so cutting-edge and sets it apart from the squeaky-clean LSO fantasy scores of the period - but i wonder what disc 1 really is? Is it the old Silva (which featured some notable alternates to the cues in the movie, i. e. The Ring and The Unicorns) with two new cues or is it the film versions, which are the lesser rewrites, obviously because the original versions were too good. 

That would make it necessary to keep the Silva. And additional point of confusion: there was an old cassette boot that had more music not featured here. be that as it may, Goldsmith last *real* masterpiece should be part of every self-respecting collection.

This is a Jerry score I own no version of (and maybe only heard one of the old albums one time or so), so I'm very excited to finally discover this score, and do so via the best possible presentation.  Woohoo!

I remember bidding on this on eBay in the late 90s, believing it was the Silva CD. As it turned out (either because I hadn't read the fine print good enough, or because it was unclear to begin with), it turned out to be the old LP. I was bummed then, but find it kinda cool to own now. Love the cover. A year or so later, I got the proper Silva CD from somewhere, so I'm now all set, LEGEND-wise (it's a score I have a schizophrenic relationship to anyway).

But yeah -- that old LEGEND LP is the first, and to date only time I've ever bought an LP online (albeit by accident).

I don't remember anything about it, it was probably 20+ years ago

I saw the film once, but it had the Tangerine Dream score in it

Jeff Bond who wrote the liner says this via on his Facebook page:

One of the few enjoyable aspects of my summer after our move was working on this new release of Jerry Goldsmith's magnificent Legend score for Laurent LaFarge and Music Box Records. Douglass Fake miraculously dug up an additional three minutes of the score that hasn't been heard and a few other tidbits (including a brief but gripping, Final Conflict-like choral cue) in good sound make this a pivotal release.

14 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Oh, finally the Silva Screen issue could be resolved. Supergirl waiting around the corner, I guess. Definitely gonna get this, every additional second is worth it.

It's a shame the complete tapes still seem to be missing, but so great that Douglass Fake came to the rescue for a second time this year, providing a couple of previously unreleased cues (and this time in way better sound quality than the ones for Lionheart!)

Yavar

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Do you think this will go OOP in one month?

I'm waiting for Black Friday announcements, in case I want something from that batch (hoping for a Williams), to make my order.

It's already temporarily out of stock at MBR, that gives you some time where the stock won't go lower ;)

@Romãowas kind enough to order a copy for me. Such a good chap. :)

I'm really excited about this. It's one of my very favourite Jerry Goldsmith scores. The fact we might be getting even a slight upgrade is huge news to me. 

Karol

5 hours ago, Holko said:

It's already temporarily out of stock at MBR, that gives you some time where the stock won't go lower ;)

Already? In one day :o

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is the score complete now - meaning there is at least one version of every cue?

Don't think so, but it’s probably as complete as it will ever be. Someone will have to do a direct comparison with the poor-sounding boot, which I think had more music but in poor sound.

Yavar