Restored Isolated Score: Sleepy Hollow

Holko

That's a great analysis :)

I think it also demonstrated (as you've detailed) what a chaotic composing/recording/editing process this must've been, and that keeping paperwork accurate during such a process is difficult, and likely wrong in some cases.

... which is a not very subtle way of my highlighting that any perceived flaws on the set (such as whatever happened to The Final Confrontation) are very likely the result of trying to interpret what was intended amongst the multitude of takes and inserts, with paperwork that might not be accurate, and god knows what pre-edited tracks might be in their session elements.

This also reveals how important it was that we got such a large number of alternates on the set, given that the final mix uses so many of them.

A few other interesting things to note:

• The OST edits out the bit at the start of The Chase that was edited out of the film. Leads me to wonder did Elfman do it after Burton had removed it from the film and agreed with the decision, or just on his own volition as it thought it sounded better for the album? Musically it doesn't really fit at all.
  • I think the tracking of the Horseman Rearing motif at the end of the same cue is way better than Elfman's original section. The editing required (I recreated it while I was fixing the performance issue) isn't the best, but I think it really works creatively.
  • Totally agree about The Will. The original cue just feels like a typical 'mystery' cue, but really lacks something compared to the revised version. Given there's just one revision and how different it is, they must've realised pretty quick what was wrong with it.
  • Generally comparing the film, Intrada's set, and the OST, hardly anything seems to match regarding soloists/choir. Obviously it's an easy element to change if they record those separately, and the music as we have was evidently just the starting point for the editors and mixers.

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

given that the final mix uses so many of them.

The final mix mostly uses the final main program versions, plus sometimes parts of whatever other takes, released or not released on the Intrada, aka circled or not circled. I don't think these takes were all circled because they were all used, I think they had the initial pass at recording them, picked the best one, circled it, then came back a week or two later, 5-10 sessions later even (don't know the actual numbers), had another pass with the revision, picked the best, circled it, didn't bother to go back and cross out the earlier version.

Wow, this looks incredible.  I hope I can find time to watch this videos some time real soon!  For now, I already enjoyed just reading the descriptions.  What a process it was for them to put this score together!

• 1 month later...

@Holko, I finally found time to watch this today!

Basically, instead of listening to audio files while working today, I had the videos running on my side monitor while I was coding away on my main monitor.

Damn man, you did a great job here.  I love hearing the entire main program with the visuals to go with it, and I love the way you decided to present the alternates! It was very smart to show the "evolution" of each cue, even re-including the same "Main" version that was already in the initial videos.  I especially liked when the only revisions where inserts, you didn't repeat the whole cue again but now with an insert, you showcased just the Insert. Very cool.

It is kinda of funny that with this score, there's isn't any like "oh wow, I can't believe how DIFFERENT that cue was before they changed it!" type moments; the differences are really more subtle throughout.  It probably helps that the entire score is already living in a certain soundscape it doesn't stray far from, so of course the alternates are the same way.

So yea great work, and one of the most interesting one of these to go through.  Can't wait to see what you'll do next :)