Williams's European wishes for his 90th birthsday

Fabulin

39 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

"Now, in what time I have left, I really hope I can spend more time in Europe. I want to go to Leipzig, I want to go to Hamburg, I want to go to Berlin, I want to go back to Vienna".

--- at Tanglewood, Summer 2021

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-talk-composing-and-more-azi/13164/ 

(final minute)

He was in Berlin and Leipzig. Let's get back to Vienna😎

5 hours ago, Fabulin said:

"Now, in what time I have left, I really hope I can spend more time in Europe. I want to go to Leipzig, I want to go to Hamburg, I want to go to Berlin, I want to go back to Vienna".

--- at Tanglewood, Summer 2021

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-talk-composing-and-more-azi/13164/ 

(final minute)

Great Interview. Watched the whole thing. Thanks for posting. 

JW also discussed the great freedom that he has when writing concert music, compared to film, not being constrained by the exact timing required to compose to specific scene lengths. 

The video seems to be embedded in the pbs.org article and doesn't appear to be coming from a major video platform. 

But I found it here as well: 

https://video.kqed.org/video/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-talk-composing-and-more-azi/

Hopefully this link will be accessible from your area. 

44 minutes ago, Paul Doug said:

The video seems to be embedded in the pbs.org article and doesn't appear to be coming from a major video platform. 

But I found it here as well: 

https://video.kqed.org/video/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-talk-composing-and-more-azi/

Hopefully this link will be accessible from your area. 

Alas, no. I'll have to wait patiently for it to surface elsewhere.

Vienna last year, Berlin last month, Milan next June... The next European destination?

My guess: with Gustavo Dudamel at the head of Opéra de Paris, I bet that in fall 2022, there will be a "John Williams dirige John Williams" concert at the Philharmonie de Paris.

That's my new hope. :)

As much as his collaboration with Anna-Sophie isn't exactly my favourite of his career, I just love seeing him so enthused about something. It's quite clear they have a truly special connection and it means a lot to both of them. There's a lovely moment when he calls her "Angel," and I feel like we get a slight glimpse behind the formal interview mask.... a bit like him calling JJ "baby" in that TFA video. Great to see him so chatty and relaxed. Wonderful stuff.  

On 06/11/2021 at 7:17 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Let's get right back to the Royal Albert bloody Hall!

Agreed, missed out last time, hopefully Williams fondness for the LSO can coax him back as part of a potential European tour.

• 2 months later...

Here's a German news article:

https://www.mopo.de/news/promi-show/hollywoods-soundgigant-john-williams-wird/

At the end, it claims that Williams has announced on Instagram that he wants to go to Leipzig, Hamburg, and Berlin. Make of that what you will.

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

At the end, it claims that Williams has announced on Instagram that he wants to go to Leipzig, Hamburg, and Berlin. Make of that what you will.

Wait, what? Williams has an Instagram account? Even if it would be run by any of "his people", I find that hard to believe.

I think ASM said he wants to visit Hamburg among other european cities. But that was back in october. Nothing new in recent interviews as far as I know. He could play more concerts in europe when he comes here in march. The long journey for just two concerts seems a bit of a waste of energy.

Well, he has been to Berlin and Leipzig, so only Hamburg is missing. And the article probably mixes up several sources like this Tanglwood citation and perhaps some Instagram stuff by Mutter.

48 minutes ago, Steve said:

I think ASM said he wants to visit Hamburg among other european cities. But that was back in october. Nothing new in recent interviews as far as I know. He could play more concerts in europe when he comes here in march. The long journey for just two concerts seems a bit of a waste of energy.

Waiting for the LSO's announcement...