Who do you want to score Obi-Wan Kenobi? (2022, Disney+)

crumbs

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

a young, newcomer composer like they did with the MCU shows for Disney+. 

This really only applies to Loki.  Christophe Beck and Henry Jackman are far from young newcomers.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This really only applies to Loki.  Christophe Beck and Henry Jackman are far from young newcomers.

Maybe not, but besides Loki there's also Laura Karpman from What If.

Either way, if they hire a veteran, I guess it will be at least someone Disney already worked with, like John Debney or Christophe Beck. As much as I'd love a David Arnold score, he is virtually an unknown for Lucasfilm.

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I still think Powell is in the box seat with this one. Just a hunch. I'm probably completely wrong and they'll ask Powell to do the Lando show instead (assuming it's a quasi sequel to Solo). 

I like your optimistic thinking that he definitely will get a series, just not sure which one.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking again about who could be writing the score and assuming that it will not be as classical and old fashioned like we all hope and Disney might hire someone they already worked with, I thought that Laura Karpman might be a good choice. She did quite a good job on "What If...?".

19 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Giacchino, so that ya’ll can have a breakdown over it. 

I'd be okay with him doing Andor, since that's a Rogue One spinoff anyway. I don't see him doing this one though.

1. John Williams
  2. Joel McNeely (after his terrific work both on Star Wars, Indy and The Orville)
  3. John Debney
  4. Joe Kraemer
  5. John Powell

As you see the composer need to have a first name starting with a "J"

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Reuse JW's old OT scores.

If they asked a smart sound editor to create to create a temp track score from Williams original material and ask any composer to create something alike for the show, they will have a problem. I hardly can imagine, who wouldn't give up on that task. William Ross maybe?

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

A Star Wars score with constant violent drumming and synth-y power anthems? Not for me, but I guess some people will be pleased.

Doesn't have to be like that. JXL can do anything. Even beautiful orchestral passages like in BRIMSTONE. But despite the interesting suggestion, I'd rather have him do smaller titles than these big tentpole things. Adore stuff like DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS and WHITE LINES, for example. More of that.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

A Star Wars score with constant violent drumming and synth-y power anthems? Not for me, but I guess some people will be pleased.

He could do something innovative, such as remixing an Elvis song...

On 19/11/2021 at 5:26 AM, Edmilson said:

We may dream about Joe Kraemer, Don Davis, David Arnold, Joel McNeely, etc., but it's more probable Disney will hire a young, newcomer composer like they did with the MCU shows for Disney+. 

I hope so. The industry needs to build up a new generation of composers rather than names like Don Davis and David Arnold.

Anne-Kathrin Dern especially should get a hard look.

If relatively a new voice in the industry would be doing Obi-Wan or another Star Wars score then my picks would be:

Anne-Kathrin Dern

Mathieau Lamboley

Carlos Rafael Rivera

Christopher Willis

And I would love it if Roque Banos or Fernando Velazquez get a chance like that.

And I would love for Powell to do another Star Wars score. And a list of composers who I think might be great as well: Christophe Beck, Bear McCreary, John Debney, Pinar Toprak, Laura Karpman, Joe Kraemer, Daniel Pemberton, Natalie Holt & James Newton Howard.

• 2 weeks later...

For the fellow composers on here, if given the shot how would YOU personally compose the show if given the chance?

I know companies are into fresh ideas for these types of things, so I don't think a more traditional score is going to cut it, though I'd be surprised. What I would do if I was allowed would be to take samples from the John Williams scores, and I mean samples in the Daft Punk sense, and sort of do a "remix" soundtrack. One could stretch those sounds into drones, or one could literally do a Daft Punk-esque mash up throwing several different samples together, giving it a kind of early LucasArts Star Wars score feel. That way you could have traditional elements, but also have it be some kind of transformative.

Yeah I don't think Ludwig is the right choice for this project, but he's been perfect for Mando.

That said, he had the good sense to treat the Force Theme with reverence when it finally appeared in Mando... unlike a certain other composer who decided to get "creative" with the theme (and butchered it spectacularly).

I also have no idea what direction they're taking with this series, stylistically.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, we would be lucky, if we got something like Giacchino's "Rogue One", where the composer at least tried to emulate the Star Wars sound, but I am not that optimistic anymore.

oh god please no

31 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, we would be lucky, if we got something like Giacchino's "Rogue One", where the composer at least tried to emulate the Star Wars sound, but I am not that optimistic anymore.

The problem with Rogue One isn't that Giacchino was emulating a Star Wars score it's that he was attempting to emulate a John Williams Star Wars score.

Contrast that to Solo, which is a John Powell score through and through, yet retains the spirit of the existing Star Wars scores.

It's also a big contrast to the more recent Fallen Kingdom, where Giacchino wrote a Giacchino score in the spirit of the Jurassic Park scores. Perhaps he's grown more confidence in his musical voice?

It might seem like splitting hairs but the difference is enormous.

If powel didnt had the williams theme, neither williams approved segments, for me the score would be another forgetable powell synth rythms driven score.

to me rogue one sounds like a star wars score, even if the usage of williams music is not that good to some.

if williams had composed the main theme of rogue one, it would be the best star wars score (ever) not directly written by williams.

2 minutes ago, crypto said:

I think you're also selling Powell short by calling his music "forgetable synth rhythms driven," when all 3 of his Dragon scores are propulsed by rich melodies and distinctly colourful orchestration.

But you can't deny that many of his scores do include synth elements, and some of us don't always find that successful.

I find the dragon scores overbearing, and completely forgetable. I dont remember the main theme at all.

i meant if giacchino had a new williams theme, it would be the main melody of the film, he probably would no have resorting to quote other themes. Anyway williams would have supervised those quotes too. He may even have used the full imperial march because williams would have prefered that instead of another imperialish theme.

BTW i dont find giacchino usage of williams themes bad. I think he should have used more of them in the final space battle.

3 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

i dont find giacchino usage of williams themes bad. I think he should have used more of them in the final space battle.

I don't find MG's use of JW's themes to be bad either, and I believe the general criticism is about how it's used with what's going on on-screen.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

Williams snobbery

Hey, we're on JWFan.com.

52 minutes ago, crypto said:

The problem with Rogue One isn't that Giacchino was emulating a Star Wars score it's that he was attempting to emulate a John Williams Star Wars score.

Contrast that to Solo, which is a John Powell score through and through, yet retains the spirit of the existing Star Wars scores.

It's also a big contrast to the more recent Fallen Kingdom, where Giacchino wrote a Giacchino score in the spirit of the Jurassic Park scores. Perhaps he's grown more confidence in his musical voice?

It might seem like splitting hairs but the difference is enormous.

It's clear, like with the film itself, Giacchino was brought in to write a Star WarsTM score, whereas I got the impression Solo had more freedom in regards to the approach to the score, but with Williams' presence making a difference.

I wouldn't think after almost two decades scoring both Pixar and mainstream film scores that his confidence all of a sudden matured with Fallen Kingdom, as opposed to merely having greater clarity to write a score that didn't need to fit some Williams mould.

31 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

If powel didnt had the williams theme, neither williams approved segments, for me the score would be another forgetable powell synth rythms driven score.

It's the Zimmer germ. He sold his soul to the devis and this is the price he's paying.