Who do you want to score Obi-Wan Kenobi? (2022, Disney+)

crumbs

Powell records most of his scores in London nowadays from what I can tell. The same bassist is credited on most if not all of JP's recent scores. Granted that doesn't necessarily confirm JP's involvement, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Powell's my number one choice for this project, especially if there's a rematch duel on Mustafar. I can see him knocking that type of music out of the park.

Frankly I can't imagine many other composers who could match what Williams scored for the third act of ROTS. Maybe David Arnold or JNH?

According to this, it doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be Powell. Maybe Batu Sener? That would be almost just as great as Powell, but I still feel like it would be unlikely. 

CF865E14-88A7-4112-9DBE-02E4AAB03600.jpeg

^^ It’s official:

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/02/17/disneys-obi-wan-kenobi-tv-series-to-feature-theme-by-john-williams/

Variety has confirmed that John Williams has recorded a theme for the upcoming Disney+ limited series Obi-Wan Kenobi. The composer has recorded the theme last week with a Los Angeles orchestra. Recording sessions for the show’s score written by another composer (to be announced soon) have been taking place in London in recent months. 

^^
how come the full score has been recorded these past months, but the main theme has only been recorded last week? I don’t get the coordination here 😂

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I suppose it depends on when he wrote it. It's possible he could've written it months in advance for the other composer to utilize; at least I'd assume/hope that's the case.

One would imagine so... the recording sessions probably need a couple of weeks but I expect it was written plenty in advance for the composer to use. Fingers hopelessly crossed for John Powell (not going to happen) but it does suggest they might be going for something a bit more trad-Star Wars, music wise, than Mando/BOBF. Exciting news either way.

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Desplat, finally?

We dodged a bullett when he was thrown out of ROGUE ONE a few years ago, but then got another bullett in Giacchino instead, so a zero sum game. But if the choice is between those two evils, I'd take Desplat any day of the week.

42 minutes ago, Thor said:

We dodged a bullett when he was thrown out of ROGUE ONE a few years ago, but then got another bullett in Giacchino instead, so a zero sum game. But if the choice is between those two evils, I'd take Desplat any day of the week.

I'm going to have to agree with you there.

12 minutes ago, LSH said:

I'm going to have to agree with you there.

Good to know. For all my justified criticism of Desplat, Giacchino can only dream of composing something as good as Desplat's THE GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING or THE PAINTED VEIL. But that's ages ago.

Holy shit, for some reason after TROS I just never expected Williams to ever write more Star Wars music and yet here we are. Very exciting news, can't wait to hear what he comes up with considering that Ben Kenobi's original theme became the Force theme.

8 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Holy shit, for some reason after TROS I just never expected Williams to ever write more Star Wars music and yet here we are. Very exciting news, can't wait to hear what he comes up with considering that Ben Kenobi's original theme became the Force theme.

In one of those “controversial opinions” threads I suggested that Ben Kenobi’s theme effectively evolved into the main theme for the entire Star Wars franchise. It appears far more often than the actual main theme including in trailers and the Star Wars ident with the light flashing over the helmets that Disney use. The main theme is great but it’s much more of a Saturday matinee swashbuckling theme that fits the original movie and Luke when he was essentially an innocent being heroic but is perhaps too upbeat as a calling card for the more mythical tone of the series as a whole. 

On 18/02/2022 at 5:55 PM, DarthDementous said:

I thought Williams would be approached to write the main theme for "Obi-Wan", be it a feature or streaming series. Much less work than writing a score for a 2 hour movie, especially at his age.

You'd figure they would announce the composer for the episodes, so it must be a high profile name. 

On 18/02/2022 at 12:09 PM, Edmilson said:

I'm still sad that we didn't got Desplat's scores for Rogue One and Black Widow.

I would LOVE to hear Desplat's work for Rogue One. His action writing for Deathly Hallows channeled Williams in the best way. I'm not sure if he would've utilized Williams' themes as often as Lucasfilm wanted, but I bet his theme for Jyn Erso would've been beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 8:28 AM, Disco Stu said:

Broughton would be a dream come true, but it would never ever happen.

At his age, he would insist on recording in L.A. and I don't think he would supervise remote sessions in London.

Original star wars themes by John Williams

Music by Conrad pope and William Ross

Conducted by William Ross

Performed by the London Symphony orchestra

Hows that?

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Original star wars themes by John Williams

Music by Conrad pope and William Ross [except the pilot and final fully composed by John Williams]

Conducted by William Ross

Performed by the London Symphony orcestra

Now that's perfect

I'm swaying more and more toward William Ross. I've been re-visiting a lot of his work recently and I think it would be great to finally hear him on something high-profile again.