Who do you want to score Obi-Wan Kenobi? (2022, Disney+)

crumbs

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Doesn't he not even do his own orchestration?

I guess that's the problem.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Thing is, you're comparing a concert arrangement, with no limitations in instrumentation, conforming to scenes, or anything like that (essentially Wiliams writing literally whatever he wanted for 4 minutes), to Powell scoring a scene with specific requirements and instructions from the director.

Well, a lot of what JW writes has concert arrangement qualities.

Not really interested in Giacchino's take on Star Wars music in the least. I liked Powell's work a lot in Solo, and was a nice breath of fresh air feeling far more stylized than all of the other recent Star Wars scores, mixed with high quality Williams-like work (with a few painful misuses of Luke's theme but that's nothing new).

Doesn't mean I necessarily want Powell for everything though. I wouldn't mind him for the Obi-Wan show, but I also would be interested in some of the video game composers getting a shot at a show or movie, such as Stephen Barton and/or Gordy Haab. As long as it's not the snore-fest of Ludwig Göransson again. 

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Wasn't Meet Han based primarily on John Williams' sketch anyway? 🤔

Karol

Yes. That's my point.

It is like saying "Isn't Da Vinci's Mona Lisa and this picture based on the same scetch anyway?"

image.png

Look, my personal opinion about powells music is wrong and byased as much as giacchino haters opinions, to me and other giacchino fans. 

i generalised describing powells music, but i have been years reading generalised descriptions of giachinos music in the same way.

sorry but today i didnt want to hold back, and actually tried to express my opinion in this matter… 

i just dont see the appeal in non williams style star wars scores… mandalorian theme took a while but in the end i liked it though, but the techno beats and craps in action cues (mandalorians assault on gideons ship, swoop bike chase in book of boba…)…yikes.

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I find the dragon scores overbearing, and completely forgetable. I dont remember the main theme at all.

Would you be willing to listen to this 2 1/2 minute track and tell us what you think about it, and only it, not anything else about the score as a whole?

I have endured the three films. That was enough

ok i’ll humour you:

typical stereotypical celtic vibes with a power anthem overlay. There may be a nice tune there… but the modern approach to a medieval setting is wrong

20 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes. That's my point.

It is like saying "Isn't Da Vinci's Mona Lisa and this picture based on the same scetch anyway?"

Except that's not what he means by that. Meet Han is a cue that actually was primarily written by Williams, with Powell simply filling in some of the gaps. Not the only one as well, in case you ever look into the proper threads dedicated to Solo's music.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Except that's not what he means by that. Meet Han is a cue that actually was primarily written by Williams, with Powell simply filling in some of the gaps. Not the only one as well, in case you ever look into the proper threads dedicated to Solo's music.

This highlights why JWFan is so amusing a lot of the time - people deciding whether they like a cue based on whether John Williams composed it, and if someone else wrote it, there's no way it has the depth of complexity of Williams. What on earth is it that people get out of putting other composers down?

:rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

This highlights why JWFan is so amusing a lot of the time - people deciding whether they like a cue based on whether John Williams composed it, and if someone else wrote it, there's no way it has the depth of complexity of Williams. What on earth is it that people get out of putting other composers down?

This comment highlights why discussions on the internet can least to shit storms with people who have hardly time to check out longer than 30 seconds to really dive into a discussion and have therefore a tendency to generalisation and simplification (what else could you do in 30 seconds) but still want to contribute and still make a point.

2 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I guess one of the gaps was the very beginning, which is the section that I am referring to with the synthetic Drums. Or do you really want to tell me that Williams arranged that part? So, Williams told Powel to so his thing, but then he adapted Powel's style? Very unlikely.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I feel like I've seen you post this comment more than I've actually seen JWFan doing what you describe...

53 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'd love to hear a Max Richter STAR WARS score, for example. He would definitely capture the Force/spiritual aspect of Obi-Wan very well.

Please leave out the minimalists out here.

I agree we don't really need someone who can imitate Williams.

We need someone who can write a strong orchestral thematic score with his/hers own voice. It still has to fit in with the Star Wars Universe.

But I also agree that I don't want to see Richter doing it

I wouldn't mind having someone like Rob Simonsen giving it a shot. His robust adaptation of Elmer Bernstein's Ghostbusters material feel very Silvestri/Williams/Broughton at times. Like this action cue for example:

Karol

Bruce Broughton also might not be a bad choice. Recently, Iistened to his Lost in Space score which was quite Williams pastiche. But I also understand why people don't want something like this and ask for a strong own voice.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Please leave out the minimalists out here.

He's not really a minimalist. More in the territory of post-minimalist romanticism. Abel Korzeniowski is another great example of the same sound -- he can do big, boisterous things if called for (METROPOLIS, COPERNICUS STAR, ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW), but also lovely, intimate stuff like A SINGLE MAN and W.E. And he has his own unique voice that separates him from the Broughtons, McNeelys and Debneys of this world.

Someone in that territory would be brilliant. But won't happen, alas.

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

He's not really a minimalist. More in the territory of post-minimalist romanticism. Abel Korzeniowski is another great example of the same sound -- he can do big, boisterous things if called for (METROPOLIS, COPERNICUS STAR, ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW), but also lovely, intimate stuff like A SINGLE MAN and W.E. And he has his own unique voice that separates him from the Broughtons, McNeelys and Debneys of this world.

Someone in that territory would be brilliant. But won't happen, alas.

From Korzeniowski I just know his more chamber music like, romantic scores like A Single Man, W.E. and Penny Dreadfull. I like these for what they are, but I am not sure if it would work in a show like that. But probably you are right. A score like for example a mixture of Dario Marianelli's "The Darkest Hour" and his "Bumble Bee" score could be great for something like that show.

But might all be a little too dreamy after all.

But I still would love that compared to another Görannson soundscape.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

A score like for example a mixture of Dario Marianelli's "The Darkest Hour" and his "Bumble Bee" score could be great for something like that show.

Marianelli would fall in the same category, but hasn't really been inspired (or inspiring) for a decade now, IMO. So I wouldn't place my bet on him.

As for Korzeniowski, check out the titles I mentioned earlier for a bolder expression.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Marianelli would fall in the same category, but hasn't really been inspired (or inspiring) for a decade now, IMO. So I wouldn't place my bet on him.

With that I disagree. "Darkest Hour" is great in my oppinion.

Bear Mccreary perhaps. Proven great at a combination of the spiritual side and orchestral action.

Who doesn't want to hear a nine minute Taiko Drum sequence as Obi-Wan treks across the Tattooine desert battling enemies. 

5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Bear Mccreary perhaps. Proven great at a combination of the spiritual side and orchestral action.

Who doesn't want to hear a nine minute Taiko Drum sequence as Obi-Wan treks across the Tattooine desert battling enemies. 

That for sure would be a great score. Doubt it will be him unfortunately.

Not particularly telling, and I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but the only musician listed on IMDB so far is a double bassist names Roger Linley, who is a London musician who previously worked on Solo: A Star Wars Story and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. So it appears this score is being recorded in London, possibly with the LSO, or at the very least probably at Abbey Road.