INDEPENDENCE DAY in Full Score - David Arnold

chrissiddall

• 3 weeks later...

@chrissiddallJust ordered earlier today. I've been excitedly waiting for this one and then I guess I got busy last month and totally missed this thread getting posted. 

Can't wait to go through this!

I'm guessing "2M5R Def-Con 3" and "7M3 Welcome To Earth" were never recorded?  Or maybe 20th didn't provide them when Mike made that set in 2010.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm guessing "2M5R Def-Con 3" and "7M3 Welcome To Earth" were never recorded?  Or maybe 20th didn't provide them when Mike made that set in 2010.

They're in the movie. Definitely recorded. 

Great book, Chris! This score had a significant place in my discovery of film music, being one of the first non-Williams soundtracks I got. Awesome to have the full score to study.

Already the first cursory thumb-through yields lots of interesting details to discover (alphorn, wtf :D). Reading along with the recording, there seem to be a number of podium changes that are not reflected in the score (like the horns in Firestorm, bars 25-26) - do you have any insights on that?

17 minutes ago, ChrisAfonso said:

Great book, Chris! This score had a significant place in my discovery of film music, being one of the first non-Williams soundtracks I got. Awesome to have the full score to study.

Already the first cursory thumb-through yields lots of interesting details to discover (alphorn, wtf :D). Reading along with the recording, there seem to be a number of podium changes that are not reflected in the score (like the horns in Firestorm, bars 25-26) - do you have any insights on that?

Hi Chris.  There were many changes versus the manuscript, and whilst we try to capture everything during the editing and proofing process it's almost inevitable that something will be overlooked in a body of work so large (the manuscript was 961 pages!).  I'm not near my score at the moment but will check out that particular one later.  Anything which requires amendment goes onto an errata list to be corrected for future reprints, so even though we feel this is "as authentic as it gets", we eke our way towards perfection!

I got mine yesterday and am really excited to read through along with the score, @chrissiddall

Just out of curiosity, are any of the original versions of cues present in the original manuscript? 1M2, 1M4, 2M4, 2M5, etc, etc..?

19 hours ago, MrJosh said:

Just out of curiosity, are any of the original versions of cues present in the original manuscript? 1M2, 1M4, 2M4, 2M5, etc, etc..?

Yes they are present, however in most cases there is a lot of duplication/only minor variation from the final cue, or they were in a less polished state, making their inclusion more of a curiosity than adding great value to the book.  Perhaps one day if we ever do a second edition we'll revisit the idea.

So I've finally managed to sit down and read along with the score.

First of all, MASSIVE respect to @chrissiddallfor putting this together. I know how much work it is to prepare one page of orchestral score, let alone an entire soundtrack. I do hope that more publishers put out works like this and that the market for such scores can grow even bigger.

Onto the music...

I have to say, I believe this is the most important full score release of a film soundtrack we've had so far. I say that because, as far as "beefy orchestra" soundtracks are concerned (and the best "full scores" are for the "beefiest orchestras", essentially), then I'm not sure you can get any beefier than ID4. Listeners will already have felt this but reading along the score basically confirms this.

When I was reading along with the score, I often felt like I was reading along to Richard Strauss's "Salome" or "Elektra". Partly due to the crazy horn writing. But those scores (and much of Strauss's work anyway), are filled with moments seldom found in other composers, moments which make you go "I can't believe he got away with that!". ID4 is like this. Arnold/Dodd squeezed everything they could out of the romantic orchestra. We all know ID4 is a kind of Golden Age score, but it goes beyond the Golden Age, back to the slightly-deranged and slightly-overbearing maximalism of Strauss and Mahler. John Williams, though he writes richly-orchestrated scores, is too sane/disciplined/orderly to write like that (even his "complex" stuff has a very precise quality to it - same goes for Korngold). And I'm not saying that Arnold is the next Mahler. But in this score you can clearly see the composer and orchestrator go all the way, like the maximalists would. It's very un-minimalist.

In other words, I don't think there is a score out there that is more "well-laboured" than this. Of course that doesn't mean it's the best score evaarr, but it definitely translates to the most enjoyable score I've read in a long time.

I mean, just that percussion section...good God, I'm surprised they could all fit in one room. All I will say is that: I never knew Hospital Gongs and Nipple Gongs were a thing; I have to use more Ribbon Crasher in my pieces; but my favourite is the "Large Drum, Open Side w/ Plank Across (Large) Hit w/ Large Sledge Hammer" (fans of the score will immediately know what I'm talking about :whistle:)

21 minutes ago, Loert said:

So I've finally managed to sit down and read along with the score.

First of all, MASSIVE respect to @chrissiddallfor putting this together. I know how much work it is to prepare one page of orchestral score, let alone an entire soundtrack. I do hope that more publishers put out works like this and that the market for such scores can grow even bigger.

Onto the music...

I have to say, I believe this is the most important full score release of a film soundtrack we've had so far. I say that because, as far as "beefy orchestra" soundtracks are concerned (and the best "full scores" are for the "beefiest orchestras", essentially), then I'm not sure you can get any beefier than ID4. Listeners will already have felt this but reading along the score basically confirms this.

When I was reading along with the score, I often felt like I was reading along to Richard Strauss's "Salome" or "Elektra". Partly due to the crazy horn writing. But those scores (and much of Strauss's work anyway), are filled with moments seldom found in other composers, moments which make you go "I can't believe he got away with that!". ID4 is like this. Arnold/Dodd squeezed everything they could out of the romantic orchestra. We all know ID4 is a kind of Golden Age score, but it goes beyond the Golden Age, back to the slightly-deranged and slightly-overbearing maximalism of Strauss and Mahler. John Williams, though he writes richly-orchestrated scores, is too sane/disciplined/orderly to write like that (even his "complex" stuff has a very precise quality to it - same goes for Korngold). And I'm not saying that Arnold is the next Mahler. But in this score you can clearly see the composer going all the way, like the maximalists would. It's very un-minimalist.

In other words, I don't think there is a score out there that is more "well-laboured" than this. Of course that doesn't mean it's the best score evaarr, but it definitely translates to the most enjoyable score I've read in a long time.

I mean, just that percussion section...good God, I'm surprised they could all fit in one room. All I will say is that: I never knew Hospital Gongs and Nipple Gongs were a thing; I have to use more Ribbon Crasher in my pieces; but my favourite is the "Large Drum, Open Side w/ Plank Across (Large) Hit w/ Large Sledge Hammer" (fans of the score will immediately know what I'm talking about :whistle:)

Thanks for the write-up Loert. A new test of any professional percussionist should be whether or not they have a sledgehammer in their stick bag! 

10 hours ago, chrissiddall said:

Yes they are present, however in most cases there is a lot of duplication/only minor variation from the final cue, or they were in a less polished state, making their inclusion more of a curiosity than adding great value to the book.  Perhaps one day if we ever do a second edition we'll revisit the idea.

Thank you for the huge amount of work that went into the book @chrissiddall! This must have taken a long, long time. 

Just putting this out there...even if they're only curiosities, I'd totally shell out some cash for a Vol 2 of the non-revised cues! Seeing how early versions become revised is always interesting to me, and gives me some more insight into the composition process. But I can understand it not being appealing to some. 

this is my first sheet music book I've ordered and I have to thank you @chrissiddallalso on this board. I spent most of my free time on the weekend to listen and edit the music. It's really amazing! Thank you!

also thank you to @Jayfor his music sheet which helped me alot!!!! 

p.s.

....oh this sledge hammer xD

That colored graphic he made for Glory?  That's probably out of my skillset, at least to make presentable, but finding all theme locations is fun

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh, my google doc.  Never seen anyone refer to one of those as a "music sheet" before

@Jay out of interest, what was the source for the "final cues" list? These names don't all match what is on the manuscript.  Aside from "Parabolic Indenwhat?" which definitely sounds like a Matessino title to me, every cue had a title page/header which I reflected in the score book. 

I dunno, some decade old document @Trent B gave me.  I'm sure all the names in your book are accurate as to what Arnold put on the sheets, but sometimes official cue lists use different names than what the sheet music says

@chrissiddallThank you so much for this playlist - a question concerning the "Def-Con 3" cue: it doesn't sound like it's recorded by a real orchestra except for ending. Do you have any further information concerning this?

On 21/12/2021 at 7:22 PM, Kusi said:

@chrissiddallThank you so much for this playlist - a question concerning the "Def-Con 3" cue: it doesn't sound like it's recorded by a real orchestra except for ending. Do you have any further information concerning this?

Yup, this cue and "Welcome to Earth" are not on either of the OST releases but we're recorded/appear in the movie. I'm not sure why they weren't on the La La Land release. I've used my playback file from Sibelius (Noteperformer) in the meantime. 

• 6 months later...
On 01/07/2022 at 12:04 PM, chrissiddall said:

It's 4th of July weekend, so what better way to celebrate than to pick up David Arnold's iconic score (if you haven't already!)?

Enjoy a $10 discount on us.

bit.ly/CSMP_IFS-003

You're shipping from the UK, right? Asking with post-brexit import fees in mind...

2 hours ago, fommes said:

You're shipping from the UK, right? Asking with post-brexit import fees in mind...

Yes, UK here.  I think import fees are around 19 EUR according to some other customers.