It's a Wonderful Life - Dimitri Tiomkin (La-La Land 2021)

Disco Stu

In terms of content the only addition is the film version of the main title (which is hopefully not just sourced from the movie audio stem....) and the trailer music.  The track listing is re-ordered compared to the Kritzerland edition, apparently to more accurately reflect Tiomkin's intentions.  I wonder what that is based on, just the cue sheet he kept in his records or something?

The big question is how improved the audio may or may not be.  Either way, I'll be ordering at 3pm eastern this afternoon!

IAWL-HI-RES-Cover__20459.1637088076.1280.1280.jpg

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE: 75th ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED LIMITED EDITION
LLLCD 1575
Music by Dimitri Tiomkin
Limited Edition of 2000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $21.98

STARTS SHIPPING NOV 16

Order yours starting Nov 16 at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

La-La Land Records and Paramount Pictures proudly present a limited edition, remastered 75th anniversary CD release of renowned composer Dimitri Tiomkin’s (MEET JOHN DOE, GIANT, WILD IS THE WIND) original motion picture score to the 1946 Holiday classic IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE, starring James Stewart, Donna Reed and Lionel Barrymore, and directed by Frank Capra. Arguably the most famous and most seen American holiday film of all time features an equally classic score from Dimitri Tiomkin, one of cinema’s pioneering composer giants. An expert meld of romance, emotion, reflection, brooding darkness and playful joviality, the maestro’s legendary score returns on CD, remastered, and in time to mark the film’s 75th Anniversary.

Produced by Dan Goldwasser, restored and mastered by Chris Malone, and featuring art design by Goldwasser and new, in-depth liner notes by writer Frank K. DeWald, this special limited edition release of 2000 units features track sequencing that more accurately reflects Tiomkin’s original intensions. The presentation also includes the film version of the “Main Title” and music from the film’s trailer.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Main Title / Heaven 3:46
2. Ski Run 1:31
3. Death Telegram 1:59
4. Gower's Deliverance 2:03
5. George And Dad 1:45
6. Father's Death 0:30
7. Love Sequence 2:12
8. Dilemma 0:37
9. Bank Crisis 0:55
10. Wedding Cigars 0:41
11. George Lassoes Stork 2:03
12. This Is The Army, Mr. Jones / Dankgebet 2:20
13. Uncle Billy's Blunder 1:15
14. Search For Money 2:01
15. Potter's Threat 0:50
16. Clarence's Arrival 2:20
17. George Is Unborn 2:24
18. Haunted House (With Chorus) 2:40
19. Pottersville Cemetery 1:14
20. Wrong Mary Hatch / The Prayer 2:05
21. It's A Wonderful Life 3:24
22. Auld Lang Syne / End Title 0:53

BONUS TRACKS
23. It's A Wonderful Life (Vocal) 3:52
24. Main Title (Film Version) 1:16
25. Father's Death (Alternate) 0:21
26. Wedding March 0:51
27. Big Band 0:20
28. Haunted House (Alternate) 2:40
29. Pottersville Cemetery (Alternate – Without Chorus) 1:19
30. Auld Lang Syne (Alternate) 0:30
31. Trailer Music 1:03
TOTAL DISC TIME 51:43

This was a MAJOR hole in my "filmography" until I finally saw it some 5-6 years ago. I was not blown away with it or anything, but I respect the fact that it's a US holiday stalwart.

While I'm sure this new release is fine, how's the rerecording situation on this? Any recommendations?

I can understand that, if you've grown up with it and have seen it many times and it's your favourite movie and all that.

For me, though, without that connection, that Newman suite looks very interesting. Thanks for the tip!

It was a top ten favourite of mine for a while when I was a teenager. I remember buying it on video, not having seen it before, when Barry Norman included it in his book 100 Best Films of the Century. I don't have quite the same tolerance for its degree of sentimentality nowadays, so I don't think it will be in my own imaginary 100 Best Films book.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

This was a MAJOR hole in my "filmography" ...

Speaking of that, how's your Powell and Pressburger homework coming along?

13 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Gosh, still on the to see list.

If people can just stop making new movies for a week or two, I can catch up with the backlog. :)

12 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Aha! Funny you mention it, as they've been on my list for a while now and I've only just recently got around to ticking off a few (The Red Shoes, A Matter of Life and Death, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Black Narcissus, and The Small Back Room, in that order). Some of the greatest storytellers of all time, and I'm not even done going through their work! Next up: A Canterbury Tale and I Know Where I'm Going.

To stay on topic with the thread, I had never actually seen It's A Wonderful Life in full until last year, believe it or not. It's one of those ones that you always catch pieces of on television during the holidays, so I guess that might explain the delay. Tiomkin is also one of my favourite composers from this era so I should probably give this score a proper listen in the coming weeks. 

24 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I don't have quite the same tolerance for its degree of sentimentality

I am and always have been head over heels for the Capra touch.  He just makes me feel so good about other people, even if only for the runtime of the movie before it ends and my curmudgeonly scowl returns.

I like all those too!  Lubitsch especially.  I truly love every movie of his I've seen (which is almost of his sound films, only a few I haven't seen yet).  But not surprisingly my favorite Lubitsch movie is probably his most sentimental that also happens to star James Stewart.... ;) 

Comparing the samples with my own rip of the Kritzerland, I would say that the difference is noticeable if you're paying very close attention, there is more depth and definition to this LLL remaster in the lower end especially, but I would say the difference is not appreciable enough to double dip if you're not a committed diehard like myself.

It's a Fair-to-Middling Life - the Mike Leigh remake.

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

diehard

Now there's an idea! From a Bedford Falls / Nakatomi mashup, can we concoct the ultimate Christmas film?

Its-A-Wonderful-Life.jpeg

"Unfortunately your Uncle Billy did not see it this way, so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life."

I decided to be economical and I'm actually gonna wait until Black Friday to see what's announced before ordering this.  Why pay for shipping twice in a month?

5 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Haha -  yeah, that's probably my least favourite.

Gloin you're just a warped, frustrated old man!

3 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I find Sirk's style somewhat difficult to get along with at the surface level, but worth the effort because there's valuable (even ingenious) stuff buried just underneath it.

As always, form is content. And with Sirk, there's a lot of it.

On 16/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, Thor said:

...form is content.

Yeah, but a viewer's reaction to any film is inevitably influenced at the outset by more superficial aspects of the style and its relation to their personal taste. Sirk, like Capra, is a director whose work I sometimes find difficult to swallow. Hitchcock, too, while I'm being heretical...

1 minute ago, blondheim said:

I'm very excited for this release. Have we figured out why the track order changed a little and why yet? I'm very curious if this is Tiomkin's order and how they know vs. the Kritzerland

Only educated guesses. Unless one of the people who worked on it posts about it on FSM, we'll probably have to wait until someone has the liner notes.

46 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I'm very excited for this release. Have we figured out why the track order changed a little and why yet? I'm very curious if this is Tiomkin's order and how they know vs. the Kritzerland

Kritzerland , to their credit, try to present a curated listening experience.

They will join cues on scores like DTESS, unlike VS who just put every cue on the program.

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Only educated guesses. Unless one of the people who worked on it posts about it on FSM, we'll probably have to wait until someone has the liner notes.

Can't wait for those liner notes!

• 2 weeks later...