7m3 Yoda Raises the Ship - synth section

enderdrag64

I'm working on my own personal Isolated Score edit of The Empire Strikes Back where I'm editing the music to be exactly how its heard in the film. About 10 seconds into 7m3 Yoda Raises the Ship there's a very loud screech that sounds like its a synth that doesn't appear to be in the movie. You can hear it on both the Tomlinson mix and the Risner mix, although its much more pronounced on the 1993 Anthology's Tomlinson mix.

Anyone know what this is (alternate take, unused sweetener, etc.)? None of the score breakdowns I've read mention anything about it

Probably just mixed very quietly in the film (or perhaps even omitted?), I'd have to check to be sure though.

The 2018 "Remastered" set doesn't seem to include it at all though, unlike all of the other releases, or if it does it's mixed extremely quietly.

I also noticed just now that the 2016 release contains a somewhat "extended" version of the synth part, it lasts considerably longer. The previous releases had it fade out rather quickly.

EDIT Here's a comparison of all 3 of the main mixes (the Anthology and Special Edition mixes are basically identical):

1993 Anthology Boxset.flac

2016 Ultimate Digital Collection.flac

2018 Remaster.flac

20 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

I'm working on my own personal Isolated Score edit of The Empire Strikes Back where I'm editing the music to be exactly how its heard in the film. About 10 seconds into 7m3 Yoda Raises the Ship there's a very loud screech that sounds like its a synth that doesn't appear to be in the movie. You can hear it on both the Tomlinson mix and the Risner mix, although its much more pronounced on the 1993 Anthology's Tomlinson mix.

Anyone know what this is (alternate take, unused sweetener, etc.)? None of the score breakdowns I've read mention anything about it

Unrelated, but you do know where the film version of the End Credits is right? The Imperial March segment is different on all the albums except the anthology, I believe? Its located in the track 'Ewok Celebration (Film Version)/End Credits (Film Version)'. You'll just have to crossfade the opening of the End Credits from whichever album track of ESB's End Credits you use because of the choir from Ewok Celebration. I say this because it took a while for Manakin and I to figure out what they did for the film mix and where it was located.

1 hour ago, Brando said:

I say this because it took a while for Manakin and I to figure out what they did for the film mix and where it was located.

Tbf I did know where it was, I had just forgotten after all these years. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

after all these years. :lol:

When they release the complete scores in 50 years and we're trying to figure out where stuff is again because this time we legitimately forgot:lol:

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Probably just mixed very quietly in the film (or perhaps even omitted?), I'd have to check to be sure though.

The 2018 "Remastered" set doesn't seem to include it at all though, unlike all of the other releases, or if it does it's mixed extremely quietly.

I also noticed just now that the 2016 release contains a somewhat "extended" version of the synth part, it lasts considerably longer. The previous releases had it fade out rather quickly.

EDIT Here's a comparison of all 3 of the main mixes (the Anthology and Special Edition mixes are basically identical):

1993 Anthology Boxset.flac 1.82 MB · 3 downloads

2016 Ultimate Digital Collection.flac 1.77 MB · 3 downloads

2018 Remaster.flac 1.66 MB · 2 downloads

Oh interesting. Honestly I completely forgot the 2018 remaster existed. That version sounds very similar to the film version of the scene though. Does the 2018 remaster use the Tomlinson mixes?

2 hours ago, Brando said:

Unrelated, but you do know where the film version of the End Credits is right? The Imperial March segment is different on all the albums except the anthology, I believe? Its located in the track 'Ewok Celebration (Film Version)/End Credits (Film Version)'. You'll just have to crossfade the opening of the End Credits from whichever album track of ESB's End Credits you use because of the choir from Ewok Celebration. I say this because it took a while for Manakin and I to figure out what they did for the film mix and where it was located.

Oh cool thanks for the info! I haven't gotten there yet in my edit but when I do I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

23 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

A.R.P. Synthesizer. It’s not in the LTP score but in the original score.

4555499E-DE2E-474A-A196-CF2AF31F631C.png

9712C588-6420-4DC9-8718-AD0492134ECE.jpeg

3 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

A.R.P. Synthesizer. It’s not in the LTP score but in the original score.

4555499E-DE2E-474A-A196-CF2AF31F631C.png

9712C588-6420-4DC9-8718-AD0492134ECE.jpeg

Fascinating! I wonder if the film version was a different take without the synth or if they recorded it separately and dialed it out later.

Interesting they removed it from the later print of the sheets too. Wouldn't that kind of thing usually be considered a revision?

The printed score is the live-to-projection version.  Changes were made to facilitate performances by “local orchestras”.  For instance, also in Empire, at one point the original score calls for Wagner Tubas. Big city orchestras are more likely to have French Horn players who have their own Wagner Tubas, smaller orchestras are less likely.  So the LTP score changed the Wagner Tubas part to French Horns.