La-La Land Records Black Friday 2021

Jay

24 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Fifteen ?!😳

Yes. But maybe... I counted the Bernard Herrmann Phase IV seven disc box in. At least for the six discs with the suites. Then some Rozsa, some Waxman, some additional Herrmann and one Korngold.

But basically this was my Rozsa discovery year. And there exist some brillant recordings.

21 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Am I the only one who is completely surprised by the fact that the batch doesn't include any Goldsmith at 20th at all?

That's the two "big" releases that got delayed.

16 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't consider any Williams adaptation as a Williams score, so I'm not thrilled about this.

At least it's better than most other stuff we get served these days...

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Fifteen ?!😳

He's a very wealthy man.

Things like the Potter box, Star Trek: TMP, ET, Close Encounters and all the other grail releases they've given us are going to be very hard indeed to top. Still, although there's not much here I'm personally excited about (I might get Fiddler though), it seems like a decent mix of releases that are bound to satisfy a lot of collectors. Just maybe not this particular crowd ;)

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Is THOR getting FOTR?

I think he prefers Return of the King Fiddler.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

'The Diary of Anne Frank' is indeed a pleasant surprise (and a much better score than many of the more anticipated ones). Hope it's not mono.

Looking forward to checking this out.

Heck yeah - picking up Fiddler and Friday the 13th!  I actually have never owned Fiddler on the Roof - I’ve had my mom’s copy of the OST ripped onto my computer for decades - so I’ll be happy to pick this one up, especially with bits of Williams’ underscore.

Hopefully for my wallet’s sake they didn’t find better elements of the scores to Friday the 13th parts 2 through 6 as well!

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Heck yeah - picking up Fiddler and Friday the 13th!  I actually have never owned Fiddler on the Roof - I’ve had my mom’s copy of the OST ripped onto my computer for decades - so I’ll be happy to pick this one up, especially with bits of Williams’ underscore.

Hopefully for my wallet’s sake they didn’t find better elements of the scores to Friday the 13th parts 2 through 6 as well!

I’m not sure @Jay has ever owned a copy of Fiddler either 

Well said, @crocodile.

Personally speaking, a new, C&C, remastered edition of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF - with original music by John Williams, thank you very much! - is an instant buy.

If I went down to my local H.M.V., and saw this, I'd be dancing all over the store, never mind complaining!

Have we all come to expect too much?

Expressing disappointment is natural, but it often seems to be framed by the inherent assumption that it must contain a tentpole score to be worth something. I'm convinced some people really thought they were going to announce a new Hook out of nowhere.

I've been buying a ton of Game of Thrones albums the last few days, so I'm happy to have a breather till the new year :lol:

53 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Forgive me for being so direct but I've got something to get off my chest. Sorry if anyone takes it too personally... Just trying to reframe some things for you.

Those labels release what they can and when they can. Sure, I'd like to have my Willows and Indiana Jones out by now. But that's not the reality of it. So expressing displeasure or disappointment publicly on message boards or social media achieves absolutely nothing. They know what everyone wants and would give us just that right now if they could. Because it makes no financial sense for them to withdraw these things. They're not out of touch.

If you are not interested, just move along. No point of going public with negativity or letting everyone know how disinterested you are. No value in that. It only reinstates the point that the film music community is immature and spoiled.

If there's nothing in the batch then be grateful you get to save up more money for Christmas. Or save up for the upcoming titles you might actually want. Or get the titles you didn't get to buy earlier. Whatever. You're not actually losing anything here. Those "desired" titles will come when they will come. :) 

Karol

Thank you Karol

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Expressing disappointment is natural, but it often seems to be framed by the inherent assumption that it must contain a tentpole score to be worth something. I'm convinced some people really thought they were going to announce a new Hook out of nowhere.

I've been buying a ton of Game of Thrones albums the last few days, so I'm happy to have a breather till the new year :lol:

Nice! I bought them back in 2019. S3 was rather difficult to find as it was out or print at the time.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Nice! I bought them back in 2019. S3 was rather difficult to find as it was out or print at the time.

Yep, that's the one I got digitally, as for some reason it's going for ridiculous prices. 2 is also a bit pricier than the others but I'll get the CD anyway eventually. I wonder if anyone else has become a GoT music fan via Eternals :) 

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Forgive me for being so direct but I've got something to get off my chest. Sorry if anyone takes it too personally... Just trying to reframe some things for you.

De Acuerdo Agree GIF

My rundown of these:

As I've said elsewhere, I'm content with the 30th anniversary disc of FIDDLER.

FRIDAY 13th is not my cup of tea.

I think I sampled THE NEXT KARATE KID years and years ago (when the box came out?), but I'm willing to give it another shot. There's some great music in Conti's KARATE KID scores, but also some rather meandering stuff. We need to get Hillary Swank to do COBRA KAI!

THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK is a great score. I would have preferred a rerecording, but to my knowledge, none exists (feel free to correct me).

LOVE, ACTUALLY is the big takeaway here. I already have it in digital format.  I've never been a big fan of the movie, unlike everyone and their grandmother. I think I've seen it maybe once. The score is charming, for sure, but it needs some serious whittling/re-organization to work as a listening experience. The super short cues don't add much (and don't feel organic to the whole as a T. Newman score often does), so I'll add it to the long queue of whittling projects.

I have the 30th anniversary of Fiddler On The Roof but don’t listen to it much. I’ll probably get this since Mike Matessino worked on it.

I am excited the Diary of Anne Frank is finally released.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

As I've said elsewhere, I'm content with the 30th anniversary disc of FIDDLER.

There's a good chance the sound is gonna be significantly improved compared to the 30th anniversary edition, and on the new OST presentation there's one track less which should be be a good thing. :)

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's a good chance the sound is gonna be significantly improved compared to the 30th anniversary edition,

Thor doesn't care about sound quality, his brain instantly normalises the release he latches onto to "sounds good enough to me, I don't care how much better it could sound".

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

and on the new OST presentation there's one track less

Not the OST, that's the expanded tracklist, the bonus unused track was moved to somewhere else.

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

Thor doesn't care about sound quality, his brain instantly normalises the release he latches onto to "sounds good enough to me, I don't care how much better it could sound".

With some modifications, that is more or less true, yes.

9 hours ago, Steve said:

Wow. I will never see Images for example but can still enjoy the music.

Yeah, that grunting!

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Plus you'll get the good version of the cover. :)

I doubt bolle cares much about cover art.

My thoughts

Fiddler - instabuy

Diary of Anne Frank - unfamiliar (never even seen the movie), will listen to samples

Next Karate Kid - unfamiliar (never even seen the movie), will listen to samples

Friday The 13th - I have seen all the old movies, and know I won't enjoy any of their scores outside of them

Love Actually - Seen the movie and like it; Do not remember anything about it's original score.  Will check out the album on Spotify

Huge title #1 - can't wait to find out what this is

Huge title #2 - can't wait to find out what this is

I assume the batch was hoped to be Fiddler, Frank, Love Actually, and the two huge titles, and then Friday the 13th and Karate Kid were moved forward from January to now when it was clear the huge ones wouldn't be ready

Looks like LLL actually had 4 titles planned for 2021 delayed into 2022 - LLLCD 1572, 1577, 1579, and 1583 are all not revealed yet.

Every other catalog number  through 1584 is out

Love Actually finally popped up on Spotify and I've definitely heard some of this before so I must've come across the promo at some point in the distant past - it's decent stuff. (which usually means that by the end of the evening I'll be considering buying it...)

Wonder what brought this onto LLL's radar?

I just started playing The Necklace, and started feeling that it was far too familiar, and it suddenly occurred to me that the famous 'giftwrap' scene with Rowan Atkinson and Alan Rickman is in this movie, and it's the cue for that scene :lol: My chances of actually buying this have shot up based on that alone...

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

I just started playing The Necklace, and it suddenly occurred to me that the famous 'giftwrap' scene with Rowan Atkinson and Alan Rickman is in this movie, and it's the cue for that scene :lol: My chances of actualy buying this have shot up based on that alone...

Haha, yes, I was always disappointed that cue wasn't on the promo. It's great to have it available now!

Before I realised where it was from, I was thinking that Armstrong was doing a great job making comedy music interesting (I usually find it dull as hell), then the piano at 1:25 came in, and I thought hang on....