La-La Land Records Black Friday 2021

Jay

39 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I just started playing The Necklace, and started feeling that it was far too familiar, and it suddenly occurred to me that the famous 'giftwrap' scene with Rowan Atkinson and Alan Rickman is in this movie

"Wzaat?"

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Yep, that's the one I got digitally, as for some reason it's going for ridiculous prices. 2 is also a bit pricier than the others but I'll get the CD anyway eventually. I wonder if anyone else has become a GoT music fan via Eternals :) 

Nice! S3 was really difficult to find. Eventually I found it second hand but barely used for 20 euros! It's one of my favorite season scores!

On Amazon and discogs S3 is going between £45 and £80 :o I paid £13 via 7Digital.

It's a mystery why only that one album is rare. S1 was the only other one that took a bit of hunting to pay a 'normal' price for. Oh well, I just got S2 from Amazon so that's the lot. I've had them on Spotify the last few days and they play so well as albums. (which is a testament as I've never seen the show)

With these, and potentially Love Actually, and also rather liking Daniel Pemberton's The Rescue, I'm kinda glad no other huge LLL releases were of interest just for now.

6 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

On Amazon and discogs S3 is going between £45 and £80 :o I paid £13 via 7Digital.

It's a mystery why only that one album is rare. S1 was the only other one that took a bit of hunting to pay a 'normal' price for. Oh well, I just got S2 from Amazon so that's the lot. I've had them on Spotify the last few days and they play so well as albums. (which is a testament as I've never seen the show)

With these, and potentially Love Actually, and also rather liking Daniel Pemberton's The Rescue, I'm kinda glad no other huge LLL releases were of interest just for now.

i think season three was released by water tower and not varese like the other 7 seasons 

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

Nice! S3 was really difficult to find. Eventually I found it second hand but barely used for 20 euros! It's one of my favorite season scores!

I have seasons 2 ,3,4.5,7

Those are the best imho 😁

Iirc three Bond titles are expected next year.

So, does that leaves one " biggie"?

22 hours ago, crocodile said:

Forgive me for being so direct but I've got something to get off my chest. Sorry if anyone takes it too personally... Just trying to reframe some things for you.

Those labels release what they can and when they can. Sure, I'd like to have my Willows and Indiana Jones out by now. But that's not the reality of it. So expressing displeasure or disappointment publicly on message boards or social media achieves absolutely nothing. They know what everyone wants and would give us just that right now if they could. Because it makes no financial sense for them to withdraw these things. They're not out of touch.

If you are not interested, just move along. No point of going public with negativity or letting everyone know how disinterested you are. No value in that. It only reinstates the point that the film music community is immature and spoiled.

If there's nothing in the batch then be grateful you get to save up more money for Christmas. Or save up for the upcoming titles you might actually want. Or get the titles you didn't get to buy earlier. Whatever. You're not actually losing anything here. Those "desired" titles will come when they will come. :) 

Karol

Excuse me, but I'm not just posting things if I'm over the moon about something.

And the film music world is not spoiled, we are not all Jerry Goldsmith fans. Also, I respectfully want to say this:

In 2020, I got Far and Away and HTTYD and that was a terrible year in the world. In 2021, the supposed flood of delayed releases has given me absolutely nothing. Nothing. And I have friends who share that opinion. So please forgive me for being less than enchanted by the 'huge titles' being moved to 2022. 

13 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I have seasons 2 ,3,4.5,7

Those are the best imho 😁

I just own the Prague sampler with the nice wolf/crow cover and the score of season 7. That one was the musical highpoint for me. Still I don't like the main theme.

Compared to how few people worldwide* care about purchasing film scores I feel incredibly lucky that so much care and hard work is put into all of these releases. We are a demographic that could easily be ignored.

*I do think there a lot of film-music-enthusiasts who only download scores illegally, though. The niche seems to be actually paying for scores, rather than being a fan of them.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I just own the Prague sampler with the nice wolf/crow cover and the score of season 7. That one was the musical highpoint for me. Still I don't like the main theme.

I didn't like the main theme at all until recently. It feels far too simplistic, but not quite possessing the memorable qualities that his Eternals melodies have.

Hearing all the variations across the various albums improved my opinion of it somewhat, but I still think it's merely a functional theme. There are far better melodies in the score itself.

I received S1, 5 and 7 today (three more to arrive and I've got the lot). Might give the Prague sampler a 'spin' to see if it has any interesting variations, however I'm still very much in the discovery phase.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Excuse me, but I'm not just posting things if I'm over the moon about something.

And the film music world is not spoiled, we are not all Jerry Goldsmith fans. Also, I respectfully want to say this:

In 2020, I got Far and Away and HTTYD and that was a terrible year in the world. In 2021, the supposed flood of delayed releases has given me absolutely nothing. Nothing. And I have friends who share that opinion. So please forgive me for being less than enchanted by the 'huge titles' being moved to 2022. 

Both yours and crocodile's comments are fair, and I think simply an indication that a 'big title' is different for everyone, and unless we want the labels to refrain from commenting at all on the prominence of titles they have coming up to avoid hyping us up, we're all going to feel let down occasionally.

I got a handful in 2020 (nothing earth-shattering) and this year I got lucky (Varese, Intrada and Sony coincidentally working on three of my grails), so I'd say without doubt that the 'great flood' didn't reach me either - assuming that the 'flood' was MV referring to what LLL was prepping.

And FWIW, I don't care about Goldsmith either.

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Can't believe a fan of GOT scores has never seen the show.!

But, it does prove that a CURATED score, arranged for listening pleasure,has a bigger audience than ACOC

Yep. I'm sure there's a market for much longer releases though (not me).

On 27/11/2021 at 11:24 AM, bollemanneke said:

I can fully understand what you mean. I just happen to disagree with it being worth moaning about. It is really not that important of a thing. Peace, bro! :)

Karol

On 26/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, Bespin said:

Alfred... my God, Alfred... one day I'll open this Pandora box, but I'm not ready yet.

Same for me. Apart from the Gerhardt album I own just one Alfred Newman album, Wuthering Heights. The music is beautiful, but the sound is really bad. This album was one of the reasons why I decided for such old scores rather to look for re-recordings.

But this one seems to be well restored. 

8 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Same for me. Apart from the Gerhardt album I own just one Alfred Newman album, Wuthering Heights. The music is beautiful, but the sound is really bad. This album was one of the reasons why I decided for such old scores rather to look for re-recordings.

Time to plug my HTWWW playlist.

Alfred Newman is hit and miss for me (I mean, he always wrote quality stuff, but by far not everything is all that interesting for me personally), but The Robe is certainly one of his must haves, even if the sound quality isn't perfect.

Anne Frank is one of these "sure, it's nice enough" scores for me, at least on the old album. Although the talk of significant sound improvements has gotten me at least slightly interested in the new version.

I don’t visit FSM anymore, really, but I believe there was a very loud contingent who begged LLL for that Newman score and continually bugged MV for status, so this is a holy grail release for a certain brand of golden age listener.  A perfect Black Friday release!

Well, MV himself announced LLL was doing Diary of Anne Frank in 2016, here: https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=115151

And provided an update about it in 2019, here: https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=134710