CONCERT: Return of the Jedi (Bath, November 2021)

bollemanneke

Hi guys,

As requested, a review of my ROTJ live experience.

This was my first film concert in the UK. I’d read lots of favourable reviews about them in general and it couldn’t possibly be worse than that Harry Potter crap I just went to in Antwerp, so I was obviously looking forward to it.

We arrived out of breath after having walked to the venue for 30 minutes. The guy at the entrance was adamant that he saw every single ticket before letting anyone enter. I never knew people tried to gate-crash these things, but what do you know? Once there, the seating arrangements turned out to be so great that we didn’t even have to wear masks. Yeah, take that, Belgium…

Then the orchestra arrived and we all gave them a very warm applause, to which the conductor said ‘the force is strong in Bath’. He also said we were allowed to cheer and clap during our favourite character and music moments too. I know JW doesn’t like it, but honestly, why not? It’s great! Why should we be quiet, to hear every syllable of the profound dialogue? We clapped when Solo thanked Luke and when the Emperor was finally thrown into the fire. What an annoying guy that is. Also, is this the moment to wonder why on earth JW remained attached to this crap for so long?

The orchestra itself was amazing. Our seats were also just perfect. I could hear the first violins on my left, the trumpets on my right etc. It was all amplified, but at least it wasn’t being processed through one pathetic speaker. We had stereo sound. It’s very hard for me to describe what it feels like when you hear the Star Wars fanfare played live for the very first time as well. Suffice it to say that surround sound is overrated.

Then the movie began. Can I just say again that it’s absolute garbage? How this franchise survived this long is simply beyond me. What was the actors’ brief anyway? ‘Okay, whatever you do, always sound like you don’t give a shit.’ I think the highlight today was Leia going ‘But these are my friends!’ in a voice that clearly suggested she would have been absolutely fine to see them skinned alive. Terrible, terrible. Half of the dialogue was drowned by the music, but I obviously couldn’t care less about that. Yoda’s death was so beautiful to listen to and I heard loads of little things you just don’t hear on the DVD. My very favourite moment, when Luke finally gets enough of the Emperor’s bitching, was played a little too softly, and there also wasn’t a choir, but I didn’t mind the latter at all since the strings were so outstanding.

Finally, some notes about the score itself: the second half opened with a great mini suite that, among other things, contained Yoda’s theme in E major on brass. Did JW write this? And the Ewok celebration was arranged for orchestra! First brass choir, then strings. Really fantastic. And I could have sworn that the guy on the keyboard also played Jabba’s baroque recital, and if he didn’t, it sounded really seamless. Someone also found it necessary to crank up the volume during the final section of the end credits. And speaking of volume, what IS it with trumpets? They’re ear-splitting!

Well, that’s all I can say, really. Oh, no, wait, we went straight to an Irish session after that, Which was great, as usual. And even it if hadn’t been great, I’d still have gone to it before people got crazy ideas again. Search your feelings, you know I’m right. Good, good. Let the hatred flow through you. Strike me down and complete your training. I am defenceless. Somehow, somehow you’ve known all along.