Christophe Beck and Michael Paraskevas' HAWKEYE (2021)

Here's a thread to talk about this very nice Christmas score from Christophe Beck and Michael Paraskevas.

Apparently the score will be released in two volumes like Loki an Falcon and the Winter Soldier, the first one being set for December 10 and the second one for December 24.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marvel.com/amp/articles/tv-shows/save-the-city-hawkeye-avengers-rogers-musical-song

• 2 weeks later...

Damned those 6 episodes shows, we seems to always get two volumes, which is better than nothing for sure but largely less interresting than the 9 episodes shows which get an album per episode.

Still I'm going to listen to this album closely as I love the music in that show.

7 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Damned those 6 episodes shows, we seems to always get two volumes, which is better than nothing for sure but largely less interresting than the 9 episodes shows which get an album per episode.

Still I'm going to listen to this album closely as I love the music in that show.

Personally I prefer the two volumes, because it's much easier on my wallet, although I do miss the days when one could just buy a while season once once it finishes airing.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Two Hawkeye threads... Maybe we should merge the two?

One for score, one for the show, seems business as usual to me.

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

Btw I really appreciate them referencing Yelena's theme from the BW movie in the latest episode.

Hope they use more in the last episodes when she shows up. And of course that they're on the album.

2 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Btw I really appreciate them referencing Yelena's theme from the BW movie in the latest episode.

I loved that reference.  It's weird, if you had asked me a week ago what any themes from Black Widow were I wouldn't have been able to hum any, but I recognized it immediately in the episode.

26 minutes ago, Toa_of_Pi said:

It's weird, if you had asked me a week ago what any themes from Black Widow were I wouldn't have been able to hum any, but I recognized it immediately in the episode.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. It was a nice reference to LB's score.

Wow, Beck used Yelena's theme a lot in episode 5.

I think of all the composers in the MCU, Beck is maybe the best in using themes from other composers. They're very subtle mostly, but they always make an impact.

- Ant-Man: Silvestri's Avengers & Jackman's Falcon Theme

- WandaVision: Giacchino's Doctor Strange

- Hawkeye: Balfe's Yelena

I think it's great that the MCU does this more often.

8 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I think of all the composers in the MCU, Beck is maybe the best in using themes from other composers. They're very subtle mostly, but they always make an impact.

Don't forget about Avengers theme appearing in WandaVision

Karol

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I haven't seen anybody mention the use (twice!) of Silvestri's Only For You (Infinity War) / Not Good (Endgame) 'sacrifice' theme in Hawkeye episode 4 when Clint and Kate are talking at the apartment, and later again when Kate gets thrown from the roof. I thought this was far more subtle and effective compared to the rather on-the-nose use of Balfe's Black Widow theme.

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Balfe also used Silvestri's Avengers at the end of Black Widow. Same with Giacchino in Homecoming if I recall correctly.

But yeah it's good to have more use of ancient title instead of rewriting new themes at each movie or Mothersbaugh's use harpsichord for Strange in Ragnarok

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

I haven't seen anybody mention the use (twice!) of Silvestri's Only For You (Infinity War) / Not Good (Endgame) 'sacrifice' theme in Hawkeye episode 4 when Clint and Kate are talking at the apartment, and later again when Kate gets thrown from the roof. I thought this was far more subtle and effective compared to the rather on-the-nose use of Balfe's Black Widow theme.

I actually missed that. Good catch.

I hear the moment in the fight. But I can't place it in their conversation. Do you have a timestamp for when in the episode?

52 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Found it...in the show at least. It's at 22:49 in episode 8.

Karol

Oh of course. It's on the album. I know that. Dumb.

It's on the track 'The Mind Stone' at 1:46

Unless I am missing something due to an nonchronological order, it seems like most of the tracks will just play in the last episode

(That sadly also cuts out half of the Yelena themes. Which would be a pity)

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

I'm glad the episode 5 end credits music has made the cut - the final track, Quiver Bells.

@JNHFan2000 could use another chronological list once you've seen the last episode!

I'll be doing that tomorrow afterthe last episode. Because it's not chronological from what I can see from a first glance.

Hawkeye, Vol. 2 Chronological Order

Episode 4

No Words (00:00-03:03) (03:03-end not used)

Barton Funk

Dustup On A Housetop (There's a little bongo part after the 'Not Good' reprise that's not on the album)

Episode 5

Arrival And Return

Tiny Bow

Yuletide Fray

Quiver Bells

Episode 6

Bone & Marrow

Star Of Wonder

A Christmas Peril

Wreck The Halls (extended in episode)

Ruckus Around The Christmas Tree

Give 'Em Hell

Archer Enemies

I'm Sorry

Natasha

Lady Hawk

Save The City is shown all the way at the end in full song form

24 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

Yuletide Fray and Barton funk also have a slighly bigger leadin in the show, but nothing significant (like 20 seconds or so)

Indeed, but because they were so short I didn't mention it

I also noticed the Fighting for Toys track played for a bit in the last episode (right after the Give Em Hell track)

Makes me wonder if anything else got repurposed here and there

26 minutes ago, John F said:

What a fun score. Loving this even more then Far From Home which surprises me. Nice to have several Yelana’s themes too. 

Plus the cue Natasha uses 'Natasha's Lullaby' for almost the entire cue

I appreciate the amount of music they are putting out on these multi-releases, but it’s too much to listen to it all regularly. Still, at least the option of choice is there, my suggestion being:

01. Hawkeye’s Theme (1:49)
02. 2012 (2:50)
03. Clock Tower Mishap (1:57)
04. Sincerity (1:29)
05. Carol Of The Buy And Sells (3:17)
06. Action At The Auction (4:00)
07. In Like Clint (2:06)
08. Bows Of Holly (:52)
09. Mistletoe To Toe (2:42)
10. Maya’s Theme (4:11)
11. Fighting Over Toys (3:21)
12. Sorry Santa (3:37)
13. Do You Hear What I Fear? (2:13)
14. Barton Funk (2:08)
15. Dustup On A Housetop (4:23)
16. Tiny Bow (2:56)
17. Bone And Marrow (1:22)
18. Star Of Wonder (1:51)
19. A Christmas Peril (4:08)
20. Wreck The Halls (4:08)
21. Give ‘Em Hell (3:03)
22. I’m Sorry (2:02)
23. Lady Hawk (1:43)

24. Quiver Bells (1:55)

1:03:52

On 28/11/2021 at 8:36 PM, GerateWohl said:

At the action scene in the wine cellar the theme was exactly this melody from a Georgian traditional:

I seem to remember you recently said you don't listen to the non-JW songs on the Home Alone OST... ;)

47 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Did anybody understand, why they permanently used Tschaikowsky's nutcracker music? Did that reference make any sense? I think, it was the dance of the sugar plum fairy that they used. But why??

The whole Nutcracker play is a christmas tradition at this point.

You know, I was honestly not paying much attention to the score until this final episode and I really enjoyed what I heard. Particularly the little sequence where they're making the arrows ("Bone & Marrow" I believe). Reminded me of the spirit of Home Alone's "Setting The Trap"...I mean it was likely intentional since it's clearly also based off Carol of the Bells. 

But anyways, thought it was a fun reference.

14 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

The whole Nutcracker play is a christmas tradition at this point.

Thanks. So, just a christmas reference. That is what I thought as well. But just wanted to be sure.

Since Williams' Home Alone score was heavily inspired by that, this actually gave the Hawkeye score a Home Alone vibe. Corresponded with the action on the screen.