Christopher Lennertz's LOST IN SPACE (2018-2021)

FunnyML

I really like it. Wish there was more music released, though.

Anybody figured out the correct order of the album and which episode the cues belong to? Here's what I think:

Episode 01: 02,04,03,27,05,09

Episode 02: 07,23

Episode 03: 10

Episode 04: 11,12,13

Episode 05: 15

Episode 06: 17,25,24

Episode 07: 29,16

Episode 08: 19

Episode 09: -

Episode 10: 18,20,21

Cues not ordered:

06. Danger Will Robinson

08. To The Chariot

14. Maureen At Work

26. Cheering Up Will

28. Launch

3 hours ago, toothless said:

Don't want to watch the show but I really like the soundtrack !!

You're missing out. The show is really good. The soundtrack, however, I didn't care much for.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

You're missing out. The show is really good. The soundtrack, however, I didn't care much for.

Why not?  I loved it.  I enjoyed the tip of the hat to the original plus the adventurous retro style.

Ok, so two episodes in and it’s a good show. Plot wise I guess it’s not great, and the dialogue is a bit hammy, but it’s good. It’s ok.

What really is stellar though is the score. Symphonic and cinematic! Sweeping and engaging. At least in the context of the show. It really puts other shows to shame, and I’d like to argue a lot of movies as well. Symphonic scores are alive and well! Thank you Christopher Lennertz!

Now, I’m too unfamiliar with JW’s original Lost In Space music to be able to pick out any reference. It’s my understanding that JW wrote two themes for LIS back in the day, and that Lennertz’s new main title features both of them prominently. During the show, the first on is used less in favor of the second.

Anyone with better knowledge of JW’s original score care to comment on the adaptation?

I don't hear Williams first season theme in the new Main Titles

And Williams composed a ton of motifs for his original scores (he only wrote 4 episode scores ). I haven;;t listened to the new music to hear any references to them

I've finished the show, and really like it. A bit in the style of the underrated EARTH 2. Hoping for a season 2!

As for the score, however, I'm less impressed. I like the references to the JW theme, but a lot of the underscore otherwise comes off as rather "giacchinoesque" chords that go nowhere. It's all big and symphonic, but there's very little heart of structure or thematic finesse. So it gets a 'meh' from me.

21 hours ago, karelm said:

Why not?  I loved it.  I enjoyed the tip of the hat to the original plus the adventurous retro style.

Copied from the thread over on the other side (a bit confusing with TWO threads on the same topic here):

As for the score, however, I'm less impressed. I like the references to the JW theme, but a lot of the underscore otherwise comes off as rather "giacchinoesque" chords that go nowhere. It's all big and symphonic, but there's very little heart of structure or thematic finesse. So it gets a 'meh' from me.

I'm old, so I wasn't a kid at the time. More in my late teens. But yeah, fine show that was cut off way too early. Great music by David Bergaud too (unreleased, other than promo stuff).

Well yea, I was 15 when it was on.  I remember Sunday nights featured SeaQuest DSV, Earth 2, and Lois & Clark: New Adventures of Superman!

So I hear the new show is just boring? Multiple sources. Still early days so I wouldn't call it just yet, but the fact that it displays on KIDS Netflix isn't exactly encouraging.

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

So I hear the new show is just boring? Multiple sources. Still early days so I wouldn't call it just yet, but the fact that it displays on KIDS Netflix isn't exactly encouraging.

Not boring at all. Easy to binge. And while it's no doubt aimed at the whole family, it's surprisingly dark on occasion.

On 4/6/2018 at 6:29 PM, Thor said:

Listening to the soundtrack now. It's all big and rambunctious and traditionally orchestral (so I'm sure it will please the 'reactionary crowd'), but it doesn't do much for me, I'm afraid. Kinda directionless bombast, like a Giacchino score (but slightly better). Could be because I don't gravitate very much towards that kind of score anymore, I don't know. Some of the more lowkey tracks are fine, though. So far, I can hear no references to Williams' theme or themes beyond the brief cameo in the title sequence.

Directionless is indeed a good description.

Yes, it’s a kids’ show. So is most of the pop cultural phenomena we consume today. Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar...

Still entertaining though!

And the music might not be all engaging throughout. I read complaints that is was mindless droning. Perhaps. But keep in mind it’s a TV series. By definition, they move slow plot wise. It makes sense to me that the music would match the pace.

However, there’s a wonderful musical section in Episode 2, which is melodic, energetic and has a distinct classical feel to it. It stands out. I mean, not just in the show... blockbusters beg to have this music written for them! It’s Williams-y but you can tell it’s not written by him.

That piece is what made me realize that the show sounds like no other, kids show or not.

Another small thing I like with the score is when Lennertz utilizes more or less the same chord structures as in the JW theme, but then plays around with it. But you know that when the references to the actual theme or the chord structure of that theme is the best thing about a score, it's a warning sign.

On 02 April 2018 at 8:38 PM, Jay said:

I don't understand what you mean.

EDIT: And now you've added to your post making my reply seem silly

Of course they don't burn episodes to DVDR and snail mail them out to reviewers.  They email them a link to a private, monitored, watermarked digital stream.

Yes, I did that about two minutes after my initial post ;)

Thanks to your and Thor's explanation, I now understand. It was a head-scratcher is all.

"It's playing dress-up, musically, every day."

He GETS it!

I want him and Murray Gold scoring films, NOW.  OK, I want him to score more Lost in Space.  But AFTER that.

On 17/04/2018 at 6:04 PM, Thor said:

Watched the first episode and it's a great start I must admit ;)

• 1 month later...
On 2018-04-19 at 10:51 AM, rough cut said:

However, there’s a wonderful musical section in Episode 2, which is melodic, energetic and has a distinct classical feel to it. It stands out. I mean, not just in the show... blockbusters beg to have this music written for them! It’s Williams-y but you can tell it’s not written by him.

That piece is what made me realize that the show sounds like no other, kids show or not.

This piece is on the album, it’s called “Family Chores Fugue.”

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the cues I heard Williams theme

Big statements in Danger Will Robinson and Dumping the Fuel.

Also the End Credits has a much longer statement than the Main Titles

It's woven into plenty of cues.  But Lennertz's main theme also bears some passing intervalic resemblance to it, particularly when being twisted into a minor key and so on, so it can be hard to distinguish them unless you're paying full attention.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave this a listen, really enjoyed it.

Some moments reminded me of David Arnold in action-music mode, and I really did like the way Lennertz blended Williams' season3 theme into the score.

Still haven't watched a moment of the show though.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Ah! I was beginning to wonder if and when that second season would show up.

Feels like it's been quite a while since the first.

True, but not terribly long compared to other shows I like. We've been waiting 3 years for a second season of TABOO now, for example.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

True, but not terribly long compared to other shows I like. We've been waiting 3 years for a second season of TABOO now, for example.

3 years nothing new without being cancelled? Wow!

• 1 year later...

Either my searching sucks or I can't believe nobody on this board is talking about this show or these scores.

The new trailer dropped today.

I'm listening to Season 1 again. Which is great. But 2 just totally blows it out of the water. I can hardly wait!

Just now, Tallguy said:

Either my searching sucks or I can't believe nobody on this board is talking about this show or these scores.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26464-lost-in-space-2018-christopher-lennertz

Listening to Season 2 yesterday and I realized that there is so much great stuff on it.

But John and Judy still blows me away.

Funny story. I got laid off from my job shortly before season 2 dropped on Netflix. I was doing a timed coding exercise for an interview and as always I was listening to music. And as was my habit that month I was listening to season 2 of Lost in Space. I almost gave myself a heart attack. Thrilling suspense music is not a good combination for high stress situations in real life.

I switched to the Gayane Ballet Suite and I was much better off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was about to watch the third season last night, but realized during the summary section in the beginning, I had forgotten most of the plot. That happens sometimes when it's been long since the last season. So I had to start all over with the first season, and I'll get to the third eventually. Not that bad, really, since the first is excellent (those first couple of episodes directed by Neil friggin' Marshall are great!).

As I've said elsewhere, there are bits and bobs in the score that are nice (obviously, the Williams theme references are neat), but a 50-minute playlist of all three seasons would suffice, I think.

Lennertz's Lost In Space scores are terrific. I would love for him to do a score like these for a big blockbuster. He really deserves to go all out with lots of themes and action!

11 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Lennertz's Lost In Space scores are terrific. I would love for him to do a score like these for a big blockbuster. He really deserves to go all out with lots of themes and action!

He kinda got a "big break" this year with the TOM & JERRY movie (even though I didn't really care much for the score). But yeah -- he's been kinda following the career trajectory of Theodore Shapiro with loads of inane comedies and sequels for most of his career. Would have loved to see him branch out in a big genre feature film of some sort. Alternatively some small indie film with lots of cred and an interesting musical pallette to work with.

My son has a hard time telling the difference between JW's Lost in Space theme and Jurassic Park. (Like some people do with Star Wars and Superman.) There is a piano arrangement of the LiS theme this season that has me starting to see what he means. :D

We watched Hawkeye last night, but tonight it's on to Lost in Space. (Or as my brother calls it "We're F*cked in Space" because it's all peril, all the time.)

@Thor I watched a season 2 recap last night and I'm glad I did. There was a lot of that season that I forgot about.  It was one of those "things that happened right before COVID".

Spoiler

I remembered most of the stuff with the family and Smith and Don, but somehow forgot about Scarecrow.

Most Netflix shows have a recap of the prior season, it just doesn't auto-start when you begin the new season, you have to go into "trailers and more" and manually play it

Listening to this now and really enjoying it. Sometimes it sounds like Lennertz has a David Arnold-ish forceful drive to his action writing that I really like. 

Trying to catch each cameo of JW theme so I can add those tracks to my "other composers using a JW theme" playlist.