Call to Champions (Arab FIFA 2021 Fireworks Piece)

ocelot

Congrats! I bet many composers would wish to have their music accompany a show like that :)

Would you care to share what styles were you thinking about while coming up with this? I am hearing some good ol' orientalism like Borodin/Saint-Saens/Nielsen, but also some marks of Williams' Indy and prequel music. Funnily enough Williams would write such music for rather menacing imagery such as a dangerous chase or a march of bad guys, so the display of pyrotechnics comes across as more on the wild / dangerous side - which I totally dig!

I come from the world of Classical Music (oboe player) however it's usually Ravel, early Stravinsky, Richard Strauss, Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Rimsky Korsakov, Vaughan Williams and Puccini amongst others then in Film music it's Korngold, Steiner, Waxman, Friedhoffer, Goldsmith and Williams, and, yes of course, I am pretty influenced by Williams as much as everyone else, although I do love me some Borodin and Saint-Saens, and many others....

As for it sounding menacing. I sort of didn't want to write anything happy as it's the last piece in the opening ceremonies and a call to battle so to speak (soccer/fotball wise that is) You are battling the other nations till one stands above all as the winner so I went more call to arms than most would do probably, lol

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, ocelot said:

Another of the pieces I wrote for the opening ceremonies that was part of the score x

Arab FIFA Opening Ceremonies - Migrant Birds

Nice, and with interesting harmonies. At several moments during the piece I'm reminded of Across the Stars. :)

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice, and with interesting harmonies. At several moments during the piece I'm reminded of Across the Stars. :)

Same here. It's a bit like if SCHINDLER'S LIST and "Across the Stars" got together and had a child. But very nice piece, ocelot! Good work!

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Maybe you should be the one scoring Kenobi :lol:

Hey I'd do a bit better job than some recent people when it comes to making an orchestra work, lol

Tafta Hindi "Variation NBA"

Here's the audio file for the first piece

Arab FIFA Opening Ceremonies - Call to Champions 

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The attachment is unavailable.

Fixed. I'm awful at computers lol, the link for that one is back above your post Titled Tafta Hindi Variation NBA x

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice!

Then we can at least expect more orchestral music from you. ;)

I only write at the piano and then I orchestrate it into finale until the orchestral recording in a huge studio. I mostly write for 90+ piece orchestra so it always has to be in a large studio like Air studios in London with the Philharmonia Orchestra or at Katara Opera House with the Qatar Philharmonic x

Somehow, this thread completely escaped me until now, but wow, am I impressed, @ocelot! This music has a strong JW feel (and I mean that as a serious compliment) and I love the orchestral colors you bring out!

This must have been an exciting commission and I hope it opens the door to more for you. Is there a recording of the whole six-part suite we could get somewhere??

25 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Somehow, this thread completely escaped me until now, but wow, am I impressed, @ocelot! This music has a strong JW feel (and I mean that as a serious compliment) and I love the orchestral colors you bring out!

This must have been an exciting commission and I hope it opens the door to more for you. Is there a recording of the whole six-part suite we could get somewhere??

Thanks :) The Tafta Hindi one (the fast paced one) is not part of the 6 part suite but I can put them up here since they aren't released officially anywhere yet. Most are just 15 secs etc, one of them is a backing to a vocal so no point having it up here too, but there are three others I can share :) The Opening Fanfare which is the 15 second one, then two parts to an old mythological philosopher in the Middle East called Juhha. One sec, I will put them up one by one since I am so clumsy with computers x

Arab FIFA Opening Ceremonies - Fanfare

Arab FIFA Opening Ceremonies - Juhha's Intro

Arab FIFA Opening Ceremonies - Juhha pt. 2

So in this 5 it goes 1. Fanfare, 2. Juhha's Intro, 3. Juhha Part 2, 4. Migrant Birds, 5. Call to Champions 

Thank you for even asking xox

Also if you want to hear any of my longer pieces or other shorter ones, let me know xox

49 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

have you composed any other such Romantic pieces? I would be interested to hear some more :)

This is from a recording session of Death of Koschei the Deathless, part of an 11 minute piece. Was called Baba Yaga at the recording session then I changed it as I’m expanding it. 

Another section from right after the opening of the fanfare from Death of Koschei the Deathless (AKA Baba Yaga). Same theme as the slow one up there but faster and not developed yet.

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Nice music ocelot!

Thank you so much for the compliment and likes and everything x I used to be so shy about sharing my work but now years later I'm like, either someone likes it or not. Music is subjective so it's all good :)