Michael Giacchino & Nami Melumad's THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER (2022)

Jay

5 hours ago, Gibster said:

Haven’t heard anything. The theme released friday is used a lot and some very similar spider man stuff

Will see the movie later today, but after listening the album, I have the feeling that MG is using a similar string loop (an intentional nod?) with Doyle's Thor theme to represent Thor. 

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

There are no tracks credited only to Melumad

That's probably because she's using Giacchino's themes, but I suspect she otherwise composed those 11 cues on her own.

Does Qobuz have An American Pickle with a similar breakdown, by any chance?

Yavar

2 hours ago, Jay said:

On the qobuz page, you can open up each track to see which tracks Melumad is credited on

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/thor-love-and-thunder-michael-giacchino/p5pzhwk4l4v2a

There are no tracks credited only to Melumad

That's strange, because Spotify tells me that three of them are actually Nami solo:

The Not Ready For New Asgard Players [MG/NM]

A Gorr Phobia [MG/NM]

We're Not Emos We're Gods [NM]

The Zeus Fanfares [NM]

I Was In The Pool! [NM]

Utter Lunarcy [MG/NM]

Temple-itis [MG/NM]

Surely, Temple [MG/NM]

The Power of Thor Propels You [MG/NM]

Foster? I Barely Know Her! [MG/NM]

One Wish To Rule Them All [MG/NM]

Streaming services are starting to confuse me if this and Obi-Wan can't seem to be fully consistent across platforms for composer credits.

21 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

That's strange, because Spotify tells me that three of them are actually Nami solo:

We're Not Emos We're Gods [NM]

The Zeus Fanfares [NM]

I Was In The Pool! [NM]

You're absolutely correct!  I was reading the qobuz info wrong - it actually jives with what spotify says.  Updated my list above!

The score really fails to make an impression in the movie. The suite that was released as a single is more interesting than anything in the film - and the suite isn't even in the film!

There's a neat guitar/rock/metal version of the Marvel logo theme (which I assume isn't on the album), and the most memorable music is the "sad Gorr" stuff ("Just Desert").

27 minutes ago, Anthony said:

There's a neat guitar/rock/metal version of the Marvel logo theme (which I assume isn't on the album)

:(

Can't say the score very prominent in the mix, save for a couple of moments, but it wasn't bad. 

I really enjoyed the movie too. :)

Karol

So, despite being a comedian, Waititi inspired some of Gia's least entertaining scores of his career. I don't think even Giacchino diehards would put Jojo Rabbit among their favorites, and this new Thor, despite having a decent main theme, is overall a little boring.

Also, I couldn't hear any similarities with his Spiderman scores, just the usual "Giacchino-isms" that are present in almost any score of his.

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Also, I couldn't hear any similarities with his Spiderman scores, just the usual "Giacchino-isms" that are present in almost any score of his.

Yeah, I'm not sure what similarities other people claim to hear. This is probably Gia's weakest Marvel effort (and saying that, I don't think much of Far From Home).

The new Theme is used for Thor and Jane. That new theme is great but besides some nice piano arrangements of it there isn’t really anything interesting in the score. The new theme is really great though

A little disappointing that the Ballad cue at the end of the album wasn't another suite of sorts, but more like a montage.

Score is fine. But the Hammer suite is the only cue I will be revisiting again after this, I think.

Saw the film yesterday. I think one of the problems of the score is that, as many before it, the main important scenes are tracked by popular songs. The only big scene scored i think is the arrival of thor jane, and it is effective. (I think the idea was to replicate wonder womans arrival on BvsS)

The music is not bad, but it is not allowed to develop as in a fully orchestral only film. It is disjointed as some dots are missing. Maybe there is not even much score left unreleased as the film is just under 2 hours, and the digital release is not even 70 minutes…. 

I quite liked the score in the film. I hate that scenes like the flying dolphin lasts for about 20 seconds and doesn’t let the score breath and carry the scene. In the 90s that kind of scene would last 3 minutes and we would have gotten an outstanding cue. The first ship travel scene, Janes appearance and the very first scene were very well score tho.

5 hours ago, Brónach said:

That the theme is used for Thor and Jane at the same time is kind of boring. It's also the least interesting Thor theme so far.

It sounds like it took inspiration from Ragnarok.

I saw the film the other day and the score really isn't a big part of the film. Two themes stuck out - the two-part main theme and the theme for Gorr and his daughter. The rest was either underscore or just not prominent enough to be interesting on its own or with the film. 

Clemmensen's review of DS2 disappointed me. It's not that he didn't seem to care for the score, which is obviously fine, but he refused to evaluate it for what it is.

He throws out comments about Wanda and Strange's themes fighting as if that's not a really cool thing. He mentions the similarities between Strange's and Wanda's themes as if that wasn't entirely purposeful, and he doesn't mention how Strange's theme links to America's theme or the Illuminati theme. He mistakes Wong's theme for Strange's. He mentions that the Wanda theme dominates the suites when the Strange theme is objectively played more. He doesn't seem to notice the development of Strange's theme at the end of 'An Interesting Question.' 

It's a weird review from Clemmenson, who I've always relied on to deconstruct dense scores to help me understand them better.

I've been a fan of Giacchino for a long time. I agree with Broxton's comments in his reviews of Giacchino scores this year.

I think Giacchino is a great composer and I love all his scores from this year

I watched the movie in theaters the day it came out. It was a fun experience but the movie is a real 6/10. 

The music was perfectly serviceable, but nothing jumped out at me. I'm only now going back to listen to the soundtrack. I'm looking forward to at least giving the album a chance.

• 1 month later...

What a bad movie. We almost turned it off due to the cringe and lack of any sense of urgency. Barely even watchable. It was uneven, unengaging and boring.

The score was inoffensive but the GNR “best of”-album they used shamelessly, in what felt like almost every scene, really got on my tits and further helped to fuel any disenjoyment.

This reminds me of when Batman Forever / Batman and Robin came out. I hated BF and all my friends told me I was too serious / too much of a Burton fanboy (or whatever the word that was used in 1995). Then BNR came out. And EVERYONE hated it. I was baffled. To me they were nearly indistinguishable. All of the faults of the second were obviously (to me) in the first.

I've been saying for years that if Ragnarok wasn't such a good film it would be terrible. What I mean is that it does everything it wants to do perfectly. It's just that it really really hates Thor. I don't hate Thor. That's why I went to go see a Thor movie. So while it's a successful film it's not a very good Thor film. (It does have a couple of my favorite Thor / Loki scenes.)

I'm not sure how much Ragnarok influenced Infinity War / Endgame (the production timelines of these films is wild). But they are definitely all "new Thor". When we re-watched all the Thor movies / Avenger movies this summer it was amazing to see that Thor used to be one of the grown-ups in the room. But nahhh, it's funnier when he's stupid.

Watching him in Endgame recently I thought "Imagine if every time they brought up Peggy Carter or WWII it landed as a joke?" Because that's pretty much what they do with Thor.

Batman & Robin is, oddly, a more coherent movie than Batman Forever. Now that one doesn't make any sense whatsoever and jumps between darkness and camp with no sense of direction. At least the fourth movie commits to something fully and story threads go somewhere...as ridiculous as they are.

I myself prefer Love and Thunder over Ragnarok for the very same reason. I came for a Taika Waititi movie and that's what I got.

Karol