79th Golden Globes

JNHFan2000

https://www.goldenglobes.com/articles/golden-globes-2022-nominations-79th-golden-globes-were-announced

Nominations announced.

Things worth mentioning (suprises):

- Dune for Best Picture Drama

- Emma Stone nominated for Best Acress - Music or Comedy for Cruella

- Maggie Gyllenhaal for Best Director

- French Dispatch & Parallel Mothers for score. Personally I don't get this.

- Squid Game & Lupin nominated for Best Series Drama & Best Actor Series Drama + a nomination for O Yeong-Su for Supporting Actor

- Only Murders In The Building nominated for Best Series Comedy + Steve Martin & Martin Short both nominated

- Elizabeth Olsen & Paul Bettany nominated for WandaVision. No Kathryn Hahn

How are musicals and comedies related? Golden Globes sees it as one and the same category.

BTW, I see that some of my nominees are running (The Power Of The Dog, Jonny Greenwood, Jane Champion and Maid). Of couse, I've hardly seen everything on that list.

I'm going to take a wild guess, but I have the feeling Encanto will win best animated.

Glad for Emma Stone and her great Cruella performance. A bit sad that Britell wasn't nominated for Cruella either although I have only listened to Encanto and Dune so far so maybe the 3 others are better.

52 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I'm going to take a wild guess, but I have the feeling Encanto will win best animated.

Glad for Emma Stone and her great Cruella performance. A bit sad that Britell wasn't nominated for Cruella either although I have only listened to Encanto and Dune so far so maybe the 3 others are better.

Britell's Cruella is a terrific score! Shame indeed it wasn't nominated.

For me Power Of The Dog, The French Dispatch and Parallel Mothers are not score of the year material. Not even close

The French Dispatch looks more like the yearly Desplat nomination to me.

I would personnaly have chosen:

• Cruella by Nicholas Britell (personal favourite)
  • Kaamelott: Premier Volet by Alexandre Astier
  • Encanto by Germaine Franco
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings by Joel P. West
  • Nightmare Alley by Nathan Johnson

Now I'll have to listen to the other less famous movies that I didn't have the time or opportunity to see and listen to

To keep it to the score category:

THE FRENCH DESPLAT....uhm DISPATCH is same-same Desplat for Anderson. Cloppeticlop quirkiness and ostinati. Not my thing at all.

I sampled ENCANTO, but felt like overblown mush to me, with some standard Hispanic tropes.

THE POWER OF THE DOG is decent, but as I said elsewhere, I wish Greenwood opened up just a LITTLE bit now and then. This falls into the Nick Cave/Warren Ellis/Jeff Grace-type of scoring (which can be good, but also dour at times).

I've always had issues with Iglesias, and this is no exception. There's something stark about his often repetitive music, even when he's doing warm and colourful Almodovar. Also didn't grab me.

DUNE is the only one I will applaud in this case. One of the best scores of the year.

I don't mean to be a grouchy old man (although I am), but I've already heard at least 20 scores from the past year that I would put ahead of most of these.

17 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Now I'll have to listen to the other less famous movies that I didn't have the time or opportunity to see and listen to

Don't know Kaamelott. But I agree with the other 4. Great scores!

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

To keep it to the score category:

THE FRENCH DESPLAT....uhm DISPATCH is same-same Desplat for Anderson. Cloppeticlop quirkiness and ostinati. Not my thing at all.

I sampled ENCANTO, but felt like overblown mush to me, with some standard Hispanic tropes.

THE POWER OF THE DOG is decent, but as I said elsewhere, I wish Greenwood opened up just a LITTLE bit now and then. This falls into the Nick Cave/Warren Ellis/Jeff Grace-type of scoring (which can be good, but also dour at times).

I've always had issues with Iglesias, and this is no exception. There's something stark about his often repetitive music, even when he's doing warm and colourful Almodovar. Also didn't grab me.

DUNE is the only one I will applaud in this case. One of the best scores of the year.

I don't mean to be a grouchy old man (although I am), but I've already heard at least 20 scores from the past year that I would put ahead of most of these.

I agree completely on your thoughts. Aside from Dune, there are so many other scores that are a 100 times better than those 4

21 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Don't know Kaamelott. But I agree with the other 4. Great scores!

It's from our french blockbuster of the year. Great movie after 6 terrific seasons, so it also have a sentimental value. I strongly recomand it if you have one hour to spend here's a youtube link to the album

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Golden Globes are the most irrelevant award in Hollywood. It's far from the best way of figuring out the best scores and movies of the year.

Perhaps. It is, however, a sign towards what the Oscars will look like.

The Globes are even more irrelevant now than they ever have been, with NBC dropping them.  AFAIK it's unclear if the Globes will air on American television at all, or what the ceremony will be (if anyone would show up).

If you ask me, I think NBC was glad to use the "scandal" as an excuse to drop them.  I bet it was a lot of money to shell out for a show that was declining in ratings more and more with each passing year.

The Saturn awards are really good because they include all genres of film.

Oscars and most other awards are only focused on one or 2 genres + nominate a lot of the same people. Just because it's a drama doesn't mean it's the best film of the year.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Golden Globes are the most irrelevant award in Hollywood. It's far from the best way of figuring out the best scores and movies of the year.

Show us the way to the real best scores and movies of the year, Edmilson!

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Show us the way to the real best scores and movies of the year, Edmilson!

First step: don't use awards, specially the Globes which have already been exposed as a joke, as your guide.

Second step: I don't know, maybe check the album you listened the most on Spotify?

Use Filmmusicreporter to stay on top of what's being released, and sample stuff on Spotify.

I've found so many scores that way, and it doesn't put popularity, politics or any other crap in the way.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Feels like this could be the year Zimmer wins a second Oscar. 

I think this is right.  A prestige frontrunner has yet to emerge to challenge him.

Greenwood has gotten some buzz, but I don't think enough.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Feels like this could be the year Zimmer wins a second Oscar. 

I hope!!!

Or Desplat like 2014 (Interstellar vs Grand Budapest Hotel)…..can’t believe hans didn’t win…

The winner always looks like it is the best picture among the picture with the original score. The Theory of Everything being this 21st century exception IMO.

So Power of the Dog it will be...

30 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

The winner always looks like it is the best picture among the picture with the original score. The Theory of Everything being this 21st century exception IMO.

2012: Life Of Pi - Picture: Argo

2013: Garvity - Picture: 12 Years A Slave

2014: Grand Budapest Hotel - Picture: Birdman

2015: Hateful Eight - Picture: Spotlight

2016: La La Land - Picture: Moonlight

2018: Black Panther - Picture: Green Book

2019: Joker - Parasite.

Only films in the last 10 years that won best picture and best score were The Artist & The Shape Of Water

58 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Of course it will win! These are awards handed out by the critics, right? 

The Golden Globes used to be less populist than the Oscars but lately I don't see much of a difference between the two.

34 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

2012: Life Of Pi - Picture: Argo

2013: Garvity - Picture: 12 Years A Slave

2014: Grand Budapest Hotel - Picture: Birdman

2015: Hateful Eight - Picture: Spotlight

2016: La La Land - Picture: Moonlight

2018: Black Panther - Picture: Green Book

2019: Joker - Parasite.

Only films in the last 10 years that won best picture and best score were The Artist & The Shape Of Water

I was more reffering about the fact that, like for the Visual Effects category, the awards are going to the one which could have won best picture among the nominees available.

For the oscar:

2019: the only two who might have won best picture among the nominees for best original score were Joker and 1917

2018: Black Panther (exception)

2017: the only two who might have won best picture among the nominees for best original score were The Shape of Water or Three Billboards, it went to best picture

2016: the only one was La La Land

2015: the only two who might have won best picture among the nominees for best original score were The Hateful Eight and Carol, it went to Morricone

2014: the only one was The Grand Budapest Hotel

On 14/12/2021 at 2:43 AM, May the Force be with You said:

I have no idea what people hear with Shang-Chi. That is a mediocre score. I mean this year alone, you have a better Chinese inspired score in The Curse of Turandot by Simon Franglan.

Shang-Chi is just to me a simple, inspired score with a great flow. I know it doesn't reinvented the Chinese inspired score style but it offers a wonderful listening experience in a very symphonic approach far from the usual noisy and electronic sounds that too many blockbusters use usually

Let’s see. What’s the score with the biggest gimmick this year? Those tend to win all the awards lol. Or the composer who seemingly popped up out of nowhere. ;)

Eh. I’m pulling for Zimmer on this one. One of those awards for a collective body of work/“should have gotten it for a prior score (Interstellar)”- type awards.

5 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Shang-Chi is just to me a simple, inspired score with a great flow. I know it doesn't reinvented the Chinese inspired score style but it offers a wonderful listening experience in a very symphonic approach far from the usual noisy and electronic sounds that too many blockbusters use usually

I found it to be the opposite. I think the score is way to simple and way to electronic from a approach standpoint. It is a symphonic score, but it is almost as if the West wrote an electronic version and the director say, "Hey can you convert that to a symphonic version?"

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The award this year is Greenwood's to take. Unless Zimmer really gets some momentum, I think the award will go to TPotD. 

I think it will be Dune or Encanto.

6 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I was more reffering about the fact that, like for the Visual Effects category, the awards are going to the one which could have won best picture among the nominees available.

For the oscar:

2019: the only two who might have won best picture among the nominees for best original score were Joker and 1917

2018: Black Panther (exception)

2017: the only two who might have won best picture among the nominees for best original score were The Shape of Water or Three Billboards, it went to best picture

2016: the only one was La La Land

2015: the only two who might have won best picture among the nominees for best original score were The Hateful Eight and Carol, it went to Morricone

2014: the only one was The Grand Budapest Hotel

I don't exactly understand your criteria. The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything were both Best Picture nominees in 2014. The former won a Screenplay Oscar and was nominated for Directing and Acting, the latter beat the Best Picture winner's Lead Actor. They were fairly competitive nominees. That year was gonna be Birdman or Boyhood, anyway. 

2015, The Hateful Eight and Carol weren't nominated for Best Picture....the only BP nominee in the group that year was Bridge of Spies. I think the main reason Hateful Eight won is Tarantino did a good job making people aware Morricone had never won an Oscar. Thomas Newman could use that kind of publicity...

I think the trend is that it often comes down to a Best Picture nominee. Usually the one with the most support overall, or in closer races (or wide open ones), the one with the more technical gloss or novel scoring approach. In rarer cases, a movie centered on music or a good campaign story for the composer can help. I think these are most of the factors that have come up lately. Certain ones take priority depending on the year. 

Power of the Dog or Dune make sense. Power of the Dog, I think that could happen especially if it starts looking like the BP winner. Dune probably depends on it getting a Best Picture nomination along with how much support it ends up with overall as the showy technical achievement over something like West Side Story. I think there's a scenario where Dune gets like 6 Oscars including Score, or wins nothing but Visual Effects. 

19 hours ago, AC1 said:

The Golden Globes used to be less populist than the Oscars but lately I don't see much of a difference between the two.

I think this depends on whether you see 'populist' as just trying to appeal to what's popular, i.e. usually some popcorn film, or popular with critics, i.e. some pretentious character study that goes over the heads of most people.

Of course there are cases where the two meet - Parasite for example, and arguably 1917.

The GGs have always felt to me like the wannabe Oscars - they're going after usually the same sort of movies, but far less prestigious.

For me personally the Oscars are unsalvageable. Yeah, it's fun to see what happens during the madness on the night, and get briefly swept up when your favourite wins, but between token voting, association-based awarding, and so on, almost no one who wins one has actually won it because they were the best.

54 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think this depends on whether you see 'populist' as just trying to appeal to what's popular, i.e. usually some popcorn film, or popular with critics, i.e. some pretentious character study that goes over the heads of most people.

Pretentious? Is that how people see anything that isn't a popcorn movie? 

I also think the oscars come way to late. If it's the BIG award of the season why is it being handled as an afterthought.

Because now it always feels like 'oh, we'll do what all the other awards do'.

Put it in the first week of January. Much better.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Pretentious? Is that how people see anything that isn't a popcorn movie? 

I used to work with someone who went out of his way to find non popcorny films and he always lent a somewhat pretentious approach to it. It's rubbed off on me a bit - it feels like a lot of films are trying to be something that they're not.

9 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

...it feels like a lot of films are trying to be something that they're not.

But surely you'd agree that this doesn't apply to everything outside the "popcorn movie" category? Do you believe that it applies to a large proportion of them?

On 16/12/2021 at 3:20 AM, Richard Penna said:

Of course there are cases where the two meet - Parasite for example, and arguably 1917.

The GGs have always felt to me like the wannabe Oscars - they're going after usually the same sort of movies, but far less prestigious.

For me personally the Oscars are unsalvageable. Yeah, it's fun to see what happens during the madness on the night, and get briefly swept up when your favourite wins, but between token voting, association-based awarding, and so on, almost no one who wins one has actually won it because they were the best.

But this is true regardless right? You can take out the politics, but you can't take out bias. If five religious guys voted, maybe Mark McKenzie has a chance to win. At the end of the day, did anyone win it because they were the best or just you agreed with their opinion? I think with or without politics, the winner is among the best. That is the best they can do.

• 3 weeks later...