L.A. STUDIO LEGENDS - THE REUNION Video Event

TownerFan

For whatever reason, Journey to the Island sounded especially dynamic and brilliant in the clip.  I like how the other instrumentalists were in awe of the performance.

Excellent work to all involved.    

Congratulations on this video @TownerFan and @mahler3, made for excellent Christmas Eve viewing!

So many details to unpack, but two stand out. Firstly, I had no idea Williams' The Reivers was a replacement score (for Lalo Schifrin of all composers!)

Secondly, that Williams never instructs his flutists on how to perform their solos (but, amusingly, is more than happy to demonstrate piano solos to his pianists :lol:).

Love that you're talking with Gloria Cheng and Randy Kerber, it would be amazing to get some perspective from the "current" generation of musicians whose collabs with JW are ongoing (and hopefully upcoming with Indy 5 and Fabelmans sessions!)

Thank you @TownerFan& @mahler3 for such a wonderful conversation between you and the musicians. Loved hearing their stories and seeing their excitement they have for what they do and of course their memories of John Williams. 

I love seeing their sense of humor and getting to put more faces with the sounds I'm hearing when I hear them playing. 

You could tell they all become more relaxed and convivial as the conversation continued (reminds me of when you catch up with old friends, sometimes it takes a while until the old chemistry clicks back into place). 

I was genuinely sad when it ended after two hours! Could have listened to their anecdotes for hours longer.

• 2 months later...

I didn't watch/listen to this right when it came out, because I wanted to set aside time to watch it on video instead of listen as a podcast.  That opportunity never presented itself, so eventually the other weekend I finally listened to it in audio-only form

Holy cow, even without the video, what a treat this is!  The amount of interesting stories was seemingly never-ending, by the end it felt like everybody had more stories on the tip of their tongue they could have launched right into if there was more time.

Someone should collect all these guys stories and publish a book showcasing what it's like to be an Hollywood orchestra musician, it'd be really interesting.

Great work here as always Maurizio, keep the hits coming!

The stories especially about musicians "passing the torch" from the old pros to the up and comers was really great. 

But also the insight it provided into Williams' process was fascinating. I forget the exact piece it was - Over the Moon from ET I think - that seems like it was only written because JW knew Ralph Grierson (if I have the right piece) was going to be a ailable that day. Pretty cool

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say again how much I enjoyed this conversation, and hope lots of people check it out!