SPOILER TALK: SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)

Jay

I did not like the movie. Visually it is very ugly and fake. In some scenes, it reminded of Rise of Skywalker on how badly it was put together (actors don’t be to be at the set at the same set). The pacing was off and the way that it is edited makes it look that characters only exist when they are on screen (what are other villains and Spider-Man doing when they are not with Holland? I know that is briefly mentioned in case of Holland, but I find it hard to believe that he was just wondering around).

Which lead me to a big issue that I had with the movie: what did Spider-Man accomplish? Once the villains went back to their universe, won’t they return to the moment that they would die? How curing them solves anything?

Other than that, despise seeing the old characters, I didn’t find any action set piece memorable (think on the climax of Spider-Man 3 where sandman and venom team up.. and Spider-Man and Harry join forces.. sooo much better). The score actually worked better than expected, and the choir sounded awesome in my screening. And one last issue: how fair is Holland Peter deciding to not tell MJ and Ned? Didn’t they want that? Didn’t they specifically asked for Peter to remind them? Is not his choice to make.

Such linear thinking. 

My friend Robert had not seen the Garfield films so he needed an explanation as to why he got all emotional saving MJ.

My dear friend Alex who hates movie going will certainly not appreciate what a fine shared movie experience this film is. Like Jay's audience my crown lost the "shit". This was a rip-roaring crowd pleasing film. 

I like to imagine in this multi-verse a universe where there were no spoilers and there was no foreknowledge of the villains or the 3 Spideys. Can you just imagine? 

What might easily be missed is the many quiet moments that make this film a step above. Tobey, Andrew, and Tom were all terrific, Andrew was AMAZING.😉

Hearing the late great Horner music was touching. 

After we left my husband David said this is what the film industry needs and this is what we have missed Because of the pandemic.  

Makes me look forward to the Top Gun and Avatars to come. There is nothing like a shared cinematic experience. 

I want more Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man dammit! 

but anyway. I loved this. I’m sure if I think about it enough I could pick holes in it but it was just fab service done right. 

man. I wish I could 10 year old me back in 2002 after the first movie that this would happen some day.

11 hours ago, saulocf said:

I did not like the movie. Visually it is very ugly and fake. In some scenes, it reminded of Rise of Skywalker on how badly it was put together (actors don’t be to be at the set at the same set). The pacing was off and the way that it is edited makes it look that characters only exist when they are on screen (what are other villains and Spider-Man doing when they are not with Holland? I know that is briefly mentioned in case of Holland, but I find it hard to believe that he was just wondering around).

Which lead me to a big issue that I had with the movie: what did Spider-Man accomplish? Once the villains went back to their universe, won’t they return to the moment that they would die? How curing them solves anything?

Other than that, despise seeing the old characters, I didn’t find any action set piece memorable (think on the climax of Spider-Man 3 where sandman and venom team up.. and Spider-Man and Harry join forces.. sooo much better). The score actually worked better than expected, and the choir sounded awesome in my screening. And one last issue: how fair is Holland Peter deciding to not tell MJ and Ned? Didn’t they want that? Didn’t they specifically asked for Peter to remind them? Is not his choice to make.

Bear in mind that this film was filmed during COVID, so it's likely that for some scenes that the actors weren't on set together for obvious reasons. Which is likely also the reason that two of the villains (Lizard and Sandman) are entirely CGI and their human forms are repurposed footage from their respective films. 

Finally, there is a spoiler thread.

Am I the only one who think Garfield and Tobey introduction is like an SNL skit?

Made even more so with all of the audiences in my theatre clapped wildly when they appear.

And the acting too, I remember when Tobey enters the portal, his acting is kinda off, he just stands there and smiles, and says something along the line of “May I come in?” . Just like what happen when a famous guest star come into an SNL skit 😔

And also their sudden appearance by magic from Ned among all people, is kinda forced IMO.
I get it, yada yada, superhero movie is purely just for fun, don’t think too much about it. But I love Endgame, and I don’t think about the time travel shenanigans, because it advances the story, and it needs to happen.

There is no “cause/effect” explanation or buildup why Garfield and Tobey appear, aside to please the fan.

Hence, It undermines the overall stake of the movie.

———

But nevertheless,

It’s fun seeing them together.

I just laughed and smiled whenever they banter:

> Their discussion about the web slinger between Tobey’s and Garfield/Hollands

> Tobey’s back problem and its treatment by Garfield (I predict this could become meme)

> Holland and Tobey fights Aliens, but Garfield only fights robot 

> How Holland is more of a team-player spider-man, and Garfield/Tobey is not.

These are dreams come true for all the fans. Once in a lifetime experience(?) indeed.

————

But the plot and pacing makes this movie a mediocre one, which is disappointing with all the villains/spideys involved

It's kinda amazing that the movie works so well as fan service and payoff some threads left dangling in previous Raimi/Webb movies. As a narrative though, it's rather sloppy  (especially the first hour) and the plot doesn't make much sense when you really think about it. Obviously, Watts and writers Chris McKenna and Eric Summers focused on getting to the MUCH BETTER second half of the film (which is ultimately what makes it SO worth it).

I was really surprised at how good Andrew Garfield was in this movie, compared to the two poorly written solo films he did (he and Emma Stone were done dirty in those). He seemed to more enthused about playing Spider-Man than Tom Holland or even Tobey Maguire. I did dig Maguire's return and he seemed to be more focused and looser than he was in SM-3. And I really enjoyed the dynamic he, Garfield and Holland had. All those small touches in the film regarding characters and actions (especially Garfield saving Zendaya's MJ) really make the difference.

And watching it in a packed audience really seals the "must see it in theaters" just for the communal experience. The moment when Garfield unmasks himself and when Tobey steps through the portal my showing erupted in cheers, clapping and hooting.

3 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I'm thankful that the last movie I saw in theaters (in February of 2020) ended up being 1917, which was a great way to leave it, especially considering that the last movie I saw in theaters before that was Cats. I just had to see how bad it was, but in hindsight it would've been dismal for that to be my last theater experience...sitting in a nearly empty theater where the background speakers were broken causing the vocals and lyrics to be vastly louder than the music. I heard every breath the actors made during all the weird as hell sequences in that movie loud and clear. 

That being said, what a movie to come back on. Like @Jay and @JoeinAR the crowd was having a blast and it was really satisfying being back in that kind of environment again (even though I was quite uncomfortable still being so close to people. The IMAX I was in had the smallest seats and jammed as many people together as possible, which I didn't love, but whatever). It truly was a blast.

As for the movie itself, quite frankly, it was great. Look, it's Marvel. You know what you're in for. It was a really fun time. And the nostalgic elements really did it for me. The Raimi films were truly my childhood and seeing those villains back in top form as well as seeing Tobey again was just truly heartwarming. Like a reminder of that time and how simple shit used to be. Honestly, Garfield was too. I remember actively being against his movies leading up to ASM1 and the first was surprisingly great. I might have had a deeper emotional reaction to hearing Horner's theme than Elfman's even. Especially since I was worried they'd use Zimmer's. But that's for the other thread, I suppose. I thought they handled having them in here wonderfully and I think these sort of payoffs I felt more than in Endgame (even though I enjoyed them there too). What else is there to say, really?

Does it have some plot-holes and have things that don't quite make sense if you think too much about it? Sure. Are there jokes that sometimes fell flat? Sure. Was some of the CGI excessive and dodgey? Yeah, a bit. Did they let certain scenes of banter between the villains and the Spider-Men go on just a bit too long? Maybe. But honestly, I really really don't care. I'm too damn tired of all the negativity everywhere (not about this film, but like, in general). It was meant to be a nostalgia-filled experience with some fun and heart and that's what it was. It's not even trying to be anything more. And it doesn't have to be.

I had fun, which is more than I can say for most things nowadays. 10/10 experience. 

Your thoughts and experience describe mine to a tee, right down to the small IMAX seats haha. 

Had a similar audience situation. People recognized Andrew Garfield just from the eyes of his suit and went bananas. And Toby of course brought the house down.
“ So are you going into battle dressed as a cool youth pastor? 😂

Garfield felt like he was having the most fun. Tobey seemed a little uncomfortable/unsure about being back, it seemed. But boy, did I get some chills seeing all three of them swinging together and working as a team.

The villains were great. Honestly though, you could have left out Conners and Sandman and given Electro, Doc Oc, and Golbin a bit more time. 

I think what was most impressive was how focused the film felt. It never lost site of Holland’s Spidey as the main character. It could have easily devolved into a mess of plot excess like Spider-Man 3 or TASM 2. They did a good job writing the ship on this one. A very solid four stars. 

side note: I listened to Gia’s score before seeing the film. Did he write any new themes for this one? I guess there was a slow emotional “Lost-esque “ piece . But nothing else really stood out (The quotes from Elfman’s and Horners themes just made my heart ache for those scores. Glad he included them, if even in a small token way)

3 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I think what was most impressive was how focused the film felt. It never lost site of Holland’s Spidey as the main character. It could have easily devolved into a mess of plot excess like Spider-Man 3 or TASM 2.

Agreed. I was very afraid that would happen, but they found the balance surprisingly well.

13 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

Am I the only one who think Garfield and Tobey introduction is like an SNL skit?

Made even more so with all of the audiences in my theatre clapped wildly when they appear.

And the acting too, I remember when Tobey enters the portal, his acting is kinda off, he just stands there and smiles, and says something along the line of “May I come in?” . Just like what happen when a famous guest star come into an SNL skit 😔

Thank you. That nails it.

First up, I loved the movie. But it's got some rough edges.

I can chalk up almost anything in Maguire's performance to the fact that he's 20 years older. His Parker wouldn't be the same anyway.

But Garfield? First off, I haven't seen Amazing 2. ("You're AMAZING!" OK, THAT was hilarious.) But one thing that Garfield nailed in Amazing 1 that nobody else has is that in classic Spidey Peter Parker is an angry dude. Garfield was mostly so happy go lucky he seemed like he walked off the set of Tick Tick Boom.

(Film score nerd alert. Yes, I got emotional when I heard Horner's Spidey theme.)

One of the joys of the MCU in general and Inifinty War in specific is that they really give a lot of thought to who is going to interact and how. Everybody stays in character even if they aren't in their own movie. I don't think this movie did this kind of thing as well. Especially with the Spideys. It felt more Arrowverse and less MCU. The Doctor Who crossovers managed this kind of thing better.

That's another thing: Can you imagine any of these guys being totally OK with not being THE Spider-Man? Even the MCU Spidey? And they all seem pretty chill with all of these dead guys being up and running again.

OK, there was the briefest interaction with May and Otto that had to bring a smile to the faces of any long time Spidey fan. And May and Norman frankly made the whole movie. Without them you don't believe ANY of this even as much as we do.

Stand this up next to Infinity War. I knew IW was flawless before. This movie proves it. Even taking into account that this movie is better than we should have expected. This kind of "juggling all the different characters" shtick is HARD.

So... No grave stone for Ben Parker? What the hell? Was there ever a Ben? MCU Peter didn't bat an eye at the mention of his name. Like fifteen minutes after May died?

OTOH, this is kind of an extended origin story for Holland's Spider-Man, right? Nobody knows who he is. He's a poor kid (young man) with limited prospects and a home-made spider suit and his own web shooters.

Is this a soft reboot? Or is this taking Spidey back out of the MCU?

Finally I think I'll feel about this movie the way that I feel about Civil War. Great movie. Loved it. But it meant that I didn't get a "real" Captain America 3. Or a "real" Spider Home 3. (And I'm still mad I never got a Man of Steel 2 and instead got... That.)

This movie feels like it's got a little bit of Sony on it.

On 16/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, Jay said:

I think the marketing hurt the potential enjoyment of this film.  If they had somehow kept the the fact that the old villains are in this under wraps, it would have been such an amazing experience to see Dock Ock show up on the bridge out of nowhere with no foreshadowing.  And then if we also had no idea who else would be returning, it would have been uniquely special as each villain showed up.  A shame they had to use all 5 villains in the advertising.

I think they made the trade off: If we market the villains we don't have to market the Spideys. Even that is amazing. (Um, incredible? No wait, mighty?) Imagine marketing Infinity War with only the original Avengers? Yeah, I thought when Ock showed up that if I hadn't known this I would have lost my mind. But that's not how you sell a film. (It's not like they gave away that the Terminator was a good guy in T2. Yeah, that one still smarts.) The battle with Ock also feels like the last scene that feels like a Tom Holland Spider-Man.

Yes, people clapped when Matt showed up. Including me. And we went nuts when he caught the brick.

52 minutes ago, superultramegaa said:

Andrew however, he nails it almost every time. The standouts are whenever he remembers Gwen. He really captures the emotions of a traumatized Spider-Man. When he brings up how he lost himself when Gwen died, and after he saves MJ and he tears up a bit, it's just so effective and heartbreaking. I've always thought whether you bought him as Peter Parker or not, his acting was always stellar, especially in ASM 2. 

Agreed. Glad he finally got a decent Spidey film to be in. 

I am SO thrilled that they didn’t just have Tobey and Andrew come in as third act “deus ex machina” devices. It could have very easy to do that. But instead they made them an integral part of the story.

I will say I couldn’t help but be distracted a bit by them (in a good way). But I guess that was unavoidable. Like when Han Solo shows up in Force Awakens. You can’t help but think “THATS Han Solo!”

Can we talk about how the film ended? Some people say it's a downright depressing ending, but I think it's bittersweet.

Sure, everybody forgets Peter Parker (and not Spider-Man), he's lost Aunt May in a manner very similar to Uncle Ben in previous incarnations, and it's a bit gut-wrenching when he goes to see MJ and Ned, but I thought 'that's such a Peter Parker thing to do' when he decided to leave them to their happiness rather than bring them back into his world so soon. And that ending: he actually hand-made his own suit! Somebody got a couple of shots of it on Twitter and it's very much a classic Spider-Man suit, inspired evidently by the Raimi and Webb suits, but with touches of the original comicbook version (the light blue) and retaining the one part they needed to from the MCU's previous suits - the moving eyes. This whole film feels very much like the origin story of Spider-Man. This ends with it feeling like he's actually become the 'friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man' he started as in the comics. For the first time since he was introduced to the MCU, I'm actually excited to see where it takes Spider-Man.

Re. the previous Spider-Men returning: I actually enjoy all the previous films on various levels, even though some films are hit-and-miss at best. I love how the returning Spider-Men's characterizations are consistent with their films - and that was kind of a big concern of mine. I love how TASM Spider-Man gets the closure he so desperately needed following the death of Gwen, and I feel a restored appreciation for the Raimi Spider-Man. The interactions between the three Spider-Men just felt natural. A small little thing as well, just to show the filmmakers did their homework: each Spider-Man retains their unique web-shot sounds, rather than just using the MCU sounds.

The one thing I wasn't sure of is where the villains returned to. But then again, we don't know exactly when they came from, either (Ock and Electro are the only ones we can pinpoint, since Ock recalls the last thing before being transferred is grabbing Spider-Man by the throat after he unmasked, and Electro remembers being caught in the power grid) - it's just the assumption that they all transferred at the time of their deaths (Lizard and Sandman never actually died in their timelines). In Loki, it's stated such events would create variant timelines. My impression here is that they either return to roughly a point in their timelines following their demise, or to the time their respective Spider-Men come from. Ergo, they 'die' but their return doesn't create the variant timelines.

Thanks! I’ll give it another listen with that thematic glossary. I’m sure my opinion of it will improve. I’ve just had longer to sit with Elfman’s / Horners material which is why they stood out more to me.

Also, I dug the little blast of HZ’s electro music (even though it was just a snippet) Nice to see they acknowledged it.

Just got back from seeing it, loved the movie and the chemistry between all 3 Peter Parkers!  

Mid credit scene with Tom Holland was pretty funny, guess we’ll find out what the leftover blob will be me up doing.  I chuckled when I saw the bartender as he’s on Ted Lasso (“soccer is life!”). 😝 

The lost credit scene was more or less a trailer for the next Doctor Strange movie, looks like Mordo will be a part of it, maybe Christine??  Glad I’ve watched What If show as it ties into the upcoming movie.  

3 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Mid credit scene with Tom Holland was pretty funny, guess we’ll find out what the leftover blob will be me up doing.

I think you mean Tom Hardy :lol: I'm guessing the piece of Venom being left behind will lead to the Black Suit in the MCU. Don't know if we'll get a new Venom though.

The best way they could do the symbiote in the MCU is have him get the black suit towards the end of film 1 enabling him to finally defeat that film's villain,  have him wearing it when he appears is some other crossover films, then film 2 be about another villain and he eventually realizes the suit is bad and gets rid of it enabling him to defeat that villain, only for Eddie Brock to find it at the end of the film, who is then the villain of film 3 as Venom.  That would be so much better than trying to condense it all into half a movie like they did in Raimi's Spiderverse

I enjoyed this movie, but here are some things I thought about during or after the film:

• Where did Doc Ock go after the scene where May dies? He kind of goes missing until he shows up at the end to stop Electro.
  • Why does Doc Ock wear a turtleneck beneath his jacket, when in Spider-Man 2, the last we saw of him, he was wearing the overcoat without a shirt underneath? Is this a different Ock from a different multiverse?
  • Why doesn't Ock get electrocuted when fighting Electro, when in the original film, he was electrocuted by Peter causing the inhibitor chip to fry?
  • Why were the other Peters older, when their villain counterparts were the same age as they were in their respective films? My guess is that Ned summoned them from their current times i.e. 2025 or whatever the time is after the Blip?
  • Aunt May would've had spinal damage from her injuries when hit by the Glider, so how was she able to walk after such a serious injury?

These were minor issues, but the film was certainly fun, and it was great to see Molina back as Doc Ock!

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

I enjoyed this movie, but here are some things I thought about during or after the film:

• Where did Doc Ock go after the scene where May dies? He kind of goes missing until he shows up at the end to stop Electro.
  • Why does Doc Ock wear a turtleneck beneath his jacket, when in Spider-Man 2, the last we saw of him, he was wearing the overcoat without a shirt underneath? Is this a different Ock from a different multiverse?
  • Why doesn't Ock get electrocuted when fighting Electro, when in the original film, he was electrocuted by Peter causing the inhibitor chip to fry?
  • Why were the other Peters older, when their villain counterparts were the same age as they were in their respective films? My guess is that Ned summoned them from their current times i.e. 2025 or whatever the time is after the Blip?
  • Aunt May would've had spinal damage from her injuries when hit by the Glider, so how was she able to walk after such a serious injury?

These were minor issues, but the film was certainly fun, and it was great to see Molina back as Doc Ock!

I'm guessing he went to recuperate before joinging the Spider-Men at the Statue of Liberty.

As for his clothing, it looks like his clothing from before the final fight - he doesn't have those glasses on either in the final scenes. His last memory is of choking Peter right after he unmasked... I just chalk it up to multiverse schenanigans.

Are you asking here why the chip wasn't fried a second time? Stark tech, I guess. The ending implies that Octavius recognises the arc reactor as being the perfect end-result of what he was trying to achieve with his machine, the same could be implied of the new chip he was given.

Ned didn't summon the Peters from other realities, they were already there (they both state they were elsewhere, then in the MCU - with Tobey's Peter actively looking for MCU Peter afterward). We don't know how long it's been since TASM2, but it's definitely been some years since Spider-Man 3. The whole implication is that those brought through were brought through around the point they discovered Peter's identity, though there are reasons this explanation does not quite work, same as the idea put forward that they all came through at the point they were about to die fighting Spider-Man (Electro never learned Peter's identity, Venom was brought through from the SSU even though it seems there's no Spider-Man there or at least he's not widely-known outside of NYC, Osborn learned Peter's identity at Thanksgiving Dinner and didn't appear as Business Man Norman, and the Peters would of course know who they are from the start). I don't think there's truly a 'point' they're drawn in from.

TBF, Aunt May would have died since she wasn't just rammed, she was impaled on the Glider's blades. She'd have been dead before Goblin even threw that Pumpkin Bomb. I chalk this up to just being a superhero story thing.

15 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

I chuckled when I saw the bartender as he’s on Ted Lasso (“soccer is life!”). 😝 

Football is life you mean haha. I couldn’t place the actor when I saw the movie but you’re right, it’s Danny Rojas!

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

It's a common thing that when people get badly injured they sometimes don't feel it because of the shock. That's what happened here I believe. That's because after she 'kind of' calmed down she suddenly collapsed because of the blood she had lost due to the glider being rimmed into her.

On 17/12/2021 at 9:11 PM, PrayodiBA said:

I didn't think it was that bad, but Garfield's entrance was definitely handled better than his.

And also their sudden appearance by magic from Ned among all people, is kinda forced IMO.

Yea, pretty much

I just laughed and smiled whenever they banter:

> Their discussion about the web slinger between Tobey’s and Garfield/Hollands

> Tobey’s back problem and its treatment by Garfield (I predict this could become meme)

> Holland and Tobey fights Aliens, but Garfield only fights robot 

> How Holland is more of a team-player spider-man, and Garfield/Tobey is not.

All their interactions and banter were extremely good, and elevated the film over the sum of its parts, and makes up for all the extreme plot and logic problems to overall make it a worthwhile and enjoyable movie IMO

17 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

The lost credit scene was more or less a trailer for the next Doctor Strange movie, looks like Mordo will be a part of it, maybe Christine??  Glad I’ve watched What If show as it ties into the upcoming movie.  

It literally was a trailer, not more or less a trailer.  There basically is no post-credit scene, just a trailer attached before the final copyright line.  I'm sure this exact trailer will be released as its own official youtube video and trailer to run in theaters

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

You're not supposed to think about any of these things in a comic book movie

I haven't been able to discuss the film with stefan because the cinema in Hoórn is closed for Omicron. He asked about gia's score but I told him I didn't want to discuss anything that might spoil it for him. He loves Horner as much as I do and he would have recognized Horners music. His opinion of giacchino is lower than mine but I didn't even tell him that it was an adequate score. 

The Tobey Maguire movies are their own thing.

The Andrew Garfield movies are their own thing.

The Tom Holland movies are part of the MCU, and share continuity with everything else in the MCU (Avengers, Iron Man, Dr Strange, etc etc).

In this movie, Maguire and Garfield arrive in the MCU via magic (a Dr Strange spell) along with some villains from their movies, and everyone returns back to their original world before the end of the movie.

There is no reason to think they'll appear in the MCU again, and you don't need to see their movies first to get what's happening in this one - doing so just helps explains the million in-jokes and references they make to their movies

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A Q.Q. for those who have seen all the Spider-Man films:

Are the Garfield/Holland films still reboots, or are they, in the light of this film,  a continuation?

The way it's constructed in this film is very clever. They treat the Maguire & Garfield Spider-Man films as 'other universes'. They don't act like the movies didn't happen, like it has been done with Batman up till now.

It's very clever. And I think that Marvel will do it with more of their characters.

The total lack of Uncle Ben is really beginning to sour for me. I get that they didn't want to do the same story that TWO major movie series had just done. And I thought Peter's little speech in Civil War addressed it perfectly. But we should have seen his grave right next to May's. What the hell? I mean what would that have cost in terms of story?

Like some comedian once said "There are tribes in South America who have never had contact with the modern outside world. And they can tell you the origin of Spider-Man."

On 16/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, Jay said:

My audience absolutely lost their minds when Daredevil, Ock, Norman, Andrew, and Tobey showed up.  Like, Murdoch got so much applause I am sure I missed some dialogue.  Andrew, some guy knew instantly from the suit (I wouldn't be able to tell you whose suit goes with who at all personally) and starting whooping and hollering and just going nuts, and then there was similar love for Tobey.  It was kind of sweet.  At the end of the movie there were audible gasps when Goblin stabbed him, and then when they were fading away the guy goes "we love you Tobey!"

But seriously Murdoch got just as much applause as them. I don't think Lizard or Sandman got any at all, nor Strange, Happy, or anyone else.

The audience I saw it with pretty much acted the same.  Mat Murdock's cameo was about as perfect as it could be.  I love him catching the brick, and then in response to how he could catch that: "I'm a really good lawyer".  Definitely more light-hearted than anything in the Netflix series and I am okay with that.

On 16/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, Jay said:

I thought all the villains were used well except Norman.  He really needed one or two more scenes to set up his character and his betrayal more.

Norman's betrayal didn't bother me, because he was always a jerk.  Even his scenes in the first Spider-Man where he was nice to Peter was always creepy because it contrasted so much with how he treated his own son.  The Goblin formula may have made him worse, but he was always a selfish villain.

On 19/12/2021 at 12:02 AM, Arpy said:

My rationalization with Doc Ock's and Norman's appearances is that each character managed to survive their respective film despite having seemingly been killed off.  With Goblin, they can use the same explanation that was used in the comics: the Goblin formula gave Norman a healing factor that enabled him to survive being impaled by his glider.  He then disappeared recovering and rebuilding until he could make his triumphant return.

As for Doc Ock, his death is more implied.  Although Otto was resigned to his fate to save the city, the AI in his arms may have had other plans.  In Otto's case, curing him wouldn't have helped much because IIRC, Peter revealing his identity to Doc Ock was instrumental in his redemption and enabled him to take control of his arms and save the city.  So a "cured" Otto would have gone back and died the same way.  But here, we have a villainous Otto who knows Peter is Spider-Man, which means he had to have survived Spider-Man 2, and his arms ultimately regained control over Otto.

Not the greatest of explanations, but hey it wouldn't be the first time superhero stories swept past continuity under the rug.

Aunt May is the trope that happens in innumerable action movies where someone mortally wounded lives long enough to tell the hero what he needs to hear and then die.

I don't understand what Sandman needs to get cured of if he just wants to return (and also he didn't die there)

And if they're meant to go back and die, why are they taken from after their movies? Do they come from a version of events where they survided their last fight and then later died at a different fight? Is that why the turtleneck? Does Ock come from a universe where he's wearing a turtleneck at the river scene? I'm so confused. Are Andrew and Tobey even meant to be the same ones?

18 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I don't understand what Sandman needs to get cured of if he just wants to return (and also he didn't die there)

And if they're meant to go back and die, why are they taken from after their movies? Do they come from a version of events where they survided their last fight and then later died at a different fight? Is that why the turtleneck? Does Ock come from a universe where he's wearing a turtleneck at the river scene? I'm so confused. Are Andrew and Tobey even meant to be the same ones?

I mean Sandman being "cured" is moreso removing his ability so he can be a regular dude again when he goes home. 

They are taken from before they're about to die, with the exception of Sandman (it seems), but perhaps he was taken after seeing Peter Parker without his mask at the end of Spider-Man 3 (it's been awhile since I've seen the Raimi films so I honestly don't remember when he finds out that Spidey = Peter Parker). But the whole point is that the villains are brought in after the point they know that Spider-Man is Peter Parker, which is typically near the end of their time on screen.

It's not a different version where they survived. Andrew and Tobey are the same versions we saw originally, not different ones.

All that being said, no one is really supposed to think that much about it. It's a comic-book movie.